View Full Version : plans for .22? - Archive File

megalomania
June 26th, 2003, 03:34 PM
The_Coyote
A new voice
posted March 25, 2001 08:15 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Does anyone have plans for a homemade pistol to shoot .22 caliber amunition? Preferably .22 birdshot? I want to clear my feild of some rabbits, but there are some new homes in a development across the street and I find birdshot to be the most silent ammo.
------------------
Gun control is being able to hit your target.

PYRO500
posted March 25, 2001 08:53 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
the most silent ammo you can get is subsonic, download angelo's files, I think there is a 4 winds shotgun in there, just make a sleeve for the 22 bullet or a small 4 winds shotgun , beware zip guns arent the safest things in the world to hold in your hands

Crux
Frequent Poster
posted March 25, 2001 09:12 PM
If the "Birdshots" are the one's i'm thinking of you will have a hard time killing a rabbit with them.
we had some and I was trying to shoot some crows with them. I must have been only 10m away and it wouldn't kill them..

BaDSeeD
Frequent Poster
posted March 26, 2001 12:03 AM
22 bird shot sucks period.
They use such small shot, that they have no power beyond about 10 feet!
At about 15 feet... they wont even puncture an empty soda can. The only use i have seen for them... is for against snakes. From the range of your hand.. to your feet (keeping in mind not to shoot your feet) they do a lot of damage. Thats about all they are good for. If you are mowing the lawn, or fishing, hiking, etc.. they are good for snakes.
Any other uses however.... forget it.

------------------
BaDSeeD
Knowledge is the true power, ignorance will bring your demise.

burugle
A new voice
posted March 26, 2001 03:36 AM
Don't use the .22 birdshot... It won't penetrate unless you get really close. If possible use a silenced .22 rifle, if not ordineary .22 ammo don't make mutch noice, so noone will take any notice. Or you could try setting some snares. Works great on rabbits, rodents, neighbours cats ect.
-Good Luck!

BoB-
Frequent Poster
posted March 26, 2001 11:28 AM
Yes, if you dont have any kids, I would recomend some non-explosive traps
But hey, shooting them is more fun, theres a few active topics about silencers.

just...remember where your traps are

richl261
Frequent Poster
posted March 26, 2001 12:03 PM
why not buy a .22 pistol? unless ure in england where every thing is illegal just buy an air gun to kill the rabbbits..

The_Coyote
A new voice
posted March 26, 2001 07:36 PM
I can not buy them. I live in ontario where you can't get anything. Also I am 16 so I can not get one until I am 18. Also where I live no stores will sell them with out a shit load of paper work... I don't know why though. It's a pellet gun for christ's sake!!!! And a .22 I can not get anywhere with all the licensing you have to go through, and you also need to be 18. I might try my recurve or crossbow on them, but I can't aim worth shit.
------------------
Gun control is being able to hit your target.

Agent Blak
Frequent Poster
posted March 26, 2001 10:20 PM
If you live in Canada the is a store called Canadian Tire they sell so not bad stuff you only have to be 18(get you buddy or brother).

SMAG 12B/E5
Frequent Poster
posted March 26, 2001 11:26 PM
If you end up improvising, and don't need a long barrel, check out the automotive shop scrap bins. There are some "push rods" used in some V-8 (Chrysler???) that are 22 cal in ID. Use caution.

c0deblue
Frequent Poster
posted March 27, 2001 12:57 AM
The push rods could be a good solution, provided they'll chamber a .22 cartridge. They're hardened, so the ball ends will have to be ground (not sawed) off. The interiors often are encrusted with engine residues that can be quite tough to remove - try to find the cleanest ones and insure the bores are smooth before firing live rounds.
The strength should be more than okay. We used to use sections of auto antenna (brass and about .25 internal), and a .22 LR fit so loosely it had to be held in with scotch tape. When these "weapons" were fired the shell case would expand to the larger diameter so tightly it would have to be hammered out using a ramrod. Accuracy was of course nonexistent, but I never heard of any blowing up when properly constructed.

Very simple (disposable) guns can be made by taping the barrel(s) to a piece of wood and using a door "slidebolt" for the firing mechanism. A few heavy duty rubber bands provide the "spring", and the bolt is drawn back and "cocked" in the slide notch. Just push the handle up out of the notch to fire. Multiple barrels are possible using this method, provided they're aligned so the bolt hits a portion of all (firing is simultaneous). Not fancy, but effective and cheap.

[This message has been edited by c0deblue (edited March 27, 2001).]

PYRO500
posted March 27, 2001 03:00 PM
you could buy a bang stick, I dont think they need a licence, then you solder a metal tube to the back of the part that screws onto the bullet, then to fire you slam hard on the handle going through the tube withck you are holding. you might need to make a support for this though and they are wildly in accuarate

NightStalker
Frequent Poster
posted March 27, 2001 03:35 PM
I have a quite nice improvised .22 gun.
It is made from a 6mm blank cartridge revolver using a 5,5mm steel pipe as barrel and a homemade silencer attached. It's not too accurate but it does the job.