View Full Version : Easy O2 - Archive File

megalomania
June 26th, 2003, 04:01 PM
ChemBoy
A new voice
posted March 10, 2001 03:51 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I found out how to make cheap and easy O2. Now this might sound funny and stupid but I know for a fact that this works. 2 things you need is some Hydrogen Peroxide and some potatoes. First you put the potatoes into a blender to make a potato extract. Add water to make a soup like extract. Take the extract and put it into a container. Add some H2O2 to the potato extract. Now what happens is the enzymes in the potatoes speeds up the brake down of the H2O2 and brakes it down into H2O and O2 . Now I know this works because I did this in Biology a while back in school.
------------------
What comes up must go down.

Anthony
posted March 10, 2001 08:44 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Even easier O2! - buy a compressed oxygen bottle...

I know the reaction you mean though, the enzyme (catalyse?) in the potato (lots more of it in liver) breaks down the peroxide etc

ChemBoy
A new voice
posted March 10, 2001 09:35 PM
Ahh liver I didnt think of that. I posted the message for the underaged people out there who cant get compressed O2 tanks. Im guessing your talking about the ones welders use?
------------------
What comes up must go down.

pyromaniac_guy
A new voice
posted March 11, 2001 12:53 AM
if you want compressed o2.. go and buy it... here int he states kmart, walmart, sears (at least by me) all carry compressed o2 in low pressur tanks similar to the ones propane used in household blow torches comes it...

Nitro
Frequent Poster
posted March 11, 2001 12:42 PM
Blood has the same results on peroxid.But i think its better you use an very small amount of KMNO4.

Digital-Demon
A new voice
posted March 11, 2001 01:43 PM
All metal oxides will come up with the same result.
H2O2 will decompose slowly into H2O + O2 at room temp, but then at least you know it's pure.

Anthony
posted March 11, 2001 03:18 PM
Yeah, they're sued for small welding outfits (DIY level) the bottles are dispossable (contain about 60litres of 02 IIRC) and are a few quid each.

BoB-
Frequent Poster
posted March 11, 2001 05:40 PM
I've been working on an o2 making regulator, it will use Manganese Dioxide and H2o2.

ChemBoy
A new voice
posted March 11, 2001 06:45 PM
I posted my message for the poeple who are underage and cant get a hold of welding o2.

Anthony
posted March 11, 2001 07:07 PM
There is no age restrcition on oxygen. Just walk into Halfords/a "hardware store" pick one up and pay for it.

blackadder
Frequent Poster
posted March 12, 2001 03:05 PM
What legitimate reason could a 14 year old like me possess, to buy oxygen.

Jhonbus
Frequent Poster
posted March 12, 2001 03:36 PM
You don't need a reason; they won't ask.

blackadder
Frequent Poster
posted March 12, 2001 05:24 PM
I guess I could say it was for a science projekt, just in case there's a really suspicious sales clerk there.

Anthony
posted March 13, 2001 03:44 PM
They won't ask, but if it made you feel better then just say your dad asked you to pick one up.

ChemBoy
A new voice
posted March 13, 2001 06:21 PM
The thing is where I live you have to by 18 up to buy things like welding gas (propain) welding suplies and O2. What I can but is solidox rods and make cool shit out of that.

Anthony
posted March 13, 2001 06:32 PM
I can understand them restricting propane because some idiots inhale it, but they won't let you have 02 but they will let you have KCl03?!

firebreether
Frequent Poster
posted March 13, 2001 09:19 PM
wtf is a solidox rod?

PYRO500
posted March 13, 2001 10:40 PM
why not go to a medical supply outlet (they are everywhere, just follow the cars filled with the old people. you could probably steal or buy an o2 tank from them they may be a bit pricy though. if they ask just tell them that you need it for your grampa who has athsma real bad and sent you to bring him some O2

blackadder
Frequent Poster
posted March 14, 2001 04:01 PM
"solidox" is short for "solid oxygen". It's used in welding applications to provide a source of O2.
It consists of KClO3 and some other binder to hold it together into a "rod".

Basically, solidox rods are sticks of KCLO3.

Mendeleev
November 7th, 2003, 05:42 PM
I can't believe they will not let you buy oxygen tanks, from a freakin' hardware store, that sounds like a load of shit to me. Damn, I hate those suspicious asses, when I tried to buy an oxygen tank the guy asked me if I was making a bomb, but here in South Carolina, there are no laws agaist buying O2 tanks at age 16. As far as I know there are four methods of getting oxygen. One is most likely not possible in house conditions, which involves freezing air, and since the different gases in air have different boiling and freezing point, you could drain of all the gases but oxygen, or drain of oxygen from all the other gases. This method is how oxygen is industrially extracted, but it is not very atainable, unless you can somehow rig your fridge into overdirive (good luck). The other three methods are much more attainable. One is, as was mentioned, adding liver to hydrogen peroxide. This works because the liver is a detoxifying center and thus its cells contain more organelles known as peroxisomes which contain contain the enzyme catalase which catalyzes the following reaction: 2 H2O2 ---> 2 H2O + 1O2. The second method is buying it at Lowes or Home Depot, but that method was unavailable to Chemboy. Chemboy however mentioned he could get solidox rods. To generate oxygen just mix potassium chlorate (the solidox rods) with manganese oxide, which is the gooey, gritty stuff inside batteries. Put the two ingredients into a container and heat them. This will yield oxygen. You can do the reaction with just KClO3 and heat, but MnO2 makes the reaction faster. I personally think it is really gay that you can't buy oxygen tanks wherever it is Chemboy lives, I don't know what I would do without my oxy-MAPP blow torch.

Cyclonite
November 8th, 2003, 11:27 AM
You just posted a bunch of info that was stated above you in one post.......anyways O2 production with h2o2 is a waste of time. Im sure you can find a way to obtain an O2 tank. You put 1/2 the effort into that that you put into making it and it should be no problem. Look at the time vs. product amount. Think how much h2o2 you would go through and time to simply get the same amount from a small O2 tank.

klassasin
November 8th, 2003, 12:01 PM
That is interesting, Solidox Rods. Does anyone know what brand name they are sold under? and maybe where? They sound like an interesting investment.

Thank you for help in advance.

Mendeleev
November 8th, 2003, 03:49 PM
Solidox used to be sold at K-Mart, but not anymore. Try some hardware stores like ACE or Lowes. Also I think the anarchist cookbook (I know I shouldn't mention it, but that thing has occasionally useful information) says you might be able to get it at Sears or a heating and plumbing supply store. You could just make potassium chlorate by distilling a mixture of houshold bleach and potassium chloride.

Edit: I forgot to mention you can mix solidox with sugar and use a fuse to make a decent explosive. Be careful though, its sensitive to friction.

klassasin
November 8th, 2003, 07:10 PM
Friction... curse friction. Thanks for the tips, now I must go look.

Ropik
April 23rd, 2004, 08:22 AM
I prepare my oxygen with H2O2 and manganese dioxide from bateries. I just went to my school class(yes I am still student) and ask: "Has anybody an old batteries? I need some. Thanks" and next day I leave the school with one pound bag full of batteries. Cheap ;) (maybe even cheaper than potatoes). I rip batteries out, place the black stuff to bucket, rinse with tap water(manganese dioxide is acid-polluted) and let dry. Then I place it in my gas-making apparatus(really complicated:flask, drilled stopper, tube through this hole and syringe needle for adding H2O2 stick in the stopper) and slowly add the peroxide. I used this mainly for speed up melting of candles. Stupid but funny: you light the candle and run a stream of oxygen through the flame.

Jome skanish
April 24th, 2004, 09:37 PM
One method for obtaining a steady flow of O2 gas is electrolyzing a solution of copper sulphate. The H2 formed is absorbed in the liquid to form H2SO4 as the copper is "plated" onto the cathode. But I guess this method is useless if you can obtain O2-flasks, MnO2, KMnO4 or H2O2...

vulture
April 25th, 2004, 08:41 AM
You could just make potassium chlorate by distilling a mixture of houshold bleach and potassium chloride.

<nitpick> It's not exactly distilling...</nitpick>

kingspaz
April 25th, 2004, 12:49 PM
Mendeleev, please re-read your posts before posting. Posting of inaccurate information will give you a bad rep, and consistently bad information WILL lead to banning.