View Full Version : Toluene to Benzene? - Archive File

megalomania
June 26th, 2003, 04:13 PM
Alchemist
Frequent Poster
posted March 24, 2001 08:44 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hello all,
Is there a way to remove the methyl group in Toluene? That is, is there a way to convert Toluene back into Benzene? A friend found, a cheap source for Toluene, but he really needs some Benzene and also Aniline!

Keep up the great work.......

------------------

FadeToBlackened
Frequent Poster
posted March 24, 2001 10:07 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Well Ive read that benzene is really nasty stuff. Carcinogen and all, and the OSHA limit is like.. im not sure but extremely small.. i mean really really really small seeing how it is a powerful carcinogen and all.

Hermes
A new voice
posted March 24, 2001 10:11 PM
This info bomb comes courtesy of another board:
Many benzene derivatives occur in nature, e.g. oil of bitter almonds, benzoic acid, salicylic acid, and hippuric acid, while others are obtained from the destructive distillation of organic substances, especially of coal.
The destructive distillation of coal yields (a) gases (illuminating gas); (b) an aqueous distillate containing ammonia and its salts, (c) coal-tar; and (d) coke. Coal-tar is the chief source of benzene derivatives, and is formed in the manufacture of coal-gas for illuminating, purposes, and in "coke ovens" used for the production of high-grade coke for metallurgical purposes. In both cases coal is distilled from closed retorts at relatively high temperatures, about 1000' C, and the main difference between the two processes is the nature of the coal used. For gas, making a bituminous coal containing 32-40 per cent of volatile matter is used, and in order to obtain the maximum yield of hard coke bituminous coals containing from 18-32 per cent of volatile matter are employed.
The tar from the two processes is much the same. At the present time numerous low-grade coals, e.g. cannel coal, lignite or brown coal, and even bituminous shales, are distilled at comparatively low temperatures (500-600' C.) in order to obtain oils, and, in the case of cannel coals, smokeless fuel for household purposes, coalite. The tar produced in all these cases is essentially different from the coal-tar obtained from gasworks and coke ovens. It consists largely of paraffin hydrocarbons, and is valueless for the manufacture of dyestuffs, explosives, etc., but yields valuable illuminating and fuel oils.
When coal-gas was first generally used for illuminating purposes (1813) the tar was regarded as a waste product, and could only be used as fuel, and its value as the source from which important synthetic dyes, perfumes, explosives, medicinal drugs, and photographic developers could be manufactured was only gradually recognized. For many years after the introduction of coke ovens for the manufacture of metallurgical coke, the ammonia and tar formed at the same time were not collected (so-called bee-hive ovens), but at the present time the great majority of the ovens are of the closed type, and are provided with by-product recovery plant. Still more recently, as the demand for benzene and toluene has increased, it has become customary to recover the benzene and toluene contained in the gas from the coke ovens, and even from the gas from gasworks, although this removal appreciably diminishes the illuminating power of the gas. The benzene hydrocarbons are usually removed by passing the gas through scrubbers containing creosote oil, which absorbs the hydrocarbons, and these can be afterwards isolated by heating the creosote oil or subjecting it to steam distillation. The amount of benzene and toluene in coal-gas is, roughly, About 15 times as much as that contained in the tar formed at the same time. In coke-oven gases the amount is only about half this. By this method of extracting benzene and toluene from the gases the amounts of these materials for the manufacture of explosives etc. has been increased enormously.

The following figures will give some idea of the importance of the coal-tar industry: In 1914, in Great Britain, about 14.5 million tons of coal were coked in by-product coking plants and in the USA about 20 million tons were treated in recovery coke ovens, and about 20 million tons in gasworks. In the USA the output of crude benzol was about 14.5 million gallons in 1914 and this was increased to 40 million gallons in 1917. Coal-tar contains as many as 200 different chemical substances these are not present in the coal itself, but are formed during the distillation. During the past thirty years Investigators have attempted to isolate compounds from coal itself by extraction with solvents, such as chloroform (Keinsch, 1910), pyridine (Bedson, 1908), benzene (Pictel and Ram, 1911), but so far few relationships have been established between the, different materials present in coal and the chemical compounds present in tar (cf. Tideswell and Wheeler, J. C. S. 1919, 115, 619). The most important compounds present in coal-tar are benzene, toluene, xylenes, phenol, cresols, naphthalene, and anthracene. Among the other compounds present are homologues of benzene, especially the methyl homologues; complex hydrocarbons, such as diphenyl, phenanthrene, fluorene, acenaphthene, chrysene and retene, indene and its homologues, and homologues of naphthalene; thiophene, aniline, pyridine and its homologues; quinoline, euorene, quinoline, pyrrole, indole, carbazole, and acridine. Most these are of little commercial importance, as the amounts present are small and their isolation from the tar is difficult. Many of the hydrocarbons present in the tar are probably formed by the pyrogenic polymerization of acetylene, as this hydrocarbon when heated yields many of the products present coal-tar (R. Meyer and H. Frieke, B. 1914, 47, 2765). The crude tar contains appreciable amounts of water, and as to be dehydrated before it can be distilled. Numerous methods are adopted, e.g. centrifuging the warm tar; heating the tar, allowing the water to rise to the surface, and removing it by a draw-off cock, or allowing the wet tar to come in contact with the hot vapour from another lot of boiling dehydrated tar. The actual distillation is carried out in iron stills directly fire-heated. In many tar distilleries continuous stills are employed; in others intermittent distillation is used, the pitch being removed from time to time and a fresh charge of tar introduced. The fractions collected vary in different distilleries, but, as a rule, in the first distillation the following are collected: (1) First runnings up to 105’ or 110'; this contains water, ammonia, and some light oil (2) Light oils up to 210' (3) Middle oil or carbolic oil up to 240' (4) Creosote oil up to 270' (5) Anthracene oil above 270' (6) Residue in the still=pitch. The relative amounts of the different fractions vary considerably in different countries and different districts, but the following are fairly typical values for 1 ton of tar -Light oils, 12 gall; carbolic oil, 20 gal; creosote oil, 17 gal; anthracene oil, 38 gal; and pitch, 11 cwt. Calculated on 1 ton of tar, the yields of important products are:-Benzene and toluene, 25 lb., or 1.1 per cent; phenol, 11 lb., or 0.5 per cent; cresols, 50 lb., or 2.2 per cent; naphthalene, 180 lb., or 8 per cent; creosote, 200 lb., or 8.8 per cent; and anthracene, 6 lb., or 0.27 per cent.

The light oils, including those from the first runnings, give rise to 60-65 per cent of benzene hydrocarbons, 12-15 per cent of naphthalene, 8-10 per cent of phenols, and 1-3 per cent of pyridine bases. The phenols are readily removed by treatment with caustic soda solution, and bv treatment with dilute mineral acids.the pyridine bases The neutral substances, on further fractionation under varying conditions, yield 90 per cent benzol, 50 per cent benzol, 30 per cent benzol, and solvent naphtha. The numbers 90, 50, and 30 denote the percentage of the oil which passes over below 100' C., and not the actual benzene content of the oil. 90 per cent benzol contains 81 per cent of benzene, 15 per cent of toluene, 2 per cent of xylenes, and 2 per cent of impurities; and 30 per cent benzol contains respectively 13.5, 73.4, 11.7, and 11.7 per cent. From these crude benzols, by careful fractionation, pure benzene, toluene, and xylenes can be isolated.
In addition to the compounds, such as benzene, toluene, naphthalene, phenol, and anthrace, which are actually isolated and form important articles of commerce, a number of products consisting of complex mixtures are also manufactured. The most important of these are (1) solvent naphtha, which is used as a solvent for rubber in preparing waterproof fabrics and also for burning purposes, and (2) creosote oil, which is used in enormous quantities for pickling timber for use as railway sleepers, posts, and other purposes. For hydrogenation of coal cf. Bergius, Chem. Age, 1927, 134.
Many methane derivatives, e.g. alcohol, yield a mixture containing a large number of the derivatives of benzene when their vapours are led through red-hot tubes. Acetylene, C2H2, polymerizes at a low red heat to benzene, C6H6, (Berthelot)
Benzene is formed when benzoic acid is distilled with soda-lime: C6H5COOH = C6H6 + CO2
Industrial Chemistry is Cool, isn't it?

Alchemist
Frequent Poster
posted March 25, 2001 11:25 AM
Thanks guys, good info!

Mr Cool
Frequent Poster
posted March 25, 2001 12:37 PM
This is how to make benzoic acid from toluene, from an e-mail sent to me from a guy called Robert. Thanks Robert. It's pretty simple to do.

"By the way, if you do get your hands on some toluene, you should know that it can be easily
oxidized to benzoic acid. I did it once, using sodium dichromate. I don't have the correct
amounts method for you, but I'm sure you can figure one out yourself. What I do know: you have to
put toluene in a flask, together with the dichromate dissolved in water. Stir that with an
electric stirrer, then add 98% H2SO4 from a dripping funnel.
It will get hot, so put a reflux-condenser on the flask. After all H2SO4 has been added, boil
the solution for half an hour. Cool the solution and mix with the same amount of cold water,
then filter.
The residue is crude benzoic acid. Dissolve in warm (max. 100 deg.) 0.5M sulphuric acid, to get
the chromium salts out, and filter again. Then dissolve in 2M NaOH until the solution reacts
basic. Unreacted toluene will separate, chromium salts will be transformed into hydroxides.
Decant the toluene, add active carbon, and filter the solution. Slowly drip the filtrate into 2M
H2SO4. Benzoic acid will precipitate. Filter with a vacuumfunnel, and dry the benzoic acid.

Sincerely,
Robert

Alchemist
Frequent Poster
posted March 25, 2001 01:44 PM
Thanks Mr. Cool,
and thank you too Robert............
------------------

Rhadon
Frequent Poster
posted March 26, 2001 08:25 AM
I have read that benzoic acid and toluene will react to phenole. Though, I have to admit that I'm not able to find a chemical reaction for this at once.

Mr Cool
Frequent Poster
posted March 26, 2001 01:07 PM
Do you mean if you mix them together, or do you mean that both of them will decompose to it seperatley? (did you mean phenol, not phenole?)
Maybe C6H5CH3 + C6H5COOH -> 2(C6H5OH) + C2H2

That could be quite a useful reaction, although I'm not sure if it's correct. I just made it up, but it balances. However, I think it's unlikely that it'd react like that.

Alchemist
Frequent Poster
posted March 26, 2001 06:10 PM
Hello all,
Yes this would be cool! Any other chemists out there who would like to respond?

Thanks.....................................

------------------

Rhadon
Frequent Poster
posted March 27, 2001 03:51 AM
Yes I wanted to say phenol, excuse my misspelling. I found the reaction in a book in a library, but don't have the time to look for it again right now. As soon as I get to it (probably in 2 weeks or so) I'll tell you what I have found.

Mr Cool
Frequent Poster
posted March 27, 2001 01:28 PM
OK, let us know what you find out.
Maybe if you bubbled C2H2 through a cold nitrating mixture you'd get an addition reaction, forming C2H2(NO2)4 ? Tetranitroethane? Very oxygen rich, probably a volatile, unstable liquid.

Rhadon
Frequent Poster
posted March 30, 2001 01:18 PM
Today I found some time to search for the benzoic acid / toluene reaction in the library, unfortunately I couldn't find it. The only thing that could be from interest was a reaction between benzoic acid and NaOH which will yield benzene and water when distilled off, but I don't know if this is new to you. Perhaps I have a bit more time next week so I can search again.

vulture
June 26th, 2003, 04:19 PM
Toluene ---> Benzoic acid

2Benzoic acid ----> terephtalic acid + benzene

IIRC, the second procedure is simply strongly heating anhydrous benzoic acid. Benzene will distill over.

DF90
June 13th, 2007, 12:48 AM
If you're mad enough to make benzene, then here are a few routes from some fairly common benzene derivatives:

Benzoic acid: Neutralize with Sodium carbonate to produce Sodium benzoate, Carbon dioxide and water. The benzoate salt is then reacted with Sodium hydroxide to yield Benzene and Sodium carbonate.

Toluene: Oxidize with alkaline Potassium manganate (VII) under reflux. The reaction mixture is then acidified by addition of dilute acid, precipitating the Benzoic acid out. The above procedure can then be followed to produce Benzene.

Benzaldehyde: This too is oxidized under the same conditions as the toluene to produce benzoic acid, and again this is then treated with Sodium carbonate then Sodium hydroxide to give Benzene.

It is possible to substitute other oxidizing agents such as dichromate (VI) salts for the Potassium manganate (VII). I am unsure whether or not the oxidizing agent has to be alkaline or not but i assume it is just to prevent precipitation until the reaction is finished and acidified.

If anyone successfully produces some Benzene, please can they give some feedback :)

++++++++++++++

'oxidising' is spelt 'oxidizing'. I corrected it for you. NBK

megalomania
June 15th, 2007, 08:54 PM
Oxidizing the likes of toluene is a seemingly a good route to benzene, I should know as I have been doing this for several years now. The problem I have, not me personally, but in my research on this I limit myself to oxidizers that ordinary people can actually get ahold of. Permanganates (not manganates) are getting rather hard to find, and, unless you recycle the waste manganese dioxide, can be very expensive to produce decent quantities of benzene. Chromates are fine as oxidizers, but these are quite toxic, and where do you expect to get them outside of a laboratory?

The chemistry is quite well established, the procedure is not at all difficult, but getting all easy OTC materials that are inexpensive and sustainable is the real challenge. I have looked a little into alternative oxidizers. Last year I did find an interesting article in Catalysis Letters for oxidizing toluene to benzene using manganese dioxide and oxygen gas. The reaction does require some pressurization (145 psi), but that is at least doable on the OCT side. The manganese dioxide is only a catalyst, so all you need is toluene and air.

I would try air instead of oxygen to make the reaction cheaper, but one could buy an oxygen tank. The oxygen is added as a make up gas to sustain the pressure, not just bubbled through and lost, so if you went the expensive oxygen gas route none would be wasted.

I found another article in Applied Catalysis that described using a vanadium and titanium oxide catalyst to oxidize toluene to benzoic acid with even greater yield than the above reaction by using a microwave as the heating source. This reaction still uses oxygen and a catalyst, but no pressure is required. In fact yields are increased, at the expense of rate of reaction, by using diluted oxygen (they used an oxygen nitrogen mixture), so I would think air would be good for this especially since this is a continuous flow situation where the gas is continuously bubbled into the reaction.

There is another process I have become aware of to convert toluene to benzene called transalkylation and disproportionation. There is a catalytic reaction where the alkane attachment can be shifted onto other aromatic molecules. With pure toluene it would be possible to form a mixture of benzene and xylene (disproportionation). This reaction could also use xylene to form a more complicated mixture of benzene, xylenes, and mesetylene (transalkylation). I only mention using xylene because it seems even toluene is getting harder and harder to find.

Next up? Better methods of decarboxylating aromatics using microwaves to do the job better, cleaner, with higher yield, and fewer chemicals to use.

Beyond toluene I have found a few more tidbits for dehalogenating dichlorobenzene (good ol urinal cakes and mothballs) using microwave, photochemical, and even sonochemical means (that I have to try). I even found a catalytic method of directly forming benzene is decent yields using natural gas, why they pump that right into my home almost begging me to try it.

Here is a take home lesson for the astute in the audience… Manganese dioxide can be a good oxidation catalyst, microwaves can be a good heating medium, what if we used manganese in the microwave? I love the possibility of microwave chemistry because its about as OTC as you can get.

Enkidu
June 15th, 2007, 11:21 PM
Good info about the use of microwaves in chemistry, mega. IIRC, quite a few people have had good success with microwaves in... erm, the chemistry of psychotropic substances. Anyway, home chemistry involving microwaves is a little researched subject, at least as far as I have seen. This topic would make for an interesting thread, i.e., Microwaves as Applied to Home Hobbyist Chemistry.

The most economical means for most people to make benzene is by refluxing Sodium Benzoate (much cheaper than Benzoic Acid) with a hydroxide, preferably sodium hydroxide. SM has a member publication about X compound goes to Benzene, although I've not more than glanced at it in a long time.

megalomania
June 15th, 2007, 11:51 PM
They do have a very nice compilation of methods including some experimental results. The procedures are derived from 19th century publications, but the old stuff makes it seem easy. The SM experimenters did have some difficulty with the method. It is not that they did anything wrong, it is just that the method is not as desirable or effective as the literature made it seem.

I am not sure if I would consider the method "economical," but it is at least the most doable by citizen chemist standards.