View Full Version : OTC 80% Xylene

green beret
June 28th, 2003, 04:10 AM
Just thought I would let all Oz people know that you can get 80% Xylene from bunnings, under the name "Ezy Kleen - Tile finish". I'm quite sure thats the name, if not, it's something similar. While at bunnings I also picked up a meter long cardboard tube, about four inches in width, I just asked and it was given me free because they didnt need it. I dont know what was on it in the first place.

Edit: I think the xylene was about $24 for 4 litres.

blindreeper
June 28th, 2003, 04:44 AM
Sorry to bust the bubble green beret, but you can get 1L cans of 100% xylene for $15 in the fiber glass section of bunnings. I was there today :p No hard feelings lol But I could only find 60% toluene so if you want to burst my bubble and tell me there is 100% stuff in bunnings feel free :D

green beret
June 28th, 2003, 05:21 AM
Darn it, oh well its still good to have more than one source for a chem, even if it is only 80%.

Sorry, cant top the 60% toluene.:p

blindreeper
June 28th, 2003, 06:31 AM
The 60% toluene is diggers brand "Glue Rid" It's in the same container as diggers acetone and has a red lable. Looks like I'll have to settle for TNX or I could put that improvised still to use...

FragmentedSanity
June 30th, 2003, 01:56 AM
Lo all :)
I dare say most of you know this - but a good source for some solvents in Australia (prolly works elsewhere - but Im talking for me) is your local petrol station. Preferably you want a big distributor, but ask around and see. You can get methanol and toluene... as well as lots of others - you just have to buy them in 20 liter drums.
It helps to know a little about cars / look a bit likle a rev head. The cover story is as simple as the old HQ with the fully blown 253 your working on. Just tweaking the tuning with some experimental fuel mix's.
If I get a chance Ill do an inventory of what I can get at my local depo.
Not quite as simple as Bunnings - but still easy and OTC. Just remember this isnt anything particularly unusual - even premium unleaded needs addatives to work well in a decent car - the octane just isnt high enough - so you can feel pretty safe asking around.
FS