View Full Version : Thermite using only Aluminum Oxide

controlphreak
June 30th, 2003, 09:22 PM
Ok. I am probably wrong, but here it goes. When looking at the basic thermite reaction (Iron Oxide and Aluminum) The aluminum burns, and gains fuel fromt he oxygen in the Iron Oxide. SO Iw as wondering, since Iron itself does nto seem to be very important to the reaction, can you do it with only Aluminum Oxide. I am sure this has been asked before, but I am in a hurry, right now. Thank you for your time on the replies.
Controlphreak

static_firefly
June 30th, 2003, 11:28 PM
Im pretty sure that the Fe2o3 oxidises the Al to form al oxide and Fe. So no.

Nihilist
July 1st, 2003, 12:02 AM
yea, thermite is a reaction between a non-reactive metal oxide(usually Fe2O3) and a reactive metal like aluminum, magnesium, zinc etc.. the iron does not like to give up it's oxygen so when it finally starts the reaction is incredibly exothermic.

vulture
July 1st, 2003, 06:56 AM
the iron does not like to give up it's oxygen so when it finally starts the reaction is incredibly exothermic.

That's a wrong explanation. The reduction from Fe2O3 to Fe is ENDOthermic, but the energy needed is delivered by the oxidation of the aluminium which is highly exothermic.

How could thermite with Al2O3 alone work? No metal can reduce it's own oxide.

Al2O3 + 2Al <----> Al2O3 + 2Al

This is just a simple atom swap and the reaction enthalpy is zero. There's no stability to gain or energy to loose!

controlphreak
July 1st, 2003, 10:17 PM
:( K. I was just wondering, because I am still having troubles getting my hands on some aluminum to be able to use. So I was just wondering if that would work. Anyways, thanks for the explanation Vulture. I appreciate it!

controlphreak

jeffchem2000
July 2nd, 2003, 06:33 AM
This is how the reaction goes:

Fe2O3 + 2Al ---> Al2O3 + 2Fe

yt2095
July 2nd, 2003, 07:19 AM
Controlphreak,

Al2O3 won`t react on it`s own, but all of the S block, Most of the F block, and 2 or 3 of the D block elements would react to make and Alu thermite.
perhaps group 2 of the S block could even be used to create color effects as it reduces your alu oxide :)
(tho i strongly suspect temprature with some of the reactants wouldn`t be sufficient enough to self sustain)

all the best :)