View Full Version : Benzene Diazonium Chloride

jeffchem2000
July 1st, 2003, 04:16 PM
In an old explosives book I have, It describes types of explosives. Under Non-oxidative Explosives it says:

"Some eplosive compounds, such as lead azide (PbN6) and benzene diazonium chloride (C6H5.N2.Cl) contain no oxygen at all."

This is all the book mentions it. So curiosity set in and I have done searches for benzene diazonium chloride on the net and this forum. The net just brings up a load of stuff about dyes and this forum has nothing as far as I can see. What I was wondering was if anyone knows anything about it for example if its a LE, HE and its sensitivity to heat, friction, shock, etc.

Mr Cool
July 2nd, 2003, 06:04 AM
It must be a pretty lame explosive, too little gas and no oxygen...
No doubt it is sensitive to heat, although heat may not detonate it easily. Diazonium compounds like this are made and used below 5*C to stop them from decomposing.
Of all the times that I've used this compound in school, nothing was ever mentioned about it being an explosive. Just the fact that it could decompose if it wasn't in an ice-bath.

jeffchem2000
July 2nd, 2003, 06:28 AM
Thats what I thought but then it was under non-oxidative explosives so I thought the molecule must just "fall apart". So I supose it could be an explosive if it decomposed fast enough but it is more likely to decompose before it could be detonated.