View Full Version : We've heard of ANSoy, how about ANSesame?

xyz
July 13th, 2003, 05:22 AM
I know that a good ANFO mix can be made with Soy oil but I have been unable to find any around where I live. I did notice however that you can buy Sesame oil (for use in asian foods) and I am wondering if this could be used in an AN mix.

Any thoughts on this? Has anyone tried this already? If nobody has tried this, I will try to get around to dreaming about trying it sometime.

blindreeper
July 13th, 2003, 07:34 AM
I was looking at sesame oil just 2 days ago and wondering the same thing. I suppose with ANFO's you can use almost any fuel hence ANSoy so theroetically ANSesame should work. Looking forward to results!

xyz
July 13th, 2003, 09:05 AM
Results may not come for a while because I will have to find time to dream about making some AP, make some det cases, dream about mixing the ANSesame, and dream about testing it. I am also rather busy at the moment.

DBSP
July 13th, 2003, 11:57 AM
I've succesfully used rapsoil for ANFO.

Just about anything can be used for ANFO, vagatable oil, wax, petroleum products, alcohols etc. So I see no reason to wjy it shouldn't work.

I belive that the largest differenence between the different fuels is how sensitive the ANFO gets, power does of course also vary but I belive that the sensitive it the things that varies the most.

The % of fuel is the greatest source of sensitivity variation.

Arthis
July 13th, 2003, 01:55 PM
Don't you have problems in mixing the AN and the fuel if you use some less liquid fuels ?

Al Koholic
July 13th, 2003, 03:46 PM
Well, for things that are less liquid (ie: aluminum powder, butter, etc...) you just have to mix more. When using waxes or low melting point solids like butter as a fuel you would just melt the substance and then mix it hot.

ALENGOSVIG1
July 13th, 2003, 04:53 PM
When using highly viscous fuels like soy oil, its beneficial to let the fuel soak into the prills for several days.

"The fuel impregnation tests have also been completed using the raw soybean oil. Between the first and fourth days of mixing, there is very little indentation on the witness plates. After five days there is a noticeable difference with a quadrupling of witness plate deformation (Figure 5). This phenomena has been verified by microscope studies and is due to a combination of the viscosity of the oil and the macrostructure of the prill."

Taken from: http://web.umr.edu/~boom/soy.html

xyz
July 14th, 2003, 04:34 AM
OK then, I have dreamed about mixing 200g of ANSesame that I will dream about testing in a week or so. There is 100g of ANSesame using powdered AN and 100g using prills. I will be dreaming about testing them with 2g AP dets.

Sonny Jim
July 14th, 2003, 03:17 PM
Are you sure 2g dets are enough?

BTW, I can't get prilled AN, only powdered, but I have heard off hand mention of microspheres that reduce the AN powder's density, but I havnt the first idea what they are, or how to get em. Anyone?

DBSP
July 14th, 2003, 05:46 PM
Here we go again.

The microspheres are small ballons made of either glass or plastic. They are used to lower the density of some glues and expoxies. Some hobbyshops carry it.

A simple google search will give you both some info on the spheres as well as some suppliers.

Xyz: how many % of oil did you add to your AN? I do also wonder if 2g is enaugh, I'd use at least 4g. But it would be nice if it infact did work with a 2g det.

kingspaz
July 14th, 2003, 07:53 PM
Sonny Jim, for micro spheres search for (hint -->) 'fillite' used as a glass fibre filler.

xyz
July 14th, 2003, 10:29 PM
I dreamed that I used 4-5% oil. I will be trying with 2g dets and I will try 4g ones if the 2g ones don't work. I suspect that the prilled ANSesame will need a 4g det or better.

knowledgehungry
July 15th, 2003, 12:05 AM
What about peanut oil? That would be interesting indeed.

cutefix
July 16th, 2003, 12:06 AM
Oh dear what are you people doing,
stir frying?

You start with sesame oil then you go to peanut oil.
I would rather use these flavoured oils for cooking than for explosives
:D
They are less common than soya oil and therefore is more expensive..
It might smell like chinese food;
I mean , the fumes of Ammonium nitrate /flavored oil (AN/SESAME OIL) and (AN.PEANUT OIL) after the explosion.:)
Now for a pure american ANFO why try not adding bacon drippings to the ammonium nitrate prills and see how the smell of the fumes comes out.:D

xyz
July 16th, 2003, 04:07 AM
It isn't the cost of Sesame oil compared to Soy oil, it is the availability, and since it only takes 30g of oil to sensitize 1Kg of ANFO, cost is not really a worry to me.

knowledgehungry
July 16th, 2003, 01:21 PM
My mom always saves the lard from bacon, she pours it into a can then when it gets full she throws it away. This is an excellent idea cute fix well im off to test some ANBacon. See you guys later:p ;) .