View Full Version : Extraction of Nitroglycerin from DBSP

Cricket
July 16th, 2003, 05:44 AM
I am very interested in extracting NG from DBSP. I have been looking for a suitable solvent that will dissolve NG, but leave the NC be. I found this webpage (http://www.wolff-cellulosics.de/index.cfm?PAGE_ID=1076) that deals with the solvents of NC. I haven't found much of anything on NG solvents. Does anyone know of such a solvent or method of seperation? Any help is much apperciated.

DBSP
July 16th, 2003, 06:16 AM
Even if you would find a sutible solvent the % of nitro in the DBSP would probably be very low. I belive to low to actually be worth the trouble, much easier to make it then. It wouldn't be very cheap nitro either, unless you stole a truckload of it.

Has anyone got any idea of the % of nitro in common DBSP.

Cricket
July 16th, 2003, 06:54 AM
I just found this page that said "Double-base powders differ in the use of a non-volatile organic nitrated compound, in this case a liquid gelatiniser that remains amalgamated with gun cotton. The solvent-free powders contain between 20 and 50 per cent nitroglycerin. The action of the gelatiniser is highly dependent on the presence of nitrogen in gun cotton; in some cases, an auxiliary solvent such as acetone must be used.The oldest variations or brands of double-base powders were called Ballistite and Cordite.". Here is the URL (http://www.nobelsport.fr/gb/PAGES/29_32.htm) if anyone is interested. 20 to 50% sounds good to me! And I would use the NG to detonate the NC (or binary explosive I would make with it) anyway, so I would have to buy the DBSP in either case. Thanks.

frogfot
July 16th, 2003, 04:11 PM
Some common NG solvents are: ethanole, methanole, ether, benzene, nitrotoluene, conc. acetic acid and chloroform.. the first two don't dissolve NC for sure, id try methanole cause it's always sold as 100% (will dissolve more NG).

Cricket
July 16th, 2003, 08:09 PM
Wonderful! I will try this with, if not pure methanol, then denatured alcohol. I will post the results this week most likely. Thanks everyone!

Frogfot, I know you are in Sweden, but what can you buy pure methanol as? Maybe de-icer in a can?

Shit. I just read methanol is a solvent for NC. I will try anyway, maybe with diminished purity.

frogfot
July 17th, 2003, 04:24 AM
It cannot be possible that methanole dissolves NC.. i tryed this some seconds ago and NC cotton remained as cotton.. even smallest fibers remained intact.
MeOH comes from a reliable source (lab).. :rolleyes: However, i think i saw it somewhere as cleaner (gonna hunt for this). I think it's legal when some stinky crap is added so that people can destinguish it from ethanole.. this crap should be below 10-20%

Cricket
July 17th, 2003, 11:43 AM
I have researched for hours and hours and came to the conclusion that maybe methanol will dissolve the less nitrated forms of NC, but propellant grade should be fine. So you are correct (I hope). It may be a while before I find out though. I found out that my local store doesn't even carry denatured alcohol any more :( . They still have acetone though :D. Oh yea, a little sliver of info, I read that Alliant Bullseye contains 40% NG (by weight I am guessing). So it will be my powder of choice for this experiment, and all in the future :D. Thanks for all the help everyone.