View Full Version : Best condenser for NA vacuum distillation

BLASTER
July 16th, 2003, 10:14 AM
While browsing old topics, I've not found any specific on type of condenser good or best for vacuum distillation of nitric acid. I'm building new apparatus, so looking also for adequate type and size of condenser, for boiling flask volume of 1000ml. Also I want to know, if someone have experience with various types of condensers.

Arthis
July 16th, 2003, 01:36 PM
The first principle of a condenser is to have the largest area possible in contact with a cold source, to allow the fumes coming out of the column to cool down and condensate.

There are several sorts of condensers, about any works well with NA, but some are more efficient than others.
First Liebig condenser, consisting of 2 imbricated tubes, the fumes go through the smallest one, and water is going between the two. This is the base.
Then comes several modifications, to allow a larger cooling area. Bulb condensers are the same, excepted the smallest tube is replaced by a succession of bulbs, you get the point.

You can make about any design, I'm thinking about the one Blindreeper made.

The longest your condenser, the more efficient it will be (if we silence the problem of overpressure, which can be considered as minor in the case of happy amateur's first time distilling NA). Standard condenser are about 30-40 cm, available at school, I mean ;). When making yours make it as long as possible with neon tubes since they have a pretty high diameter.

Water cooling is recommended, as if you don't do it you're most likely to experience problems with fumes not condensing (also Blindreeper).

BLASTER
July 16th, 2003, 03:12 PM
So, as I understand vacuum should not be a problem for any type of condenser. Then I may omit spiral types, where condesation occurs just in spiral and liquid can collect in condenser, while not installed in almost vertical position. Also bulbs had probably similar problem. While looking in lab glassware catalogue, Dimroth spiral type comes in my mind, where cooling media flow inside in spiral and is also cooled from outside. Looks like efficient condenser, I think about length of 300mm.

ALENGOSVIG1
July 16th, 2003, 04:59 PM
I don't believe you can use a alihn condensor for distilling. Just get a 300 or 400 mm liebig or west condensor. They are pretty cheap and they work well. You can get away with using a 200 mm condensor for distilling nitric acid but it's not great for distilling things that are harder to condense or for refluxing.