View Full Version : useful for distiling nitric

zeocrash
July 19th, 2003, 03:41 PM
i saw this exotic condenser on ebay and i was wondering if it could be used to concentrate nitric acid.
http://ebay3.ipixmedia.com/abc/M28/_EBAY_107030972009818f8d1d75785722b9b6/i-1.JPG
(the pic ain't mine so i dont know how large it is)
i was thinking of putting it ontop of a flask like a reflux column this would cause most of the water to condense on the inside column and drop back down into the flask, the HNO3 would then go down and exit through the exit hole in the bottom. any ideas
if anyone knows what this condenser is actually used for, please tell me.
oh yeah and dont try and outbid me on this auction, or i'll be really really disgruntled.

Arthis
July 20th, 2003, 07:42 AM
I saw one that looked like that a while ago, on a market place, (you selling lots of old stuffs). I didn't buy it because 60€ seemed to be a little expensive (I already have a condenser).
How price is your auction ?

With that condenser you have a greeat cooling area, but you may need to do the distillation under vacuum.

This stuff is just like a starndard condenser, the shape is different but nothing more.

The size of the one I had seen was about 40 cm lenght.

ALENGOSVIG1
July 20th, 2003, 02:33 PM
Its a friedrichs condenser. You dont need one for standard distillations. Just use a west or liebig. Friedrichs are usually used in rotovaps i belive.

Theres no need for a fancy condensor when distilling HNO3. You just need a shitty 200mm liebig or west. Those HNO3 vapous are easy to condense!