View Full Version : AP toxicity

Actu
April 6th, 2001, 04:20 AM
Is there any concern with ap toxicity ? Especially can it be like some other explosives absorbed through the skin ?

Thanks

PYRO500
April 6th, 2001, 03:56 PM
I dontthink ap can harm you by touching your skin (unless its unwashed)and i think acetone compounds will fry your brain if ingested

CragHack
April 8th, 2001, 05:23 PM
I have handled AP, and it does not give you any short term complications like headaches (NG) or any type of rash or blister (can't think of an explosive that does that, just using an example). this doesn't mean it doesn't have any long term effects. but if you wash it you shouldn't have problems.

------------------
...Æ

John456
April 8th, 2001, 07:29 PM
If its impure it will bleach your hands and sting a little. other then that its no problem unless you swallow it. Picric acid gave me a rash after handling it crag.

Anthony
April 9th, 2001, 04:08 PM
Picric Acid is toxic, you shouldn't handle it with bare skin!

TylerDurden
May 7th, 2001, 08:46 AM
I would like to know this too. There seem to be no short term effects. But what about long term effects?. It's known that radicals can cause cancer and since AP is a peroxide it will readily form radicals. So could AP cause cancer when absorbed through the skin or when the dust is breathed? But on the other hand: hydrogen peroxide is used for bleaching hair, so not all peroxides are dangerous. But there is a possibility that AP and HMTD are. And I think we should find out. Because what if it proved to cause testicular cancer (or something else)? Then all of you that now are playing around with this stuff will soon have to join Bob and cry your heart out between his tits.
But you can look to it from the bright side: "only when you have lost everything, you are free to do anything".

Demolition
May 7th, 2001, 09:02 AM
Forgive me for asking but what are 'radicals'?
Demolition

Actu
May 7th, 2001, 03:21 PM
Demolition: in molecules each bond is made of 2 electrons that 2 atoms share. When a bond breaks up, one atom can take back the 2 electrons (A-B also written A..B gives A.. and B ie A- and B+) or each atom can take back its own electron so A-B gives A. and B. These two (A. and B.) are called radicals. Because they don't respect the octet rule they're very reactive and can cause a lot of damage in cells.

TylerDurden
May 9th, 2001, 03:48 PM
Precisely! Now, where are those guys with all the chemical knowledge? You should know where to find this information. And I think it's important that we know because what if it will cause cancer or some other fine disease? I, for one wouldn't play around with it no more (or maybe I will because it's too late anyway, depends on the disease).
I don't want to scare you people but it is a possibility and one should know what the dangers and consequences are when one starts to play around with this stuff. But then again playing with explosives is risky anyway, so...what's a little disease when one faces death http://theforum.virtualave.net/ubb/smilies/smile.gif.

"First you have to know, not fear, that you're gonna die"

Anthony
May 9th, 2001, 05:11 PM
I heard that AP is a carcinogen, source wasn't reliable though. Mind you practically everything today is labelled as carcinogenic, it's silly really because they're making people less afraid of bad carcinogens like benzene.

PYRO500
May 9th, 2001, 05:14 PM
at one point the acetone I used had benzene in it

[This message has been edited by PYRO500 (edited May 09, 2001).]

TylerDurden
May 10th, 2001, 06:55 AM
You're right in saying that when chemicals are labelled carcinogenic it doesn't tell you if they are really dangerous. That depends on the amount, and the way you're exposed to it (swallowed, ingested, skin contact, breathed) and maybe even how many times your exposed to it (even water is a deadly poison: drink too much of it and your gonna die).
But that AP (an organic peroxide) is labelled as a carcinogen worries me nonetheless. Because it could be really dangerous like benzene! Hopefully someone can tell us.
I always knew there was a chance of being poisonous but if I was about to experiment with this stuff for the first time I would think twice and wait for the definite answer.
And PYRO500: I'm sorry for you man! Benzene in the acetone! You better ask yourself what you wished you'd done before you die.....and go do it.

"Only when you have lost everything, you're free to do anything"

PYRO500
May 10th, 2001, 05:42 PM
I only used a quart of it, and it was only in small amounts, btw many commercial metal cleaners contain benzene, if you were to fill a squirt gun with one and soak someone with it they'd get hives all over

John456
May 10th, 2001, 08:42 PM
Yuck, mine has benzene in it too. Anyone know how much is in it or if it presents a serious risk? I expect to develop some sort of cancer in my lifetime, but better later than sooner http://theforum.virtualave.net/ubb/smilies/smile.gif

PYRO500
May 10th, 2001, 09:25 PM
I'm guessing you have the stuff with the purple jar and the plastic/metal screw on lid, that stuf is cheap and I did not have as good results with it, I personally would go with a 1 gallon can of acetone, they are worthwile if your gonna make alot of ap. mine has lasted many months, although after being left in the rain the top has rusted you should frobably put it in a plastic jug (kidding, acetone eats most plastics, but I will probably put it in glass jars

John456
May 10th, 2001, 10:25 PM
It came in a quart red metal solvent can, its ACE brand. Its in a glass jar now since the solvent cans are hard as hell to pour without spilling it all over. On the back it says "Use of this product will expose you to benzene, which has been known to cause cancer in laboratory test animals". Does the kind you buy now contain no benzene? What brand is it?

PYRO500
May 10th, 2001, 10:52 PM
the kind of acetone is klean strip I think. all the chemicals I use are in this picture:

geocities is not letting me link to this pic so cut and paster this into your browser.

"www.geocities.com/pyro2000us/chemicals.JPG"

[This message has been edited by PYRO500 (edited May 10, 2001).]

John456
May 10th, 2001, 11:32 PM
I think i saw that brand at the store but it was a lot more expensive than the other stuff.

TylerDurden
May 11th, 2001, 06:03 AM
OK, can we go back to the topic? And that is if AP or HMTD are poisonous/carcinogenic.

bryan_wilson65
May 11th, 2001, 07:28 AM
The first time I made AP I tasted it. I knew that was safe, because it is not soluble in water. It could have contained traces of the H2SO4, but I simply pH tested it during the manufacturing process. After rinse with NaOH it was at pH 12 and after extensive wash with water it got down to pH 7 again.

Now, if AP is a carcinogen I can't tell, but I have an interesting link for you.
http://www.open.k12.or.us/mars/etag/mmpfs121.html
Maybe it's not?

TylerDurden
May 11th, 2001, 01:07 PM
It is safe because it's not soluble in water? Great logic. Can't argue with that. And since your still alive you probably conclude it's not poisonous right?
By the way, how did it taste?
Since it's safe (because it doesn't dissolve in water!) I have an idea: why don't you taste every day a little bit more and tell us what happens. When we stop hearing from you we can figure out the LD and this way you made a positive contribution to this forum after all http://theforum.virtualave.net/ubb/smilies/smile.gif.

bryan_wilson65
May 11th, 2001, 03:27 PM
A solid, which is not soluble in water. And I know the formula. Yep, it can be tasted once if it's pure. But I don't know your lab technique, so I can not recommend you do it.

Now there is only one problem, AP could be carcinogenic, but the article (which you of course neglected) is about the use of acetone
peroxides in food. Read it, and judge for yourself.

Well, you could probably tell me what it tasted? I knew it before I did.

TylerDurden
May 12th, 2001, 03:07 PM
OK, I'm sorry. I neglected it because I thought your where not serious. I just read it and maybe you're right: when they use it to bleach flour it probably is safe.
But it's not certain. And I wonder why they would use especially acetone peroxide for this purpose? It's a sensitive primary explosive one should expect other bleaching agents to be more handy. But thanks anyway for your help.

TylerDurden
May 12th, 2001, 03:09 PM
Delete

[This message has been edited by TylerDurden (edited May 13, 2001).]

bryan_wilson65
May 12th, 2001, 03:11 PM
It did not taste anything, because it is not water soluble.

If you sniff it into your nose, you would probably feel a bit more uncomfortable. I did the first part, will you follow? http://theforum.virtualave.net/ubb/smilies/wink.gif

FadeToBlackened
May 12th, 2001, 04:10 PM
Some very odd things have been used for bleaching in the food industry, one being nitrogen trichloride (NCl3), which is also sensitive and unstable.

PYRO500
May 12th, 2001, 06:44 PM
the acetone peroxide we know is tri acetone tri peroxide they did use just acetone peroxide in bleaching applications

TylerDurden
May 13th, 2001, 07:28 AM
Yes, and it doesn't mean AP is safe anyway. It just means AP is a bleaching agent and the reaction products of AP with flour are not poisonous (if you trust the authorities for that. I don't).
But it doesn't tell us anything about the toxicity of AP itself (if it will bleach flour, imagine what it can do inside your body!)

Anthony
May 13th, 2001, 12:28 PM
It may not actually bleach the flour, but catalyse the maturation process that turns the flour white.

TylerDurden
May 13th, 2001, 03:15 PM
I did a quick search on the internet to find out something about the toxicity of organic peroxides. But there was very little information on it. Datasheets of wellknown organic peroxides like benzoylperoxide don't mention carcinogenicity. That is to say: they don't know it yet if it is a carcinogen or a mutagen. The information is "not available" or it is "investigated" or "studied". By the way, the lethal dose of these chemicals is not very low, so as long as you don't eat it you don't die immediatly.
Maybe someone else can find the information (information of any organic peroxide is good). If not, than playing with this stuff is even more dangerous than it is already: it may kill you in a slow way without a bang. But maybe not.

PYRO500
May 13th, 2001, 04:48 PM
hydrogen peroxide is actually very toxic to cells, that is why you use it as an anti infectant, one of the things in your cells are called lysosomes, these contain h2o2 and break open when the cell dies dissolving it, one of the causes of aging is from leaky lysosomes

PHILOU Zrealone
May 14th, 2001, 06:45 AM
I have also tasted it and it is slighly sweet like suggar...but tasting something doesn't mean to swallow it http://theforum.virtualave.net/ubb/smilies/wink.gif !
Peroxydes are indeed toxic by contact with the skin (especially the thin parts!) because of their propention to generate free radicals that are extremely reactive and denaturate living cells (kills them or produces mutations that often induce local carcinomes!).
Now learn that your saliva and your blood contains enzymes especially catalase that degradates fast peroxydes into ethers and water!
And peroxydes are produces while cells are working (in situ) near organites and especially near mytochondrias...wher you can find H2O2 and O2(2-) (superoxyde)! Thus the cells must neutralise it otherwise it would kill it!

------------------
"Life that deadly disease sexually transmitted".
"Chemistry is all what stinks and explode; Physic is all what never works! ;-p :-) :o)"

TylerDurden
May 18th, 2001, 10:10 AM
That might be true, but it doesn't answer the question: will acetone peroxide kill you the slow way?
So the question still is: is acetone peroxide (or HMTD) a carcinogen/mutagen/poison?
And if this information is impossible to find, information on other organic peroxides might be helpful and give an indication. Someone?

PHILOU Zrealone
May 18th, 2001, 10:47 AM
Toxicity must be high if a big quantity is ingested or upon a prolonged contact with thin parts of the body skin!

Anyway think a bit to what I have said, if it kills cells then a big quantity will kill all the cells it goes in contact before being deactivated by body enzymes (since when killing the cell, it breaks cells membrane and thus release all actives enzymes that will neutralise it).
Thus imagine a little what are the number of cells in the long way from your month to your stomach you need to kill before being killed..not an easy question, I know!
Also consider that CTAP will release aceton...is aceton non toxic agent? ... NO... so it is indeed a poison as toxic or even more than an equal quantity of pure H2O2 or Aceton!
Now do a little search on LD50 of H2O2 and Aceton and imagin what could be the lethal quantity of CTAP!
Now in injection it is lethal in a few seconds since peroxydes set O2 free in the blood due to catalase presence in the media..and injection of gas bubbles in the blood stream produces paralysis/tromboses!

------------------
"Chemistry is all what stinks and explode; Physic is all what never works! ;-p :-) :o)"

PHILOU Zrealone
May 18th, 2001, 10:51 AM
Too tired: mouth instead of month!
http://theforum.virtualave.net/ubb/smilies/smile.gif

PYRO500
May 18th, 2001, 05:43 PM
tromboses? don't you mean thrombosis as in forming blood clots in a blood vessle or chamber of the heart?

PHILOU Zrealone
May 21st, 2001, 05:02 AM
Yes precisely...in contact with air or oxygen, blood can make clots and stop the flow of the blood stream necrosing a piece of the brain, the heart a blood vessel!
Sometimes even a single bubble (of oxygen) can do the same, thus you don't actually need clot formation!

------------------

TylerDurden
June 19th, 2001, 04:10 PM
A very important question. Still no answers. Anyone?

cutefix
June 20th, 2001, 05:02 AM
Explosive toxicity is not a thing to be worried,rather than not being blown by your own creation.If you are afraid of toxicity ,then you are afraid of chemistry,it has become your master then its better for you to have a life far from it.
Chemistry should be our dutiful Servant,not the Master!

CragHack
June 20th, 2001, 06:40 PM
yeah... right... a very well crafted answer that makes no sense. i mean just because something is toxic to handle doesn't mean you should give up explosive chemistry. should everyone give up this field cause TNP will hurt you if you don't where gloves when you handle it... now i am sure you can answer that question yourself.

------------------
"If you must, do it with intelligent people, at least they know how to talk to the cops."

cutefix
June 21st, 2001, 09:59 PM
I think it makes sense craghack.Fear is the result of ignorance.If one is deeply interested in chemistry,he will know how to protect himself while doing the experiments.If he has enough learning due to deligence,he can emancipate himself from his fears.

“Knowledge is the light that remove the darkness of ignorance.”

Mekap
June 21st, 2001, 10:49 PM
Brian_Wilson65 says "The first time I made AP I tasted it. I knew it was safe, because it is not soluble in water".
Philou Zrealone says "I have also tasted it and it is slightly sweet like sugar...but tasting something doesnt mean swallow it"

Great fucking idea, can you peckerheads test some of this potassium cyanide I just made?

Philou are you female? Because you should really learn to swallow!

[Philou has been here for a long time and is quite experienced in chemistry. mabe it wasnt a good idea but dont be an ignorant shithead]

[This message has been edited by ALENGOSVIG1 (edited June 22, 2001).]

PHILOU Zrealone
June 22nd, 2001, 10:35 AM
I know, I know not clever!
To taste things...but I do it in very very little quantity and never swallow it!
I can tell you that the mercury-silver amalgam I have in my teeth should be quite toxic too.I can tell you also that with all the things I have tasted in the past (when I was young and stupid) I should be dead by now (phenol, mercury, nitric acid, chlorhydric acid, sulfuric acid, ammonia, KNO3, NaClO3, suggar ;-),trichlorethylen, trichlorethan,tetrachorometane,...my conclusion is that toxicity is a mather of dosis and of swallowing!
I think it is a good idea to taste and smell some things even if it is dangerous so if by accident you smell the same somewhere you know what it is!I'm sure you can distinguish from each other chlorine, ammonia, iodine, NO2, HCl, phenol, benzene, toluene, xylene,... and all those are toxic by inhalation !

Why have I tasted CTAP? Simply because I know it can't harm me in the quantity I have taken; also I'm a very good chemist and know what can happen to it when in contact with my saliva...I know peroxydes is part of every single living cell!

No, I'm sorry for you but I'm a guy - a tripod.
BTW I have already asked the question about women in explosive field on alt engr explos one year ago and it seems the field doesn't interess girls that much since no single answer was recieved except from males!

------------------

BrAiNFeVeR
August 4th, 2001, 08:13 PM
I haven't tasted any of my AP, but the fluidic remains do smell very nice (sweet, i recognize the smell, but can't identify)29%HCL/6%H2O2/pure acetone, no benzene.

I think I'm getting addicted to the smell ...

------------------
"Mess with me, and you'll end up with a .44 under your chin and your brains on the ceiling"

FarbrorBosse
July 18th, 2002, 11:28 PM
The most dangerous part about ATCP is the creation. If you do not use a closed bowl
or well ventilated area acetone will dissolve those little brain-cells in your head...
Also if you use H2SO4 as catalyst there might be a chance of getting chronic
inflammation in the larynx (vocal chords) or cancer. There is a reason many workers
at ammo factories died of cancer due to bad ventilation and such combined with bad safety procedures.

The acetone used in ATCP creation is a solvent. It is a damn good solvent.
Acetone has very good fat dissolving properties and will be inhaled, absorbed and
transported around in your bloodstream and some of it will reach your head and little
by little dissolve your brain cells.

Tasting ATCP causes less cancer then the fried potato chips or french friess you order at Mcdonalds.
Acrylamide is created in fried food and might cause cancer and neurological problems(in large dozes).

Many molecules will cause damage to you in one way or another.. just like nitric acid(HNO3).
When dropped on the skin, the acid produces a yellow coloration because of the reaction of
the acid with certain proteins to form yellow xanthoproteic acid.

Visit <a href="http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/chindex.htm" target="_blank">http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/chindex.htm</a> if you want to learn more.

In some rare cases I have put some crystals on my tongue to make sure
no acid vapors are left, like baking a cake if you made it you have
the legal right to lick the bowl. :)

Mr Cool
July 19th, 2002, 08:21 AM
Moving to "Other Explosives"...

Mick
July 19th, 2002, 11:57 AM
i haven't tasted AP.
i look at it this way,
if you drink acetone - you end up sick.
if you drink H2O2 - you end up sick.
if you drink HCI - you end up sick.

so i figure, if the original products make you sick then theres a fair chance that the output will make you sick too.
maybe i'm wrong, but its a pretty safe way to play.

as fas skin absorbtion goes - i don't really know.
i have noticed that when i make AP i do become iratable after i have handled the final (wet) product, and i feel like i overheat(sort of feel smothered, and get hot flushes) quite easy after making AP.
these symptoms are doubled if i leave my AP to dry infront of a heater. the air gets a funny smell to it, and when i enter the room i'll get a really bad hot flush across my chest and stomach.
if i make APputty(using ping pong balls) then the symptoms are tripled, and i feel really hot all day and my head feels "cloudy" and hot.

once the AP is dry, i can handle it all day long and it has no effect on me.

these symptoms appear after 20-30mins of handling the wet AP, same with APP. and they happen instantly if enter a room where i have heated AP, but they stop once a leave the room and get fresh air.

AP may possibly effect Blood sugar levels too. i have noticed after making AP that my surgar levels go down(not very far, usualy 1 point somtimes 2 or 3 if making APP)

these problems only appear to be short term(24hours).
its probably just me, but these seem to be the effects wet AP(and APP) have on me.
its been about 3-4months since i last made AP and i so far haven't noticed anything out of the ordinary.

thats my take on it.

<small>[ July 19, 2002, 11:02 AM: Message edited by: Mick ]</small>

FarbrorBosse
July 19th, 2002, 06:17 PM
This reply is to Mick mainly and is a bit out of topic..

If you drink 1 tablespoon of Cl you might die.
If you add 1 tablespoon of Na into your popcorn you might blow your teeth out and
might burn your tongue a lot.

Now if you mix the 2 and let them react with each other and add this
to your popcorn it tastes a lot better then without it it.
So if you choose to eat popcorn with just butter its fine but
try with some NaCl it tastes great. :)

I can go on forever but I'm not an asshole, and my intention
was just to make my point clear.

[edited]: I get sleeping disorders when making large batches of ANFO or RDX,
although I use gloves and airtight environment but my guess is the body does
not like the fact you are dealing with things that might transform you in to
a pile of flesh and blood on a wall and your body might produce stuff inside
of you that is not normally produced like a lot of adrenaline and god knows what...

Some people hold the filter by hand when washing ATCP, and uses a piece of cloth or
similar. Holding your hand in cold water for a few minutes will cause a hot feeling
in the hands when they are dry again.

Also if you make ATCP and use H2SO4 or HCL as catalyst nasty fumes will be created
when you wash it with water that might cause irritation and other more bad symptoms
if you are exposed to it.

<small>[ July 19, 2002, 05:54 PM: Message edited by: FarbrorBosse ]</small>

rikkitikkitavi
July 19th, 2002, 07:10 PM
mick´s got a point there.

since the ingredients are harmful, it is not unwise to assume however that the product is harmful (which it is , but not in a toxic way:)

however it is always easy to jump into conclusions. Since no data about AP:s toxicity is available we have to go with second best:
other peroxides , and their properties.

And it is always safe to asume worst case scenario and work from this.

Still , exposure to most carcinogenic substances doesnt cause cancer overnight but takes extended exposure before signs of cellular change appears. And extended means working with it daily for years! What are the odds for one of us making several batches of AP everyday for many years without having an accident?

The low solubility of AP in water works in our favour. And it is not very volatile either which makes exposure through inhalation less likely.

FarbrorBosse
July 19th, 2002, 11:44 PM
Rikkitikkitavi I see no point in assumptions.
I agree drinking hydrogen peroxide will not give me or anyone else a Nobel price :)

But it is to easy saying two dangerous substances will most likely
lead to a dangerous byproduct. I try looking at it in another perspective.

Everything negative has a positive counterpart.

Hydrogen peroxide is not good to get into your body, inhaled or
absorbed by the skin. However the body itself produces a lot of this
in all metabolic functions and also produce the peroxisomal enzyme
'catalase' to degrade hydrogen peroxide into water. You can read
about this in any document bringing up the subject peroxisomal
b-Oxidation, or beta-oxidation.
"http://www.peroxisome.org/Scientist/Biochemistry/boxidationtext.html"

Catalase does not directly and deliberately affect any particular
enzyme pathway. Its purpose is is to remove toxic peroxide that is
derived mainly as a byprduct of the production of ATP in the
mitochondria from the complete oxidation of glucose.

Catalases are used to scavenge for and destroy peroxide.

Hydrogen peroxide and Chlorine are both used in water for killing unwanted bacteria's
etc. I prefer to have a little bit of a poison into the in the pool considering
what might float around in the there sometimes ;)

And I do not eat ATCP like an everyday procedure.. I did it when I was 14 and
now days I always use airtight environment and goggles when doing research.

rikkitikkitavi
July 20th, 2002, 03:27 AM
I only make assumtion when I dont have hard data. And these assumptions are based on similar compounds and the specific physical properties of AP.

And to be on the safe side I handle it like if it was toxic and carcinogenic, there is ways to protect you against that
(hood and googles for one example) especially since we dont make it everyday.

I would never ever cool my batches in the ordinary fridge f e x.

AnywAY, Im not the worried about AP. Then there are other , more vicious compounds we can deal with. As for the harmful reagents. I agree, it is hard to say what comes out when they are mixed specific knowledge is most important so one dont walk in the dark.

But how can you say that a negative part has a positive counterpart? that is not chemistry, but
new age? (this is not a flame , im just curious)

/rickard

<small>[ July 20, 2002, 02:31 AM: Message edited by: rikkitikkitavi ]</small>

Mick
July 20th, 2002, 05:48 AM
my basis for saying what i did is this,
all of the ingredients will poison you(some more the others depending on the amounts consumed)
so due to fact that there is no data to suggest that the final product safe to consume, i will assume that it is poisonous.

look at it this way,
you can consume it - and run the risk of poisoning yourself or giving yourself cancer or some shit.
or you can not - and nothing will happen.

it doesn't take einstien to figure out what the logical thing to do is.

and above all, why the fuck would you want to eat AP in the first place? its not made for eating, its made for blowing stuff up.

one of the safety rules in a lab is, don't eat or smell or touch stuff unless that is what it is intended for.
if your in a lab and you see a beaker full of clear liquid, you don't say "gee, i'm thirsty..." *glup*, because chances are you just took a big drink of high conc H2O2. thus, you = fucked.

if you don't know what it is, or what it does, or what its intended for - don't fucken eat it.

so, i think the question "should we eat X chemical" doesn't really need to be debated.

if its not sold over the counter as a food product, then i don't plan on eating it.

i really don't think anyone here knows what the effect of AP is to the human body, and i don't anyone here has the resources to find out.
so i doubt were ever going to find an answer.

<small>[ July 20, 2002, 04:52 AM: Message edited by: Mick ]</small>

Sparky
July 20th, 2002, 01:59 PM
I searched around on google and found :
<a href="http://www.atofinachemicals.com/plants/canada/pdf/ds/912.PDF" target="_blank">http://www.atofinachemicals.com/plants/canada/pdf/ds/912.PDF</a>
Which is about a product called Luperox 224. It contains about 42 percent acetyl acetone peroxide. I wasn't sure if this was the same as the AP we're always talking about. It says it is not carcinogenic or mutanogenic.

<a href="http://www.unece.org/trans/danger/publi/adr/adr2001/English/Part2-2.pdf" target="_blank">http://www.unece.org/trans/danger/publi/adr/adr2001/English/Part2-2.pdf</a>
Has some information on acetone peroxide but it is buried amongst lots of other info (it is a long document).

FarbrorBosse
July 20th, 2002, 09:37 PM
"Everything negative has a positive counterpart."
(God damn you are right it sounds like "new age!) *hits himself on the forehead*
I should have made myself more clear it seems, but at the moment it sounded good...

Was a bit slow to reply but I have been researching some with my 10 meter Cu+Al shaped charge anti car device(just in theory ofcource), so I have been busy all day.. uploaded to the ctrl_c ftp/-=Uploads=-/obitus/ for those interested.

I thought it would be easier to explain while using this new age expression rather then reactions where 2 dangerous substances cancel each other into a no lethal salt etc...

I thought the Cl + Na =&gt; NaCl would be enough but I guess not.
NaCl is salt bought in any Food store and is not lethal.
(Just pointing it out to not get any further comments).

I agree wholeheartly with you Rikkitikkitavi, lab material should not in any way get mixed with common products, such as fridge stuff and such, just like goggles should be worn whenever being in a lab, even if you have no H2SO4 close someone else might make a mistake and H2SO4 might get in contact with your eyes by accident.

I'm not going to argue about it, you're right. If no hard data is precent it is better to be safe then sorry.

Mick, Eating, inhaling touching.. If you watch ATCP closely you see a thin stream of ATCP crystals rising into the air when heated.
Even at room temperature a small stream of crystals will rise into the air until
there is no ATCP left in your sample.

Ie: Unless you are working in a lab environment with good ventilation, carrying the ATCP dust away from your area, you will be exposed to ATCP whether you want it or not, and will not eat it, but inhale it.

So either keep ATCP at a temp &lt; -162°C or wear some sort of dust filter :)

[edit]: Disable of smilie...

<small>[ July 20, 2002, 08:52 PM: Message edited by: FarbrorBosse ]</small>

Papa Lemming
August 7th, 2002, 01:51 AM
I don't know if this is important, but I'll put my two cents here:

In this everytime more paranoid and health-concerned society, it's not surprising that dangers about certain issues are being worthlessly inflated, unfortunately, many times for the sake of knowledge. Maybe it's because of my ingenuity, but I think that probably some of the stuff that gets advertised as really dangerous isn't as dangerous as they say. Whether this is correct or not, it is worth taking the risks, as they will ultimately expand out knowledge base and our interest in the subject. If by working with benzene I'll understand organic chemistry better, for me it's a risk worth taking.

Well anyways... the other day I was quite surprised to find out that trusty phenolphthalein is a human carcinogen and induces mutations and other genetic bad stuff. :confused:

EDIT: added a sentence.

<small>[ August 07, 2002, 12:53 AM: Message edited by: Papa Lemming ]</small>

Pu239 Stuchtiger
August 7th, 2002, 02:32 AM
There are probably very few compounds that aren't carcinogenic to SOME degree.

Fl4PP4W0k
August 29th, 2002, 11:30 AM
Toast causes cancer. Im serious :D

I'll try 'n find the news paper article on it... something about the carbon. lol.

vulture
August 29th, 2002, 12:36 PM
BBQ stuff can also cause cancer. Simply put, when the organic amino acids and other carbon structures get heated too much, they will form polycyclic aromatics and/or dioxines, which are both toxic and carcinogen. This goes for all food that's been heated too much...

inton
September 25th, 2002, 11:43 PM
Ap can only harm u if u ingest it i know cos i tried it. well not ingested it but got it on my skin and stuff.

--------------------
don't use 'u' in the place of you. use proper english. this is NOT a chatroom. you have been warned! - kingspaz

<small>[ September 26, 2002, 05:09 PM: Message edited by: kingspaz ]</small>

NoltaiR
September 25th, 2002, 11:57 PM
Hey inton; I don't usually like to take the position of a mod, but if you plan on hanging around this place very long than consider trying to talk like a professional, not like another kewl.

FarbrorBosse
September 26th, 2002, 07:16 AM
Inton said something like AP can harm you if you get it on your skin. Or at least that's the way I interpreted it..

Inton, in what way did it harm you? and did you really neutralize the AP, else it was not the AP that harmed you, but the catalyst. Try to describe more, and be more specific.

Note:
I'm worthless at spelling but I try to remove as many flaws as possible, and there is a way to remove like 99% of all the spelling errors.

#0 copy your text before you hit &lt;Add Reply&gt;.
#1 open another window.
#2 type <a href="http://www.hotmail.com" target="_blank">www.hotmail.com</a>
#3 login to hotmail and hit the compose button.
#4 paste the text into your compose window and hit spell-check.

* If you have any other language then english, correct this in the options and set it to english.

<small>[ September 26, 2002, 09:51 AM: Message edited by: FarbrorBosse ]</small>

Korfaction
September 29th, 2002, 01:08 PM
AP can be ingested in small quantities, and can't go thru the skin as far as I know. but it doesn't mean you can eat a plate of AP for lunch :) , and the problems with AP almost always come from side reactions cause of not having washed it, not pure chems...

Do you imagine the news: "Kamikazes ingested the bomb to pass thru HE detection..." ? :D

vulture
September 29th, 2002, 02:58 PM
Those of you who are so afraid of benzene in their acetone should never refuel their car. Gasoline contains up to 2% benzene which is inevitable because of the close boiling point shared with other aromatics in gasoline. Most OTC acetone is also distilled from petrol and will always contain trace amounts of benzene. In the 60's-70's alot of school labs still experimented with benzene.

The odd thing is that once when it is labeled as carcinogen, the stuff is considered much more dangerous. For example, almost everyone on this forum has once breathed H2S gas which is as toxic as benzene. But I think you would freak out if you smelled the same amount of benzene, just because of the stigma attached to it.
I would like to have some benzene, VERY interesting precursor.

<small>[ November 06, 2002, 05:48 PM: Message edited by: vulture ]</small>

knowledgehungry
November 5th, 2002, 08:35 PM
AP is actually used as a bleaching agent in some flouronfused: do a search and you will find results for AP as an ingredient in flour. I am not sure whether mono dimer or trimer is used nor the amount used. Anyone suicidal up for testing?? :p

EDIT: silly me it has been covered i am sorry for wasting your time

<small>[ November 05, 2002, 09:24 PM: Message edited by: knowledgehungry ]</small>

Eliteforum
November 5th, 2002, 09:58 PM
knowledgehungry, I belive what you posted has already been covered.

-----------------------
i believe you're not a mod so don't try and be what you will never become - kingspaz

<small>[ November 06, 2002, 05:42 PM: Message edited by: kingspaz ]</small>