View Full Version : Some Pics of Spies and their Weapons and Tools

jelly
August 2nd, 2003, 01:06 PM
While testing my new spy camera I went to a bookstore, took a wonderful large-sized book
about historical spies and their weapons and tools and took a photo of some pages...
without any tripod and flash :p so they are not very sharp.

Here are some pics of "dead drops", "silenced weapons", "close-combat weapons",
"concealed weapons" and "assassination weapons" on a single page... 3.2 MBytes...
and online for about one week.

Some Pics of Spies and their Weapons and Tools (http://jelly146.tripod.com/spy)

Spudkilla
August 2nd, 2003, 07:28 PM
Actually, the pictures are pretty good, I think. By spy camera, do you mean regular digital camera, or some "fit-in-the-palm-of-an-ant" camera? I have already saved the picture to my HDD. There is some pretty neat stuff in there.

GibboNet
August 2nd, 2003, 10:04 PM
You might want to consider a new server, I got an error:

This website has temporarily exeeded it bandwidth limit. You can visit again in two hours...

Or something similar. I'll try again in a few hours. :(

jelly
August 3rd, 2003, 08:56 AM
There is some pretty neat stuff in there.
NBK2000 doesn't like armed guests at his parties.
But I doubt that he'd find the "single-shot rectal pistol"... see page 180 :)

--------------------

It's a very small digital camera without any viewfinder or display... with a strong
wide-angle lens and a fixed focus.
This makes it possible to choose the wanted details by cropping and rotating
in Photoshop instead of aiming suspiciously with the camera ;)

---------------------

There are some bandwidth limits... monthly (1GB, it's ok) and hourly (maybe 10-20 MB)
But my TRIPOD account is free.

I think, there is no free account without similar bandwidth limits.

A-BOMB
August 3rd, 2003, 09:32 PM
I have a edition of that book (I'm guessing older) if anyone wants it all scanned please tell. And when I was looking at the pic I have 2 of the guns in there the .380 m-1934 berretta and a SSG-82 in .215(5.45x39).

nbk2000
August 4th, 2003, 12:26 AM
NBK2000 doesn't like armed guests at his parties.
But I doubt that he'd find the "single-shot rectal pistol"

Don't be too sure about that. ;) :p

BTW, jelly, hows the high-security lock book scan coming along?

jelly
August 4th, 2003, 10:35 AM
nbk2000: You can find the book in the RECENT directory of the FTP... the title begins with "Modern" ;)

nbk2000
August 4th, 2003, 02:54 PM
Great, and if I was able to log in to the damn thing I'd be sure to get a copy. :(

jelly
August 6th, 2003, 08:52 PM
Have you downloaded the book in the meantime? I don't have any problems (log in/ul/dl) with the Forum FTP.

nbk2000
August 6th, 2003, 11:13 PM
Can't get logged in. :confused:

How big is it?

jelly
August 7th, 2003, 05:37 AM
7.x MB

jelly
August 7th, 2003, 10:11 AM

Rhadon
August 7th, 2003, 12:52 PM
A-BOMB, it'd be great if you could scan the book. I could do some of the work for you: You scan the book, upload the (preferably 600 DPI) images to an FTP (don't know how the FTP situation will be when you're done), I download them and process them to a PDF file.

The question is whether color images of black & white images should be used. Acrobat 6 does support the JPEG2000 standard which would be a good choice for colored images, so I think it might be a worth taking the disadvantage of forcing interested persons to use the latest version of Acrobat Reader if you choose color.

I just did some tests regarding filesize with PDF files containing colored images which are compressed with JPEG2000. Here's the results.

format filesize (MB)
------ -------------
color - uncompressed 35
color - JPEG2000 1.5
black & white* - JBIG-2 0.5
(*)B&W can be used instead of grayscale with almost no quality loss.

Testing object was a one page bitmap PDF with a resolution of 600 DPI. The filesize is only useful for a comparison, though, because not every page will require the amount of memory given in the table above (it needs less).

jelly
August 7th, 2003, 03:14 PM
My Tripod account has been deleted. Who is the damned traitor? :D

I'm searching for another free web hoster. Any idea?

A-BOMB
August 7th, 2003, 03:30 PM
Forget me scanning any thing till i get a new scanner, somehow the glass plate in it cracked into 3 and fell into it and I cant get them out. And the weirdest thing is I have no idea how it broke, I last used it a couple of weeks ago and a day or so ago I try to scan in the diagram for the rifle I'm building and its broke.

++++++++++++

Use pliers to break the pieces into small enough to pull out chunks.

Surely you can unscrew the scanner casing?

NBK

nbk2000
August 7th, 2003, 03:31 PM
I've got another FTP account that might still be up. Could you upload the book to it if I get you the needed info, jelly?

jelly
August 7th, 2003, 03:39 PM
Yes

Rhadon
August 7th, 2003, 04:16 PM
A-BOMB, sorry to hear about your scanner's fate... perhaps you can repair it somehow, but I don't know if it'll give good results if you use an improvised glass plate, such as a piece of old windows glass. I you've got a "glass cutter" it might be worth a try, though.

jelly
August 7th, 2003, 05:49 PM
nbk2000: I have put a password protected version into a public area of the Forum FTP.

Grab it here: ftp://ewf:sd332gf@209.195.155.80/Hosted Images/fornbk2000only.zip

But where shall I post the password?
Is there a nice hidden place in my user profile panel... available only for me and the mods?

zeocrash
August 7th, 2003, 07:03 PM
couldn't you post it in the private events in the callendar.
can mods see this or is it only the specific member that can see this

nbk2000
August 7th, 2003, 09:00 PM
Your missing the point, jelly...I don't HAVE ftp access of any sort. And the EWF account is UPLOAD only, you can't download from it. :(

I'm e-mailing you the private FTP info. I don't know if it's still up or not, since I don't have any FTP access through my ISP, but if it is, upload and tell me that it's there, and I'll go to a kinko's and download it from there. :)

Calander events are staff only.

GibboNet
August 8th, 2003, 01:21 AM
You might want to try www.spaceports.com I'm currently hosting 15Mb of PDF's there (PHP manuals and the like) one file is 6.5 Mb or so, and they haven't closed it down. 5 Gig transfer a month too, so you should be right. Just upload the one zip file or whatever.

That would also make it avaliable to anyone else that wants the pics, like me, as I never got them.

nbk2000
August 8th, 2003, 02:06 AM
For once, the webftp proxy was working, so I found out that my FTP site is still up. :)

Upload like the wind jelly.

Also, don't zip the pics into one giant ZIP file, since the proxy can cut out at any time, and it does NOT resume downloads. :( So, each picture needs to be seperate so I can download it one pic at a time. :)

Unless the pics can be compressed, in which case individually compressing each page will help with downloading. :D

jelly
August 8th, 2003, 06:27 AM
nbk2000:

I don't HAVE ftp access of any sort. And the EWF account is UPLOAD only, you can't download from it.
Sorry, nbk2000, but that's not right. The public EWF account is for uploading all stuff into the
"upload" dir and for uploading/downloading pictures into/from the "Hosted pictures" dir.

I have put the file into the "Hosted images" dir :).. and I have tested the link above yesterday and a few minutes ago... when I click onto the link, the window of my browser opens and the download begins.

Does "I don't have any FTP access through my ISP" mean that you cannot access to a FTP with your web browser?

Nihilist
August 8th, 2003, 07:36 AM
ya jelly it does. However, if the FTP were modified to run on a different port(prolly have to be >1024), then NBK could access it without his ISP blocking it.

jelly
August 8th, 2003, 11:29 AM
nbk2000: The stuff is on your FTP. Download all 26 parts and open the first part with WinRAR 3.x.
The pw is "satanclaus"... not "santa" :)

P.S.: You have got the book... I have lost my homepage...
I think, you should remove this thread :p

stickfigure
August 9th, 2003, 04:56 AM
Jelly, what is name of that book? Full name and publsiher perhaps?

A-BOMB
August 9th, 2003, 07:56 AM
Forget about me not being able to scan it I just went to Best Buy yesterday and bought a new 4 in 1 printer,copier,scanner,fax. I should have it connected later, I just need to get all new drivers since I haven't updated my computer in a while.

nbk2000
August 10th, 2003, 12:51 AM
Got the book. :)

Good shit! :D

nbk2000
August 10th, 2003, 10:56 PM
Jelly, I assume you still have the book, correct? If so, then it'd be good to make a printable copy of the pick tool pages, as a picture, and including a millimeter scale (scanned in at the same time as the page), so that people could print out the pages and use them as templates for grinding their own tools, since the book is (supposedly) exact to scale for doing so.

After reading the book, I've seen a few rather annoying things that I see a lot of Paladin "Punk" Press authors doing.

In the newer T-handles, these cylinders need only to turn 90 to 120 degrees, which means that you must still pick them at least two or three times. This problem can be overcome with various locksmiths' rim cylinder pick tools (one of which I designed myself). But I cannot discuss these here as little skill is involved and such tools in the hands of an unscrupulous few would create much grief and condemn the radial pin tumbler lock into extinction.

AND

I have no intention in even trying to figure out how to crack this system—and even if I did know how, I wouldn't tell for obvious reasons.

Hmm...so he'll tell us a tediously slow way to pick tubular locks, but won't tell us how to make a tubular pick that can do the same thing in a fraction of the time, because "little skill is involved...and condemn the...lock to extinction"

Well, if the lock was secure, then you wouldn't be able to pick it with "little skill", regardless of the tool so, just like all locksmiths, he seeks to protect the continued existance of an insecure lock because it's bread and butter for his livelyhood. :rolleyes:

It's this same "Security through Obscurity" mentality that has perpetrated the master keying system for a century, even though such systems are well known to both 'smiths and crims as being even easier to defeat than regular locks.

Anyone who's read the safecracking book has run across this too. Like when the use of acids for eating through a safe is mentioned, no details as to the acid systems used is provided, so it seems as if the book is being informative, when in fact it is obscuring.

Another thing I hate is the "You have to have my previous book to know what I'm talking about in this book, but you'll need my next book to understand it completely" routine. Anyone who's bought a ragner benson book knows about this one.

Why can't the fuckers just put out a revision of their first book to include all the new information? Or make the new book self-inclusive, with no need for any others to understand the material. :mad: Oh, wait...silly me, I know why....to sell their next piece of drivel! :D

Also, there was no covert or lo-tek methods provided, nor forcible techniques. For instance, the use of 3M non-drying low-tack adhesive spray will defeat a tubular lock by binding the pins to their shear plane when the legitimate user keys it. How hard would it have been to provide a paragraph about that technique in the book?

Also, some of his assumptions are wrong, such as when he's talking about the impressioning of an Abloy lock as being too long, and requiring too much light, to be suitable to covert entry. BZZZZZ! Wrong.

Impressioning a lock, unlike picking it, can be done in steps, over a long period of time. If it takes an hour of time to impression an abloy, then that can be divided up into one minute a day for 2 months, and will still get you the key.

Also, he leaves out that these types of locks are very often found in keysafes. Keysafes are those small metal boxes found outside of most large business, which are used to hold the door and alarm keys ;), so that firefighters can enter the building without having to destroy the doors and locks in the process, and be able to turn off the alarm.

Also not mentioned was how the key to open these are common to other similar lock boxes within the local FD's operations area, meaning that the key used to open one will usually open them all. :D Oh, what a merry time you could have then, eh?

Here's an idea...find every lock you can, fill it up with explosives, and see if you can blow it apart. Then compile a list of locks that can be blown up and write it up as a book called "Instant Entry: Blowing the Lock". Include the forumulations for NG and MEKP. How simple is that? :)

Though neither Punk Press nor Loompanics would print it, since they've been cowed by the anti-2nd laws that make the publishers liable for what their readers do with the information, so they'd be too afraid of someone suing them for the lost fingers and such of the inevitable lames who can't follow instructions. Oh well, that's what the internets is for anyways, right? :D

jelly
August 11th, 2003, 09:22 AM
You are right. There are several possible reasons for a restriction of the topic, e.g. the problems of the publisher in 1999 ("hitman")... or maybe the author plans to write a book that is similar to the old book "How to open locks without keys and picks", published by punky press (in the 70s) for all burglars in the world :D

Sorry, but I don't have the book any more.

nopschnek
October 24th, 2003, 01:50 PM
Jelly, so you don't have the book physically, but you have the files on your computer, true?

I have been looking for that book a very long time, have found it on dc++, but the file was corrupted. So could you put it on StreamLoad or something (other than the FTP) so everybody could download it?