View Full Version : new primary explosives

MBialy
August 3rd, 2003, 07:29 AM
Hi!

I looked in the archives, I used the search function and I did not find any similar topics. If there was this topic I’m very sorry and just cancel this one. There was something about a detonator on MHN and pirotechnic mixture. But for me nitromannit is too sensitive.
This is a interesting subject so I put it on. For me a new primary explosive should be electrostatic discharge safe! Most unexpected explosions of HMTD, AP or lead azide are cause by electrostatic discharges, from which it’s very hard to secure.

This is a list of new primary explosives I know:

1. NHN (nikiel hydrazinum nitrate)
2. CP (2-(5-cyanotetrazolato) pentaaminecobalt (III) perchlorate)
3. CCP (?)
4. NCP (?)
5. 1,4-Diformyl-2,3,5,6-Tetranitratopiperazine

I wonder if copper(II) tetraamino(?) nitrate ([Cu(NH3)4](NO3)2) has this properties (electrostatic discharge safety)? Someone detonated it? Its very easy to make.

CP actually isn’t so safe like NHN but safer than Pb(N3)2. I have none information about CCP and NCP.

I think NHN is the best because it is very easy to synthesize however it is hard to detonate. Does someone actually detonated (from a bridgewire) small amount (like 1g) of NHN? NHN must have high density (how high I don’t know) or will note detonate. Perhaps NHN could be mixed with some nonexplosive substances that will help NHN to detonate from fire.
1,4-Diformyl-2,3,5,6-Tetranitratopiperazine isn’t very interesting because its synthesize requires trifluoroaceticanhydride.

Any information are very, very glad to see.

PS
I learned chemistry a pyrotechnics not in English so it will be very nice if someone could sent mi the structure of CP.

Best regards,
MBialy

Efraim_barkbit
August 3rd, 2003, 07:50 AM
Why not post some synths. for your new, safe, and easy to make primaries?
and if NHN is hard to detonate is it really a primary?

MBialy
August 3rd, 2003, 08:09 AM
Yes it is a primary explosive. Like I said it must have high density to detonate from fire.
NHN can be synthesize from hydrazine hydrate and nickel nitrate. Later I will put the exact description of the preparation. 100 mg of NHN ignites RDX.

Cyclonite
August 3rd, 2003, 08:44 AM
This is a interesting subject so I put it on. For me a new primary explosive should be electrostatic discharge safe! Most unexpected explosions of HMTD, AP or lead azide are cause by electrostatic discharges, from which it’s very hard to secure.

Im sorry if I misunderstood but when you say hard to secure do you mean static is a problem thats hard to solve? If so I have a method I like to call grounding, just touch the ground or a metal object to discharge any static you may have built up by moving around.

Arthis
August 3rd, 2003, 10:11 AM
A little friction may cause some some electrostatic effects on any material. Depending on the sensitivity of the compound, its purity, or whatever, the effect may be important enough to cause prematurate deflagration of a molecule/cristal.

MBialy
August 3rd, 2003, 10:13 AM
If so I have a method I like to call grounding, just touch the ground or a metal object to discharge any static you may have built up by moving around. [/B]

That's right. But the safer the better. Even then ("grounding", high humidity) a spark may appear and bum :(

yt2095
August 3rd, 2003, 10:29 AM
Interesting topic, I`ve tried an experiment some time ago, trying to ignite AP and HMTD (with and without AN mixed) using the peizo electric sparker from an old lighter.
I thought it would make a cheap and nasty way to remotely detonate a homemade cap using RG/8 coax.
I`de placed a pea sized amount of each mix onto tinfoil and "zapped" it repeatedly (until my fingers got sore) it did nothing :(
the sparks would go through the pile and even eject some of the crystals as if electrostaticly repelled.
so much for that idea!

but it MAY be a usefull test for anything you make and are uncertain about with regards to static sensitivity.

MBialy
August 3rd, 2003, 02:12 PM
The preparation of 1,4-Diformyl-2,3,5,6-Tetranitratopiperazine is on the Mad Science forum: http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=506
I don’t understand the structure that is shown here: http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?action=attachment&tid=506&pid=4219

What are those little pink atoms connected to the ester nitrogen atom??. It’s probably a mistake.

NHN synthesize:

We prepare 100 ml 8% nickel nitrate (solution A). Prepare solution B: 50 ml of solution A and 50 ml of water. Heat solution B to 60*C. At the same time add dropwise two solutions: 50 ml of solution A and 7 ml of hydrazine hydrate (>80%). After the addition mix for 10 min, filter, wash with water next with ethanol and dry it. You get ~11g dark violet powder – NHN.

Main problem is to detonate it. It’s not simple.

vulture
August 3rd, 2003, 03:38 PM
I made that structure you are referring to with Chem3D. If you read a tiny bit further there, you'll see me saying that those little pink atoms are lone electron pairs.