View Full Version : Dry HMTD - Archive File

Anthony
March 17th, 2003, 08:33 PM
Mammut
A new voice
posted February 24, 2001 06:30 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi
one little queston. Does ONLY dry HMTD explosion?????

Demolition
Frequent Poster
posted February 24, 2001 07:10 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yes I do think only dry HMTD explodes? because after I made HMTD and it was still wet I tryed lighting a little bit to see how quickly it burned.
Almost nothing happened,but after I dryed it out for a while under a lamp and tryed the same thing it gave a quick flash and burned extremely quickly.A
good use for this explosive is to get the end of texta,(aluminum tubing)fill it up with HMTD,light
with a fuse and get away.This makes an extremely loud boom and as HMTD doesn't react with aluminum it makes it a lot safer.
Demolition

blackadder
Frequent Poster
posted February 24, 2001 09:59 AM
Isn't that a bit obvious, demolition?
I think everyone thought of that before, and it sounds a bit kewl anyway.
I thought that HMTD reacted with metals, as it has an extreme excess of oxygen!

Oh yeah, and that causes loads of shrapnel.

Donutty
Frequent Poster
posted February 24, 2001 03:42 PM
Two (or three) things wrong here:
1] Dont dry HMTD / AP under a lamp unless you want a piece of said lamp in your forehead.

2] Quote:

"The metals that will cause problems are
aluminum, zinc, antimony, brass, copper, lead and iron. These metals in
contact with the HMTD even when dry, will cause corrosion."

If you want to put HMTD in a metal container / put it in a plastic bag first

3] Why risk you life making a firecracker out of metal? Use a thick(ish) cardboard tube. Why not even use a matchbox? It makes really no difference with the material you make the container out of, especially when your safety is paramount

Anthony
posted February 24, 2001 05:33 PM
Err, I'll second the lamp thing...
I'm pretty sure HMTD, like AP has a negative oxygen balance?

HMTD Factory
Frequent Poster
posted February 24, 2001 08:15 PM
YEP

vehemt
Frequent Poster
posted February 24, 2001 08:32 PM
The only thing moisture does to HMTD or AP is desensitizes it to flame, and prevents further spread of deflagration of any that does ignite. It can still be detonated by means of shock.

Mammut
A new voice
posted February 27, 2001 03:57 PM
i tested hmtd, which wasn´t dry ,there was nothing (no little explosion for example).BUT
I have tested AP,which wasnot dry too and if i burned it up there came the normal mushroom-flamme. ALSO ONLY DRY hmtd EXPLOSION!!! thanx to all

PHILOU Zrealone
Frequent Poster
posted February 28, 2001 09:42 AM
Al react with citric acid or HCl or H2SO4 so clean wel your HMTD before use!
Have you never put some HCl, H2SO4 or citric ac. with/in Al foil? That's corrosion!!!!
------------------
"Life that deadly disease sexually transmitted".
"Chemistry is all what stinks and explode; Physic is all what never works! ;-p :-) :o )"