View Full Version : how to increasing the range of a remote detonator?

aster
August 4th, 2003, 11:13 AM
i have remote detonators from modified remote bell, each has range approximately 150 metre, anybody knows how to increasing the range? how to modified them? i need a more far distance since i will detonate a bigger charge, thanks

yt2095
August 4th, 2003, 11:22 AM
this is a bit of a null question.

You don`t state it`s frequency or present data like a circuit diag or even a make or model?
it`s like saying "how long is a peice of string" really.

I could say things like, tweak the cans with a signal strength meter, or build a matched linear RF amp, or extend the antenna to full wave. all would be perfectly valid, but useless to you or anyone else here.

have a re-think about your question! we`re NOT mind readers.

Arthis
August 4th, 2003, 06:09 PM
Let's not be so harsh.

You can increase the range of your emitter by coupling the system with an amplifier. I think a simple system could easily do the job: you can normally do it with an ampliop (you understand ? I don't know the component name in English). Anyway, even if you don't know anything in electronics you can do it with a specialized magazine, they propose tons of circuits.

That method oblige you to make a circuit, but it can be adapted on the new controller you will have to rebuy each time (hey, you lose one part !).

But the simpliest thing would be to buy several remote detonator, and place them in a chain, and you only have to connect the ring of a receiver to the interuptor of the emitter.

Not that it is obvious, but it's not really difficult to do.

A bit more difficult would be to place a relay with a high range in a determined place, you control an emitter, and in a given range you can place your charge and be where you want; in fact it's not more difficult, you just need a good battery to use it. the system is useful when detonating several bombs at the same time (urban destabilization ;)).

Tuatara
August 4th, 2003, 06:24 PM
With the available data (stuff all) I can only speculate, but it is likely the transmitter has a small loop antenna on the pcb, given the range. Commonly with these cheap short range transmitters the loop is also part of the resonant circuit that determines the transmit frequency. So if you mess with it you will most likely detune it. This also means there is no simple way to couple in a power amp, or even another antenna.

Essentially, use these things as they are and accept the range limitation. If you want more range buy a better radio system.

The simple fact that you need to ask this question tells me you do not have sufficient knowledge and skill to achieve the result you want. I'm not trying to be insulting, so please don't be offended - I think most people have no idea just how much engineering goes into such a simple looking device.

aster
August 7th, 2003, 07:48 AM
ok...ok thanks to all, i will learn more then to improve my knowledge, and to increasing my detonators range:D thanks a lot

parmin
September 16th, 2003, 12:50 AM
It has been more than one month since I saw this post, I hope the subject has not been stale yet.
:rolleyes:
Since this is a subject that really interest me, I think I should add to it.

What I want to add are:
- why bother to re construct unsafe remote control (from a door bell? Strewth!!:confused: ) Should there be any house nearby with similar device and someone happens to press the bell while you connecting the device, BOOM!!:confused:

- Remote controlled alarm keyfobs sometimes works up to 30 meters away, that may be enough for some not so large bangers. You may be able to increase the sensitivity of the receiver by adding longer antena to it, thus giving it better range.:o But bear in mind that this is also not safe.

- Oatley Electronics in Australia sells remote control TX and RX module that works at 1 KM line of sight. However, it is adviseable to place onto the circuit a coding system that is unique to your design so there would be minimal chance of the device to be activated without your say so:p

I have been making remote control devices for a while now and I have yet to find a fail safe device.
I could help in the design of such device (for the circuit diagrams and/or coding devices) should there be anyone require it. My reason for this is for the safety of the experimenter. Please do not use simple uncoded remotes (like doorbells :eek: ) your finger/leg/eye/intestine worth more than the cost of a well designed remote detonation device. Play it safe.;)