View Full Version : SC and LSC brisants and VOD

FireBomb
August 7th, 2003, 03:57 AM
OK heres my question what are the requirments for a SC using a copper liners and LSC.

Such as required brisants, VOD, exc.

Also what are some of the best explosives to use. (iTNP, AP, HMTD, RDX, PETN, TNT, HMX, exc. exc.)

Also on a side not what are some of the things you have penitrated with homemade SC how thick were they and what materials were they made out of (hardened steel, alluminium, concreat, exc. exc.)

The reasion it's here in the cooler is because I'm not %100 sure it relevent to the Detonation and Demolition section

Ok well thats my question I hope to hear from you guy soon thanks a lot.

blindreeper
August 7th, 2003, 05:00 AM
Definatly NOT HMTD for reasons you can search for. Probably avoid AP because it's a primary and you'd be better off with s secondary not just for stability but for a higher det velocity. TNP is acidic so it may form picrates which are bad news. Thats about all I can tell you sorry.

Efraim_barkbit
August 7th, 2003, 06:45 AM
The best explosive to use is the ones with the highest VoD.
if you have acces to all of the explosive you mentioned (wich I doubt) then use HMX, RDX or PETN. (in that order)
ANNM can be used, if you donīt have anything more brisant, but from what I have heard, itīs VoD is a bit low.

AP can be used too, but donīt expect (very) good results, and only use it in smallish charges. I used it in my first (only so far) LSC test:

I made a (not extremely serious) attempt with a LSC the other week, used a pice of Al as a liner, and some sheet metal as the cover. I used ~15-20g AP as the explosive. the problem was that the "legs" wasnīt equally thick (I guess 9 and 11 mm) but I wasnīt to serious with that test anyway.
I placed the LSC on a ~5mm steel plate, with 2,5 cm stand off. when detonated, the plate got a fairly big dent (~10-15 cm across, 3-5 cm deep in the middle.).
In the middle it also had a 1-1,5mm deep, ~2mm wide "cut", with the same lenght as the charge.

The area around the "cut" were also "painted" with spots of aluminium. most of it on the opposite side from were the thickest leg had been. I guess that the effect of the liner were wasted, and that it also interfered with the creation of the "cutting" shockwave.

EDIT: A retarded questionmark were hiding below my text...

DBSP
August 7th, 2003, 08:02 AM
The topic of SCs AND LSCs have been thoroughly discussed in the past, look for Tiny linear SC cones for instance. There are other topics as well, conduct a search and I belive you will find quite a good ammount of info on the subject.

ANNM can evidently be used in LSCs at least don't know about SCs bit if your cone is good enaugh it will probably work then too.

I made an LSC with ANMM last year that cut a 6mm plate which was about 50-80mm wide, can't remember excactly. I made a failed LSC a couple of weeks ago to.

There is a good chance sensitized NM would allso work in an SC or LSC beacuase of it's uniform density it will make a perfect wavefront running through the LSC or SC if only primed right. Most likely NM is better than ANNM for this application.

mongo blongo
August 7th, 2003, 11:51 AM
I think that a castable mix of HMX and TNT or RDX and TNT (also known as "composition B") would be good. It will have a very high VOD because it will cast into a very high density.

nbk2000
August 7th, 2003, 03:29 PM
It's called "brisance".

Also, the abbreviation is etc, not exc. As in "ETCetera", not "EXCommunicate".

The reasion it's here in the cooler is because I'm not %100 sure it relevent to the Detonation and Demolition section

Perhaps you're like a nestling who's afraid to spread his wings and fly by posting in the regular forum section? Perhaps papa bird (me) needs to kick you out of the nest (lock you out of the WC) so you'll be forced to fly? :)

You've been here four months already...a little old to still be a nestling...though your grammer and spelling hasn't improved any...*sigh*...perhaps the nest is the best place for you after all. :rolleyes: It was so much simplier when I could just ban anyone with poor grammer. Now we have a play pen for them...

Anyways, you want the highest VoD (sounds familiar ;)) you can get when constructing any kind of charge that relies on shaped effect. TNP (PA Picric Acid) or NG (NitroGlycerine) would be your best bet, as I seriously doubt you could make anything stronger (like HMX).

Given your poor spelling, more advanced lab procedures are obviously out of your reach, let alone HEAVEN. :p