View Full Version : tree stump blasting

metal dragon
August 29th, 2003, 11:43 PM
Hello,
Please forgive for posting on my third post. I just have a problem there is a stump in my back yard that needs to go, my father would like me to blast it out. It is stump of grape fruit tree. It is 13cm in diameter and only needs to be shattered. I have no HE but I do have a lot of black powder. I was thinking using a pipe charge of some sort would this be an effective method? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you all

THErAPIST
August 30th, 2003, 12:34 AM
Even though you have no HE, how hard would it be for you to whip up some AP? Stab a piece of pvc pipe into the ground at an angle so that it makes a hole that starts at the edge of the stump and the hole goes into the ground right under the stump. Since this stump os 13 cm in diameter i suspect 30g of ANAP with another 20g of AP pressed ontop of the ANAP inside a toilet paper tube should do nice for blasting the stump out of the ground. AP is easy enough to make, and AN can be bought in instant cold packs.

Black powder once had its uses in blasting rock, but it's not used anymore simply because its dangerous to use and it doesnt work half the time. It absorbed water and such. A pipe charge might well get the stump out of the ground but then you also have to worry about falling/ flying shrapnel.

Personally, I say that you should just go get an instant cold pack and what you need for AP. If the black powder to which you refer is smokeless powder then you can forget about the instant coldpack and just make a charge of around 40g of smokless powder compressed into the tube with 10g AP pressed ontop.

I under no circumstances would be setting off shrapnel producing devices in my back yard. IF you can't get ahold of ANY HE then there's only one other solution that I can think of... shovel.

Desmikes
August 30th, 2003, 01:57 AM
Black powder pipe b0mbz are not very effective against wood that's more than 5cm in width, under ground blasting would be much less effective. the conditions under which black powder would actually work are not any easier to achieve than to simply use a shovel as Rapist said; it's 13 cm in diameter come-on...

metal dragon
August 30th, 2003, 02:10 AM
I have successfully blasted it. It took three goes but it is now jut little pieces of wood. I drilled a hole in it (2.5 cm across and 10 cm down) filled full of black powder added my electrical igniters, placed a piece of wood over the hole and nailed it to the stump, went away pressed the button and it cracked with a nice boom. I had to do this three times in order for it to blow it into small pieces.
Thanks for your help guys.

Blackhawk
August 30th, 2003, 09:12 AM
That was probably one of the least effecient ways you could have done it, but to each their own, at least It didn't throw any non wood shrapnell (unless the nails went flying)