View Full Version : phosphorus is best for explosive material

Kiyanoosh
September 2nd, 2003, 09:07 AM
hi all.I add 1gr red phodphorus with 1gr potasium percolorat.
when I approach the light to this material it was exploded fastly.I have a question for you.
1.If I add too much amount of this material ,wil the risk of explosion Increas?
2.please let me know if the sensetivity about the shock is low or high?
3.if it is sensetive,which material will be used for making it stabilized?
thanks for your nice accompany.

vulture
September 2nd, 2003, 09:43 AM
While it's not as sensitive as armstrongs mix, this material should be considered as extremely sensitive. Large amounts will detonate.

I don't know what the mods are going to say about this thread though...

metafractal
September 2nd, 2003, 09:48 AM
I dont like your chances here, you have asked a well discussed question and your english is very poor, not to mention that you are asking for information as a newbie with three posts. Anyway, I will answer what I can decrypt of what you are asking.
The mixture you are reffering to is known as Armstrong's Mix. It is famous for its extreme shock/friction sensitivity.
Your first question makes no sense. Are you trying to ask wether the mix will be further sensitized if the ratio of the reactants is changed? The answer to this I do not know, but I also do not think it really matters.
In answer to number 2: shock and friction sensitivity is extremely high. It is one of the most sensitive explosives discussed here, along with NI3.
And in answer to you last question, I dont think anyone has ever bothered desensitizing Armstrong's Mix. The only value of this explosive is its shock/friction sensitivity (for small impact detonators, etc.). Quite simply there is no point. You seem to have some deosent(?sp) reactants, so dont waste them on this make somthing like H3.
There have been many accidents and even deaths relating to armstrong's mix, even amongst experienced pyros. It is far too sensitive for any practical use. Stay away from it, there are things that are far better to play with that also call for much less exotic ingredients.
On a brighter note, though, you might aswell try a little trick that I just love, seeing you've got those reactants (and this might also show you how sensitive this stuff is): dust the end of your middle finger with red phosphorous, and the end of your thumb with potassium perchlorate. When you click, as you strike them together Armstrong's Mix will be effectively formed. As it ignites from this friction a quick, bright, flash will come up from your fingers. Its quite impressive. Only use a tiny bit of each though, or else you will injure yourself.

edit: vulture, yes, I carried out a search and you are right. Armstrong's mix is potassium chlorate/red phosphorous. But I have also seen a perchlorate/red phosphorous mix aswell and the sensitivity is not all that much different. Therefore what i have said is still relevant. But apologies, you are correct.

vulture
September 2nd, 2003, 10:17 AM
I was under the impression that Armstrongs mix was actually CHLORATE/P and not PERCHLORATE/P?

DBSP
September 2nd, 2003, 11:10 AM
Please follow the advices given to you! As said there are better things to do with potassium perchlorate than mix it with phosphour.. You don't seem very good at pyro things yet so stop making such stupid things and do some research instead and find yourself something less dangerous to start off with.

As I don't know what PP/P is classified as (please enlighten me) I'm not shure wether this is the appropriate section for ypur post.. And one more thing as said you do not have many posts yet, and this thread seem a bit lame so watch out and don't do this again unless you wan't to dissapear from this lovely place. Re read the rules a couple of times more as well.

Improving your english skills wouldn't hurt either.:rolleyes:

I don't have the knowledge to decide wher this guy is headed but there are other that do, so he's all yours.

a_bab
September 2nd, 2003, 12:41 PM
The mix is really sensitive. I tried once to make some small crackers with it. These were supposed to go off when stepped, so I used sand and Armstrong mix, and some soft paper. Of course, I damped the chems prior to mixing, but I used CCl4 instead of water, as is really volatile and non flammable. BUT the mix dried too fast, and it burst in the flames as I was rolling it into the paper. I only used a small quantity. Enough to get a painful blister and to put a hole in my brand new shirt though (my wife went hysterical afterwards).

nbk2000
September 2nd, 2003, 10:08 PM
Kiyanoosh...HED...for for being a raghead raping the english language!

rjche
September 7th, 2003, 07:18 PM
Having experimented long ago extensively with phosphorus chlorate, et al mixtures, I would warn you that they go off spontaneously as residual moisture in the RED phosphorus (never try yellow) causes the phosphorus oxide that spontaneously forms in powdered red phosphorus to turn into very concentrated phosphoric acid, which will ignite such mixtures by interacting with chlorates to make chloric family of acids which are violently reactive with combustibles.

All such successful mixtures MUST have about 3 to 5% of a acid neutralizing power added. There are several.

Even so, storage at temps up around 90 F can be very risky.

Everyone I know who has fooled with armstrong type mixtures has had a bad accident which weaned them from that folly.

a_bab
September 8th, 2003, 06:24 AM
Yeah, I kept some of my red P unclosed and in a matter of a few days it turned into a sirupy red thing. I didn't know at that time is so hygroscopic, so the red P should be kept closed really well.

I did tried WP and potassium chlorate, but of course in minute quantities and remotely, and the mix is able to ignite spontaneously (well, the WP does this anyway), but because of the potasium chlorate it'll explode.