View Full Version : PETN from 'tris buffer'

froot
September 2nd, 2003, 10:52 AM
looking at the formula for 'tris buffer' (tris hydroxymethyl aminomethane) and PE we have:
NH2C(CH2OH)3 and C(CH2OH)4 respectively. These guys seem too similar to ignore.

Well u guessed it. 'tris' got subjected to the treatment. (theoretically) Firstly pure NA. And then mixed acids. Nothing interesting evolved. No temperature rise, colour change, precipitate, etc.

I don't know enough to to determine if 'tris' could be manipulated into something else advantageous to the cause. Is it possible to whip off the NH2 from the 'tris' formula to form PE?
'tris' seems to be freely available from lab suppliers without raising any suspicion. :)

PS: ever tried nitrating olive oil? Be veeery careful!

nbk2000
September 2nd, 2003, 10:10 PM
Froot...HED...for plagerizing, even if it is from the pustulant sore of a forum known as "Madfags Pitiful Revenge Against NBK For Being Banned For Blatent St00pidity" (AKA "Science Madness") :D

vulture
September 3rd, 2003, 04:56 AM
Do we really have to stir up this vendetta again because of some stupid plaguarizing noob?
Madscientist is not the only one there.

nbk2000
September 3rd, 2003, 06:49 PM
Oh please...he even said it was his revenge against me in the sites "about" page, when he first started it, though he has since removed it. Though I don't forget things like that. :)

Though I suppose I could modify my above statement to read:

"...the pustulant sore of an ex-Forum member known as "madfag", who is an admin at a forum known as "Science Madness" (AKA "Madfags Pitiful Revenge Against NBK For Being Banned For Blatent St00pidity"), that would be an OK forum if they just popped the pimple on their ass affectionatly known as "madfag" to Forumites."

There, I think that clarifies things much better now, don't you? :)

simply RED
September 3rd, 2003, 06:49 PM
I also saw the thread and talked about this to a friend who is very well with chemistry and has good info.
He said the idea of nitrating tris is actually old and the product we get is tetranitrate (mononitramine) which is absolutely unstable.
The trinitrate was prepared by the tetra by complex methods.

Not that i believe him without thinking!... Actually chemistry says an amino group is very hard to nitrate, unless you have C=O connected to it (it is amide group then).
And the primary amines are easier to nitrate than secondary.
So the positive induction effect of the radical (making the amine more basic) makes it harder to nitrate.
In the tris we have negative induction effect of the 3 OH groups and primary amine. So we could have an easier to nitrate amino group.
It is well known that primary alyphatic nitramines decompose in concentrated acids...

You see things are not so obvious... Better make RDX or PETN instead of unpredictable "explosives".

Actually i'm quite interested in the complete theory of tris nitration :) .