View Full Version : where to buy hexane?

mark
September 3rd, 2003, 10:47 PM
Hey all. Im on a quest for hexane, but have been unable to find an online source. Can you help me out? Thanks!

THErAPIST
September 4th, 2003, 12:02 AM
And in what country do you reside? Tis kinda hard to help you out if we don't know where you live. Some companies only ship to certain areas or certain countries. All I can say as of now with the limited info is EBAY

knowledgehungry
September 4th, 2003, 12:14 AM
I have a place, however ive never ordered from it, it seems legit, they have everything too, but i dont feel like posting that here if your interested and in the US email me cuz I dislike posting such a great website for Kewlz to see.

Tuatara
September 4th, 2003, 12:19 AM
You do realise n-hexane is also sold as 'White Spirit' or 'White gas' in most hardware stores or petrol stations?

blindreeper
September 4th, 2003, 06:40 AM
Excuse my ignorance but why would you want hexane for? Am I missing something...yet again!
White spirit eh, that stuff is dirt cheap so why do people have trouble getting it?

vulture
September 4th, 2003, 11:46 AM
White spirit contains other destillates and sometimes chlorinated alkanes.
Hexane or even cyclohexane shouldn't be hard to get, IIRC they're quite useful solvents in *some* organical reactions.

Mumble
September 4th, 2003, 08:22 PM
Hexane is a component in some Starting Fluids. Often times it is mixed with Diethyl ether. Ether boils lower than hexane so It shouldn't be too difficult to separate theoretically. I don't know what kind of concentration the mixture has. If you could find a specific brand, I'm sure an MSDS is available by contacting the company.

Hexane is also a component in Petroleum Ether. I'd imagine this would be harder to separate. You could possibly request a certain boiling fraction however. This is nearly impossible(as far as I know) to do at home, without some specialized equipment, and still get a fairly pure product.

vulture
September 5th, 2003, 04:32 AM
You can bet your ass ether and hexane will form an azeotrope, always the case if you think something is easy to separate..:(

DBSP
September 5th, 2003, 07:21 AM
The only thing I can add is that if I remember corectly mark lives in AUS.

This remindes me I need to get some myself...

Cricket
September 26th, 2003, 06:20 AM
IIRC, hexane is sold at Office Depot for cleaning. Probably expensive if you need a lot of it, but it is available. Good luck.

Nevermore
October 1st, 2003, 03:37 PM
if you are not looking for pure hexane then you can try some stain removal fluids..
i bought here a bottle for 1€ / 500ml, it is mainly hexane with some dicloropropane.
check with the boiling point in case you can separate by that.

Unknown
October 22nd, 2003, 01:45 AM
What a coincidence. I was in a craft store today and was browsing the paint section (ingredients) where the paints and pigments were. I noticed that a bottle containded hexane and was for thinning the paints but I am not sure. As I live in the US, I'm not sure if the craft stores in other countries have the same stuff, or craft stores for that matter. If not, just go to anyplace that sells paint and look for the pigments or thinners section. I don' t know what you need the hexane for, but the bottles of it that I saw were small, @ 20Ml.