View Full Version : Sodium Chlorate paper propellant

Wild Catmage
September 15th, 2003, 03:16 PM
After searching the forum for sodium chlorate related explosives, I found that there was nothing similar to what I have been experimenting with recently. Consequently I decided to write this article. As this is only my second post I placed it in the water cooler, but hopefully if it is worthy, a mod will move it somewhere else.

Sodium chlorate is available as a weed killer in most countries, although in the UK fire suppressant has been added to it. Whereas the UK’s chlorate is around 50% fire suppressant :( , if you pop across the channel using the Eurotunnel, they sell 99% pure Sodium Chlorate. It is available from most large supermarkets on the continent (including Cité Europe’s Carrefour) in 1kg and 5kg tins and is a yellow colour. It is also renamed to something like Chlorate de Soude.

The chlorate can be soaked into paper to make a versatile product that can be used for a number of things including fusing, rocket propellant and possibly as an incendiary (it will melt aluminium which means it reaches a temperature of at least 660 degrees C). Advantages of this product over black powder are:
It is quicker and simpler to make
It is less ‘messy’ to make then black powder
It burns cleanly with little debris, although it produces smoke

To make this product (someone suggest a name for it please), you will need to mix up a saturated solution of sodium chlorate and water. To do this, I dissolved 4 dessertspoons of chlorate in 300 ml of boiling water (sorry about the imprecise measurements).

I then took 15 sheets of kitchen roll/kitchen tissue/kitchen paper and soaked it in the solution, before spreading it out to dry in the sun. The sheets were left very wet as I took little effort to squeeze them, but if you did, I believe that you could make a larger batch with the same amount of solution.

It took about 4 hours in the sun to dry the sheets, but once that was done, I ended up with a fairly insensitive product. However, I later found that the product will explode if struck hard with a hammer and a punch (I was ramming rocket engines the kewl way when it happened :eek: and luckily I suffered only minor injuries and blistering on my right hand but I now know to be more careful when using this stuff).

WARNING: A spillage of chlorate solution on plants will most likely kill them. There may be problems with the debris killing plants too, but I haven’t experienced this personally. Also chlorate soaked clothing is bad, as it ignites easily.

DBSP
September 15th, 2003, 03:36 PM
Have you tried any of the rocket engines yet? if so how did it work.

Here chlorates are two expensive to buy unfortunately.

This is how new members should start out!!:)

Wild Catmage
September 15th, 2003, 03:49 PM
The rocket engines I made were about 1.5 inches long and 0.25 of an inch in diametre. I made the casings from aluminium foil and used half a bamboo skewer (split lengthways) to stabilise it. The propellant was tightly rolled up and not rammed (I wound the casing around the propellant). I made a crude nozzle by bending the foil and inserted a fuse made from the propellant. These rockets travelled to just over the height of a normal house (about 10-12 metres I guess).

With a properly made casing and nozzle, I expect that they will do a lot better.

The propellant seemed to burn quite fast within the rocket and as I result, I reckon that the rocket spent most of its time coasting upwards.

EDIT - If I ever get a digital camera or happen to 'acquire' one from somewhere I'll try and get some pics of the rockets.

EDIT - Sorry Arkangel - I only searched for sodium chlorate related articles, whereas Axt's rockets were pottassium nitrate based, which is why my searches didn't find it.

Arkangel
September 15th, 2003, 07:49 PM
After searching the forum for sodium chlorate related explosives, I found that there was nothing similar to what I have been experimenting with recently

Are you sure? http://www.roguesci.org/theforum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2844

Not all that original I'm afraid.

Although this is in the watercooler, it shows me that you're not paying proper attention to the rest of the board.

C- could do better.

knowledgehungry
September 15th, 2003, 08:53 PM
After all the crap ive been seeing from newbs this was a refreshing change, as its your idea more or less, you can name it.

nbk2000
September 15th, 2003, 10:32 PM
As long as it's not plagerism.

blindreeper
September 16th, 2003, 03:56 AM
This appears to be very simlilar to way the former mod "J", used chlorate weedkiller. He called it "Chlorate/TP"

http://www.geocities.com/thejuiceuk/tpprop.html
http://www.geocities.com/thejuiceuk/rockets.html

I like rockets and have just finished making the aluminium spindle for my BP ones. But I have heard rumours that you can get chlorate weedkiller in oz under the brand name "insta-go" It is a liquid and is basicly a saturated solution. I may try this propellent if I find the weedkiller

nbk2000
September 16th, 2003, 04:05 AM
Chlorate is the oxidizer and cellullose the fuel. Now, since the degree of intimacy with which these are mixed affects the rate of combustion, you may want to try using the cellulose filtering aid found at pool suppliers. It's pure cellulose, in very finely chopped fiber form, and would make a great fuel I'd think.

Soak the fibers in a boiling (saturated) solution of chlorate, scoop it into your rocket body, and ram it. The excess solution is forced out, and the fibers are bound together by the crystallized chlorate when it cools, forming a highly dense propellant grain. :)

Also, your rockets may be more effective if they are restrained during their initial burning,when the propellant is starting to burn, but hasn't reached full combustion. This keeps the rockets from becoming unstable at low speed when it first leaves the rail. Once they're at full thrust, then they can be launched at high speed, thus highly stable too. :D

A shear wire would be sufficient.

vulture
September 16th, 2003, 05:34 AM
The excess solution is forced out,

You'll loose quite alot of chlorate that way, considering the insane solubility of NaClO3.
Furthermore, it will be hard to control the chlorate content and thus hard to control OB/performance.

zeocrash
September 16th, 2003, 07:29 AM
i thought chlorates weren't good to get wet.
wouldn't using NaNO3 as the oxidiser work better as there would be no break down into chloric acid or that could cause spontaneous combustion

vulture
September 16th, 2003, 08:30 AM
Unless you're going to throw a strong acid (since HClO3 is a strong acid itself) into the solution, it's perfectly safe to dissolve chlorates.

NaNO3/paper will just smolder.

shooter3
September 16th, 2003, 09:56 PM
Your methode is a little different than mine was, but you still have a fair risk of detoation, so be careful.
My little accident involved a spill on corigated cardboard. I rolled up the dried spill in a tight roll to throw it out and desided to burn it instead. Being very cautious, I used a fuse and was 10 yards away befor it caught fire. EXTREMELY fast burning then POW!

I'm glad that it was mostly burnt before the detonation!:eek: