View Full Version : Acid protection plastic coating for Skin

rational611
September 15th, 2003, 03:44 PM
Does anybody know of a solution in which if you dip your hands, a thin coating of plastic is formed which protects you from acid burns? What is it called and what is its composition? How effective is it? I had seen about this thing on TV, but do not remember much.

See the above highlighted text? This is called "Not reading the Rules", because if you HAD, you'd know that putting your username in either your signature line (see below) or at the bottom of your posts is HIGHLY irritating. Correct yourself.

NBK

frogfot
September 15th, 2003, 04:10 PM
I heard about "spray-on" condoms, could this be a similar thing.. haha :p

Efraim_barkbit
September 15th, 2003, 05:15 PM
You know, these things come in a pre-made version called gloves:D
Iīve heard of a product called liquid latex, thatīs maybee what you are looking for?

BTW, not really liquid gloves, but safeskin (http://www.safeskin.com) can get you free samples (http://www.safeskin.com/samples.asp) of regular ones...

vulture
September 16th, 2003, 05:50 AM
Coat your hands, limbs, penis, whatever in a thick layer of PTFE grease and you'll be safe.

zeocrash
September 16th, 2003, 07:23 AM
i prefer to use PVC gloves because they arent destroyed by parafin, white spirit etc.
alternatively, have you tried dipping your skin in hexanoyl dichloride and 1,6, diaminohexane in quick succession, this should form a layer of nylon over your hands.

blindreeper
September 17th, 2003, 05:08 AM
Vulture you forgeting that female members don't have a penis.

And where the fuck would one get hexanoyl dichloride and 1,6, diaminohexane ? Besides nylon isn't that resistant to stuff so it wouldn't be worth it - not for chem anyway. When going on "jobs" that could be usefull to stop finger prints getting everywhere.

Tuatara
September 17th, 2003, 05:56 AM
You can get a liquid (waterbased) latex from art supply shops, that is used as a resist in water-colour painting. Trouble is it smells bad and costs money, but it would probably work quite well.

vulture
September 17th, 2003, 07:13 AM
Vulture you forgeting that female members don't have a penis.

:o My bad. Although females can't think with their dick, now can they?

Ollie Snowie
November 4th, 2003, 10:13 AM
You know, I think this does actually exsist; I saw an ad in a catalogue of a company which has now been sold to another company whos name I cannot state because of the potential rush of kewls (It also sells a few useful ;) chems.).
The name of the product was "Derma Shield" and, from the pic next to it, it looked quite effective (The pic showed some whateveritwas eating through a latex glove, a few sheets of cloth, washing harmlesly over the protected hand and then going on to turn a plank of wood black. I'm not sure about the authenticity of this pic, but I suppose it would be a fowl trick for a lab supplier to pretend that the pic was real just to get people to buy it (In the end I don't trust the pic because the trickle of whatevercorrosivesubstance looks fake and the black mark on the wood looks a bit too much like a perfect oval for my liking.).