View Full Version : Help please

chemwarrior
September 22nd, 2003, 02:18 PM
Alright, Ive acquired a new HDD, 120gigs, Ive installed it, blah blah blah, and Ive now created an 'evidence' file using Encase. Problem is, Ive never used the program before, so now I am, umm, lost. Im not exactly sure what the next thing Im supposed to do is.. if someone could clue me in, it would be MASSIVELY appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

chemwarrior
September 22nd, 2003, 03:07 PM
Never mind, I figured it out.

Now I have another question though- Is there any way to save files that have been overwritten? I mean, ones where they show up with a little "x" on gray folder or "x" on manila folder? I need to recover those files... some of them are very important... and now that Ive back things up, I should be able to if theres a way.... so ANY help would be appreciated

Nihilist
September 22nd, 2003, 09:46 PM
Sorry, once a file is overwritten it is permanent(unless you are the NSA, and still, it isn't very easy even for them).

chemwarrior
September 23rd, 2003, 02:03 AM
Yeah.. I figured as much:( damnit, thats a lot of personal info and things down the drain:(

nbk2000
September 23rd, 2003, 03:50 AM
That's why you have to use multiple hard drives, multiple partitions, drive images, daily backup scripts, CD-R archiving, 24/7 firewall and anti-virus protection, regular mantainence of defragging and drive monitoring, etc etc.

I learned the hard way too. You'll learn from this and be better for it. Then you too won't lose anything for years like I haven't. :D

vulture
September 23rd, 2003, 07:12 AM
That's why you have to use multiple hard drives, multiple partitions, drive images, daily backup scripts, CD-R archiving, 24/7 firewall and anti-virus protection, regular mantainence of defragging and drive monitoring, etc etc.

Who said computers were the infotainment centrals of the future? :rolleyes:

Anyways, Billie boy just spended an 8 figure sum to malaria research, so I guess we should shut up.