View Full Version : Picric Acid, Larger Yields - Archive Thread

Anthony
March 5th, 2003, 05:54 PM
The Real
Frequent Poster
posted February 02, 2001 11:20 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I ran a search on PA and it seems at the most, by safetylast, 75g is the max yield using the procedure from megalomania's site. My question is: Has anyone ever bumped the ratios to get a higher yield? And the results if it has been done?
PA being similar to TNT (hydroxyl group instead of methyl), yet more powerful, is it as stable? I've heard of blocks of TNT being sawed or melted and poured into castings for shells and shaped charges.

And lastly is acetasalicylic acid soluble in other alcohols other than ethanol, such as isopropanol (it's cheaper)?

MacCleod
Frequent Poster
posted February 03, 2001 03:13 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know for a fact that denatured alcohol (mostly ethanol) works as well,and is waaay cheaper;never tried isopropyl though.Also,I believe someone posted awhile back that they started with 5 times the ingredients,don't remember what the yield was (way more,I believe).

Mr Cool
Frequent Poster
posted February 03, 2001 05:29 AM
PA isn't as stable as TNT. You can't cast it safely. If it was as insensitive as TNT, then it couldn't be used in boosters or detonators, which it does very well.
And I always use denatured alcohol when I make it.

The Real
Frequent Poster
posted February 03, 2001 09:34 AM
Ok, one of the earlier posts said it was as stable as TNT. Thanks for putting some truth into that, it could be life saver.
I can get isopropyl cheaper than I can ethyl.
$.99 for a pint of isopropyl, $3.29 for a quart of denatured ethanol.