View Full Version : smuggling help

rubberchiken
September 23rd, 2003, 09:30 AM
I’m soon taking a trip to the U.S (I live in Australia), and I was hoping to bring a few items back, namely a blowgun, a slingshot and a BB rifle. The first two aren’t a problem, but getting a BB rifle past customs seems like it might be a bit of a problem. I already know which one I want: a ‘UHC super 9’. It comes in pieces; the main ones are: the barrel, stock, internals, chamber (with spring), magazine/s and barrel holder.
If anyone has any ideas or tips, help would be greatly appreciated.

zeocrash
September 23rd, 2003, 11:38 AM
hmm have you thought of setting up a mailbox, then mailing the pieces there individually. it may cost some but i dont imagine any problems with customs.

T_Pyro
September 23rd, 2003, 12:04 PM
I wouldn't take my chances with the customs: the customs department was actually unwilling to let me receive some sample IC's, so I wonder what they'd think if I tried sending gun parts through the mail!
You could try some other methods, though. If you have any unusual Electronic devices (most electronic medical devices, like blood pressure monitors work wonders for this), you could open them up and stow the individual parts of the gun inside them. If you get any funny questions, insist that they are extremely sensitive precision devices, and can't be opened up.

zeocrash
September 23rd, 2003, 02:06 PM
although customs officers may not know the first thing about medical equipement, they do know what parts of a gun look like, and if you go through customs with a complete gun in pieces, even if it is desguised, you will almost certainly be stopped.
sending it through the mail is deffinatly the way to smuggle things, as there are no export laws on gun barrels, or stocks. just remember the items must be sent seperatly otherwise they will not get through.
i seem to remember that when buying flash powder components from overseas, if you buy the AL and the oxidiser together, they never arrive, but if you buy the al, and then buy the oxidiser in a seperate order, it gets through

T_Pyro
September 23rd, 2003, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by zeocrash
although customs officers may not know the first thing about medical equipement, they do know what parts of a gun look like, and if you go through customs with a complete gun in pieces, even if it is desguised, you will almost certainly be stopped.

A little imagination will do wonders here: One must choose exactly how to disguise the parts of a gun effectively. I'm presuming the customs department uses X-ray machines. In that case, you could wrap the parts in some heavy metal foil (would a couple of layers of Al foil be enough?) to make a kind of cylindrical looking object, which can be placed among motors /pumps /pressure guages, or even PCB's for extra cover and "camouflage". Oh yeah, like you said, putting all the gun pieces in the same "case" is not a good idea.

Arkangel
September 23rd, 2003, 05:57 PM
T Pyro, Indian customs are so keen to inspect baggage as they are looking for stuff to steal.

Rubberchicken, I'd be curious what airline you fly with. Some will allow you to take replica/air weapons in your hold baggage. It's pretty unusual for baggage to be scanned at the arrival airport, so if you were up front with the airline, you might just be able to carry it through in your luggage. If they stop you, just plead ignorance, if you're underage you'll likely get away with it.

Security scanners will almost certainly query something if it's a solid looking object. Otherwise you could wrap an IED in lead to get it on the plane. I was stopped once because I had some swimming mitts in my bag, that have 3 1lb lead weights in and they were suspicious of the lead.

Cyclonite
September 24th, 2003, 04:29 AM
Iv flown overseas with firearms on my checkon, it shouldnt be a problem

Arkangel
September 24th, 2003, 05:29 AM
I'm more thinking that if he's flying with an Aussie airline, they may well know that these things are prohibited there and stop him taking it.

Cyclonite
September 24th, 2003, 05:48 AM
BB guns are illegal in Australia? I never knew it was that bad, well good luck. What if you fly an american airline back to Australia?

metal dragon
September 24th, 2003, 05:58 AM
hey,
With all this anti-terrorism shit you’d be extremely lucky if you got it through customs. I have no ideas on how to bypass this but don’t get your hopes up.

john_smith
September 24th, 2003, 10:24 AM
Use mail. If they discover the shit, at least you have a chance of not being nailed yourself.
Speaking about disguising gun parts, I used to know a guy really into custom cars who actually cast his own hood ornaments, door handles etc. According to him they were made from a mix of some low melting point solders and he had learned the method from some obscure book which he had already lost by then. Now if it's good enough for hood ornaments and such, its might be good enough for a fake machine part to hide your gun parts in as well...

4r50n
September 24th, 2003, 10:52 AM
BB guns usually made from material that different from real gun(metal), i think this will help in smuggling the gun by placing them inside an electronic device, since i ve talk with an operation divisi of an airline, the x ray machine recognising the object from its material and shape, correct me if i am wrong.

zeocrash
September 24th, 2003, 01:20 PM
yes but if the operator sees an object that looks like a gun part, he's not going to let it through just because it dont appear to be gun metal.
besides i wouldn't risk taking gun parts in my carry on luggage, you'll be stopped and carted off to camp (insert phonetic letter here) as a terrorist in no time

Anthony
September 24th, 2003, 02:09 PM
From what I can make out, a "UHC Super9" is an Airsoft gun.

Unless Australian laws are very different to most, it will be classified as a toy and thus not be restricted. Still shouldn't go in your carry-on if you are sane, but should be OK in main baggage.

Incoming baggage is rarely scanned, even if it is and they do pull you, once the case is opened and they see what it is you should be on your way with only a short delay - an honest mistake on their part.

If it is restricted for some reason, or you were bringing in something else which you know is restricted, best to post it. Airport security is MUCH tighter than postal, especially it it's groundbased (it'd go in a shipping container with thousands of other items). Plus, do you really want to be caught red handed with it? At best you could find yourself temporarily detained, at worse you could be declared a terrorist.

Macgyver
September 25th, 2003, 02:14 AM
I can agree on that postal security is much less than airport security.

I live in Sweden, where we have very strict gun laws - In fact we cannot even buy blank firing guns legally.

But ordering one by mail from another country seems to work just fine - Found a nice Beretta 92F in my mailbox the other day :D

As others have mentioned, if importing restricted items, try to spread the risk if possible. (Mail them in pieces, and never order ammo together with a gun for instance - All packages classified as hazmat *will* get an inspection for sure!).

FragmentedSanity
September 25th, 2003, 05:23 AM
Lo all :)

As an Aussie, I thought Id shed a little light on the legal situation in regards to firearms in this country.
I spose I could just cut to the chase and say that without a licence everything is illegal. Thats not really an exxageration either.
Airsoft weapons are Illegal. But sometimes get past customs if they are sent in packaging labeling a toy (it also helps if they look like a toy - clear plastic casing and such).
You need a licence to buy any kind of firearm. including air rifles and aair pistolos, regardless of power. Replicas and blank firing guns require a permit and an age of 18+ .
You need a licence for ammo, powder and primers. And yes - these days it includes air rifle pellets too.
Oh - and even if you do things legally and get a licence, most people are only allowed sporting rifles and shotguns - no semi's or even hi-cap mags! You can apply for a licence to use thes but most people are refused. Oh and pistols need a special licence too, combined with regular competition at a pistol club.
Crossbows are even illegal in some states.
But the worst ting by far IMO is that having the licence/s gives the authorities an open invitation to searcg you place, so they can make sure everything is stored correctly. So much for needing a warrant.
Im sure there is stuff Ive missed - but that should give you an idea as to what things are like downunder.
If any Aussise out there have tales they'd care to share regarding getting hold of either parts or kits or anything similar Id REALLY like to hear about it.
FS

rubberchiken
September 25th, 2003, 06:10 AM
Thanks for the help. Although yes, i am underage, i think i'll send the gun back in pieces, sounds a bit safer than attempting to bring them on a plane. I'll check with my airline ( Qantas this time, i think ) though, i would make it easier, cheaper and faster than sending them back.

Macgyver
September 25th, 2003, 11:12 AM
Oh lord..... That gives me a whole new perspective to the words "gun control".

And I thought we had a bad deal over here.....

metafractal
September 25th, 2003, 01:15 PM
As has been said, customs in australia are extremely tight. I recently came back from my trip to Eastern Europe. I was stranded at Heathrow for three days and they lost our luggage, as they did just about everyone's (there was a strike).
Now, when they have thousands of bags coming into the country, you would assume that they probably wouldnt scan most of them, and they certainly wouldnt fuss over insignificant shit.
Well, I had not even tried to bring anything in myself. All I had, was a tiny little toy gun that I was bringing back for my cousing. It shot little soft plastic/foam pellets that could not penetrate a leaf (Seriously, I tried). It was clearly a toy. Guess what? They confiscated it.

Australia's firearm laws are insane. From my experience, it seems like anything that can propell anything more than 3m/s is an illegal firearm.

Hang-Man
September 25th, 2003, 08:53 PM
I live in Canada and would say I have it just as bad. If I want to own a handgun I need the following things:

1.Pass a class/test on using guns in general.
2.Pass a class/test on using Handguns
3.Get my PAL (possession and acquisition license)-lets me buy sporting rifles and ammo, waiting period about 4 months
4.Get my restricted PAL - lets me buy a "restricted weapon'" this includes all handguns and some rifles - waiting period about 4 months
5.Get my permission to transport license- lets me move my gun from the store to my house/house to club. and nowhere else. firearm must also be stored under lock and key. waiting period 2 months
6.Get my restricted permission to transport license- lets me take my gun onto a military range. The military are the only people with good ranges in Canada.

and before I can do any of that I must be at least 18. someone under 18 can't even buy ammo for their pellet gun or CO2 canisters. Im not kidding.

Damn this place.

GibboNet
September 26th, 2003, 12:03 AM
While Australia's laws are insane regarding gun control, It's getting worse. Apparantly they've just declared (in victoria only as far as I can tell) swords to be illegal, they have to be stored in the same manner as rifles / handguns - Locked safe bolted to the floor etc.

I've always wanted to legally own a few firearms, it's getting to be a worse idea every day. As soon as I have the money to spare, I'm going for it though.

Tuatara
September 26th, 2003, 12:21 AM
Want to hear something really ridiculous? My friend wanted to import a 'Samurai' sword from the US, so he called up the police to ask if it was OK.

Police:" Does it have one sharp edge, or two?"
My Friend: "Only one."
Police:" Thats OK then, you can have your sword"

:confused:

I've seen this thing, 4 foot blade, razor sharp (one edge only:D ) and plenty lethal.

Realistically, if you are entitled to own a BB gun, you should be able to legitimately import the thing if you stay above board and go through the proper channels.

Axt
September 26th, 2003, 12:23 AM
They tend to make crazy unenforcable laws just to pretend like they are doing something, youll find a lot of things can be legally made but not bought, such as shanghais/slingshots because they cant charge a 5 year old with a rubber band and a fork of a tree, so they have to make it legal if its homemade as a "toy".

Evan007
October 24th, 2003, 10:09 AM
I am a licenced shooter in Australia and let me tell you, come to Austraia, enjoy the scenery, people, sights and scenes, But if you want to have anything to do with firearms, GOOD LUCK!
Unlicenced people arent legally allowed to shoot or even TOUCH a firearm no matter who is supervising, serious. You cant even touch an air rifle without a licence. This is a C class licence, the lowest easiest to get licence, It doesnt allow any Handguns AT ALL. An A Class licences allow everything including bren guns but to get this licence you need to have super special job requirements eg Presidential security - unnattainable to everyone except for around 1000 people in Oz. B class is easier to get but still pretty unnattainable to regular joes.

And now the latest developement......All high caliber handguns are completely banned except for law enforcement. High caliber being anything above .38 calbre. To have a Handgun licence at all, you must be in a regular club, and go through hell to prove it, in experiences close to me,(friends etc)

Sorry for being OT

Anyway, some friends of mine just came back from japan with everything from knives to brass knuckles (illegal weapons in need of a prohibited weapons permit) all in luggage, wrapped in excessive amounts of spare change. Extremely excessive amounts actually. Maybe not an option since US currency is almost gold compared to AUS$ although the AUS$ is pretty strong at the moment, still its an option for smaller parts.

Why not disguise the barrel as a hinge or support bar in the back of a bag or suitcase?

I think Shipping is by far your best bet though

I hope all my info is accurate though, feel free to correct my mistakes.

xyz
October 24th, 2003, 10:42 PM
Evan, I think that the license class system you are talking about is only for your state, we have a totally different system where I live, A category A license is the easiest to get and allows repeating rimfires/ shotguns only (but no pump shotguns), a cat. B license allows repeating centrefires in addition to that but is harder to obtain, a cat. C or D license allows pump shotguns and semi auto weapons but is almost impossible to obtain (you have to be a farmer, pest controller, or police orificer), and a cat. H license allows hanguns but is also highly restricted (you have to be a police orificer or attend a pistol club at least once a month and prove that you attended).

I think it is totally idiotic that semi auto rimfires are banned from the general public while Australia has one of the world's worst feral rabbit problems and the rabbits cost the economy hundreds of million a year. :rolleyes: :confused: :mad:

IIRC, a member here (I can't remember who though) managed to get a gun into Australia by totally dismantling it, mixing the parts up with about 3 times their volume of other random machine parts and sharp pieces of scrap metal, putting the whole lot into a 25L drum, pouring in dirty black oil until it covered the parts, labelling it as "DIY Robotics Parts", and then having it shipped to Australia from the US.

Even if the scanner did show something suspicious, nobody at customs is going to want to rummage around in a drum full of sharp bits of metal and dirty engine oil. It is still a hell of a lot of trouble to go to just to get an illegal gun into Australia (You would have to pay for a flight to the US, get the weapon(s), pack them up, ship them, and then fly back), but it might be worth it for a few SMGs or suchlike.

Are there any chemicals that are used for protecting metals from corrosion that are also toxic? If there are then you could pack the parts in that and put a big label on the lid that says "DANGER : Packed in (insert chem name here), highly toxic, DO NOT OPEN WITHOUT PROTECTIVE EQUIPMENT".