View Full Version : NEW OXIDIZER (A PEROXIDE)

Alchemist
August 21st, 2001, 12:02 AM
Hello all,

How has everybody been? Well here it is, a new PEROXIDE, a metallic one. It seems to be a real good oxidizer! So far I have tested it with some powdered Magnesium, a little filed Aluminum , and some Sucrose (sugar). All with a very violent reaction! It is very easy to make, but does require VOLUME 100 (30%) HYDROGEN PEROXIDE (H2O2). For all of use using HAIR BLEACHING H2O2 for Acetone Peroxide and thinking it was 30% or 40%, it is NOT! Volume 100 is 30% and it goes down from there. 40 volume is 12%, 30 volume is 9%, and 20 volume is 6%. Also I have found out that the POOL PEROXIDE (Baqua) is about 7.5%! All OK for Acetone Peroxide, but NOT metal peroxides, you MUST use 30% or higher. I was able to persuade my dentist to give me 100ml! So for those of you who can get 30%, here is the procedure.

Chemicals required; 30% H2O2, Zinc Sulfate (ZnSO4) (or other water soluble Zinc salt), and concentrated clear Ammonia water!

In a large flask (500ml) or etc. add 14.38 grams of ZnSO4 and add 7.5 ml of distilled H2O! Bring to a temperature of 85 to 90 degrees C and then quickly add 15 ml of concentrated Ammonia water. During this step , the precipitated Zinc Hydroxide (Zn(OH)2 is redissolved. Now add again quickly 20 ml of the 30% H2O2. The color should change to a light yellow to a yellow/orange. Also there may be a lot of frothing (the reason for a large flask or etc.). Maintain temperature for at least one hour. Remove heat and stir for another 10 minutes, then filter (vacuum preferred) in hot state and wash with water till filtrate is free of any sulfate. Dry at room temperature! That's it!

ZnO2; White to yellow/orange powder! Decomposes rapidly above 150 degrees C. Decomposes in acid, alcohol, and acetone. Insoluble in H2O, but is decomposed by it!
Hazards; Severe explosion risk when heated; explosive range from 190 to 212 C. Fire risk in contact with metals and organic materials.

P.S.1, I hope to soon test with Calcium,Barium,Lithium,and Strontium. That is if I can find MORE 30% H2O2.

P.S.2, I know that weaker H2O2 can be concentrated by freezing. Has anyone of ya done it and what where your results and details (ice box, temperature, etc.) Thanks!

CyclonitePyro
August 21st, 2001, 01:13 AM
There are two kinds of baquacil, the kind for spas and the kind for pools, it says on the back of the gallon I have 27% H2O2, maybe the spa kind is 7%, with the results I get with AP and HMTD, it is definitly 27%.

Alchemist
August 21st, 2001, 01:39 AM
Thanks CyclonitePyro,

This is some good news. Are you in the USA?

------------------

Teck
August 21st, 2001, 04:03 AM
When I first ordered Baquacil they sent me 7.5% peroxide wich is called baquaSpa and Baquacil for pool is 30% so right on cyclonitepyro

the freshmaker
August 21st, 2001, 01:58 PM
That is interresting- if it is true!
Where did you find this information?
I will try this experiment with Barium sulfate soon maybe tomorrow. Should I use the same method with BaSO4 as for ZnSO4?

Alchemist
August 21st, 2001, 07:42 PM
Hello all,

This information is true, as I have made the ZINC PEROXIDE as described and it does work as described. The information came to me from a HIGH SCHOOL chemistry teacher. He did not tell me where the information came from (I do NOT think he wanted me to know)!

Also I have NOT tried others yet so I have no further information, except an old chemistry book that says that Strontium Peroxide is made by mixing H2O2 and Strontium Hydroxide! Just thought I would try some others though!

Bye for now..................................

------------------

CyclonitePyro
August 22nd, 2001, 02:26 AM
Yup, I'm from the U.S., PA. to be exact.
But that's about as specific as I'm going to get.
I can remember walking out of the Apollo Pools store gripping my baquacil tight with tears in my eyes. The cashier told me not to drink it all at once.
I hope Apollo Pools is a nation wide store, otherwise I might of given away my location.

Alchemist
August 22nd, 2001, 11:16 AM
Hello gang,

Got some 27% H2O2 from Baquacil. Starting work on Strontium Peroxide!

------------------

the freshmaker
August 23rd, 2001, 10:48 AM
Yesterday I tried to make BaO2 from BaSO4. I used the same method/ratios as for Zinc peroxide (I know it wasn't optimal for BaO2)
I don't think the reaction worked since I tried to ignite a mix of the powder and Al/sucrose and nothing happendhttp://theforum.virtualave.net/ubb/smilies/frown.gif
BaSO4 is very insoluble in water, can that be the reason that it didn't worked?
I know that BaO2 can be made by reacting BaOH with O2, but I don't have any BaOH.
Does anyone else hav some info about these metal peroxides? I thought about using NaOH (caustic soda) to produce Sodium peroxide?

Alchemist
August 25th, 2001, 03:51 PM
Hello gang,

Well I am sorry to say, I can NOT get even the ZINC PEROXIDE to work with the 27% H2O2 from Baquacil. The Dentist peroxide I was given was said to be 35%. I do not know if this is what has to be used or if the Baquacil peroxide has same impurities in it.
Well it was a good try! MAYBE if I feel real energetic I will concentrate the 27%. Later then........................................

Lagen
August 25th, 2001, 07:27 PM
Barium peroxide - I somehow don't believe the recipe is absolutely correct, I think there is a 5 fold excess of ammonia and 10 fold excess of H2O2 (or maybe it's necessary), but anyway, here's what I found. If you try it and find it to work with less peroxide, please let me know.

Prepare a solution of 47g of barium chloride dihydrate in 250ml water. To this solution add 250ml 30% H2O2. Add 200ml 24% aqueous ammonia solution with stirring. Let the mixture stand until no more precipitate forms. Decant the clear portion, and replace the liquid with fresh water. Repeat the decanting 2-3 times. Filter on a Buchner funnel and wash with water. Dry in a porcelain cup at 50-70°C, occasionally spreading the powder with a spatula. After the product turns into a crumbly mass, increase the temperature to 75-80°C. Store the completely dried product in a tightly sealed bottle. Yield: 55-60g of the octahydrate. The product can be further dried to the hemihydrate at 130°C. The completely anhydrous peroxide can be obtained above 200°C, but a partial loss of oxygen will occur.

the freshmaker
August 26th, 2001, 05:47 AM
Thanks Lagen! Are you sure BaSO4 can't be used to make Barium Peroxide? I don't have any Barium Chloridehttp://theforum.virtualave.net/ubb/smilies/frown.gif What about the Sodium Peroxide? Can it be made with Sodium Chloride or Sodium Hydroxide or other avaible chemicals?

Lagen
August 26th, 2001, 09:57 AM
Barium Sulfate - It probably won't do the trick http://theforum.virtualave.net/ubb/smilies/frown.gif BaSO4 is well known for its "insolubility" (MUCH less soluble than calcium sulfate), for this reason reactions involving BaSO4 (most typically starting from BaCl2) are often used in analytical chemistry where a simple method of sulfate ion assay is desired. Similarly, in preparative chemistry such reactions are used to "clean" solutions of sulfate ions. Being used as barium meal for x-raying, it is the most readily available barium chemical. It was commonly available in my country a few years ago (in medical supplies shops), but nowadays it is supplied only to hospitals. I have a friend who can steal it for me, though. But BaSO4 is pretty useless.
Barium Chloride - You should consider getting this from a friendly labware/chemical supplier. It is one of the most important chemicals in a lab (for the above reasons) and its acquisition arouses little suspition. You just need to convince them you don't want do poison someone with it. Make up a story involving "removing sulfate ions" (bout your photographic chemicals or whatever) and you shouldn't have problems.
Sodium Peroxide - A similar method won't work to make it, because Na2O2 reacts with water to form NaOH and free oxygen (therefore it is one of the strongest bleaches around). I don't know what method is used to prepare it, perhaps something like reacting metallic sodium with 100% H2O2 in vacuum... One of my anorganic technology books mentions it, the book is at a friend, so I can't look right now, but anyway I think it involved just NaOH and H2O2, so the peroxide was present only in solution and could not be isolated.

Alchemist
August 26th, 2001, 09:12 PM
Hello all,

Thanks for the info Lagen! What we need is some more feed back. I really hope others try these and other metallic Peroxides and PLEASE post your findings. Like I have stated the Zinc Peroxide does work as first stated. I will also try Lagens recipe and again still work with others (Strontium, Lithium, Calcium, Barium, and etc.)as time permits (school is starting Aug 29). Like I said in the beginning these Peroxides make great oxidizers for all sorts for stuff (flash compositions, detonators, pyrotechnics, and etc.. Well that's it for now................

------------------

mark
September 12th, 2001, 09:30 PM
Where can I get zink sulphate?

kingspaz
September 13th, 2001, 05:39 PM
zinc sulphate can be made by adding metallic zinc to copper sulphate. it should make metallic copper and a zinc sulphate solution.

mark
September 17th, 2001, 09:56 PM
Are their any other sources?

FadeToBlackened
September 17th, 2001, 10:07 PM
Sulphuric acid and Zinc metal should also give it. I dont know what if anything it is used for.

mark
September 17th, 2001, 10:23 PM
Where can I find zinc powder?

Alchemist
September 18th, 2001, 02:35 AM
Hello gang,

I bought my Zinc Sulfate at "Green Thumb" Nurseries!

Zinc can be found as the casing for Zinc/Carbon batteries.

mark
September 18th, 2001, 07:37 PM
Cool. I may have to try this. Ive obtained some 30% peroxide from furniture bleach, but I am hesitant to waste any of this precious comodity withought knowing a bit more this experiment. My main question is how much zinc peroxide was yielded.

Alchemist
September 18th, 2001, 08:03 PM
Hello all,

I got about 10 grams the first time and 13 grams the second time. I used 35% H2O2 the first time and 27% the second. I refluxed the second time and that is why I think I got a better yield, but the first batch was with a better oxygen content! Bye..........

the freshmaker
September 24th, 2001, 09:52 AM
Do ya think copper peroxide can be prepared by reacting copper sulfate with H2O2? That would be nice since it is easy to buy Copper sulfate.

------------------
good boy with bad ideas

mr.evil
March 28th, 2002, 10:57 AM
i think zinc borate will be a very strong oxidizer to!
i can get this in kg. quantities very easily..

the_wingman
March 29th, 2002, 04:18 PM
I wonder what happens with the ammonia. Normally zinc builds a [Zn(NH3)4]-ion if soluted in ammonia water. Might it be that the final zinc peroxide contains some ammonia like [Zn(NH3)4]O2?

kingspaz
March 29th, 2002, 08:27 PM
CuO2?....hmm....wouldn't that decompose in air to?
2CuO ----> 2CuO + O2 .....since copper is quite unreactive this may be too unstable to exist for long. what about iron peroxide?
FeO2? but these metals have variable oxidation states which may make them liable to decomposition:
FeO2 + FeO (present as impurity) ----> Fe2O3 ?
i dunno....possibilities...
what about aluminium peroxide?
Al2O4...is that the right formula?
could be made by reacting Al foil with H2SO4 to get the sulphate which could inturn be used to prepare the peroxide.

vulture
March 30th, 2002, 06:32 AM
Has anyone ever tried adding H2SO4 to ZnO2? Does this yield H2O2 just like BaO2? If yes, it can be used to concentrate H2O2! :)

Spacko
November 4th, 2007, 12:41 PM
Has anyone successfully made BaO2 from H2O2? I'm interested in it because allegedly its possible to make barium ferrate from BaO2+Fe2O3.

Also I wanted to add that I have made ZnO2 two times, first using the reaction described here, the second time I simply boiled 30% H2O2 with ZnO powder. I got the same yellow powder each time. The second time I used a large glass dish as reaction vessel, because when I used an Erlenmeyer I had big trouble with the frothing. The mixture was boild until no more O2 was formed, then I evaporated at a much lower temp (60°C I would guess). The yellow stuff obtained is a very strong oxidizer. I need to check if it forms impact-sensitive mixtures with sulfur, that would be interesting...

Oh one little warning: I had a small "explosion" of the glass container I used to keep my ZnO2. Apparently there was some moisture in it. Because it was tightly sealed, this produced a high pressure and/or temperature, possibly causing a chain reaction with more ZnO2 decomposing. Anyways, the glass container was shattered with a loud boom, spreading the corrosive powder all over the place >:( Luckily I could recover most of it.

Spacko
November 30th, 2007, 02:58 PM
Just did a small test: ZnO2 does form impact and friction sensitive mixtures with sulfur. They're less sensitive than chlorate mixtures however.

Pb(NO3)2
November 30th, 2007, 06:24 PM
Could you describe the experiment please. How much ZnO did you add to how much H2O2? And how long did you boil it? And did you wash the ZnO2 after filtering it? If yes with what? And did you dried it in open air or did you heat it?

Bacon46
December 1st, 2007, 08:07 PM
I worked with a welder/blacksmith that uses 35% H2O2 and NaCl to accelerate the formation of rust for the rustic look.
He purchased the H2O2 by the gallon at Chem Lab Supply in Phoenix, Arizona

Helpful if you live in the Phoenix area.

Yafmot
December 29th, 2007, 07:13 PM
This stuff gives me an idea for my smoke grenade program. If I mixed up the proper proportions of Zn and ZnO2 in, say, a PBAN binder, the metal and the peroxide should form ZnO, the particles of which will be carried out and dispersed by the gasification of the rubber. I might have to juggle the amount of oxidizer, so that all the binder burns up. If I use just the right amount of extra ZnO2, it might strip only one Oxygen off for burning the binder, leaving yet more ZnO for the cloud.

So, whaddaya' think? Would it require more ZnO2 than is safe to make? I prefer to do my flying in an airplane.

Zelot
December 31st, 2007, 07:39 PM
Because we are all talking about the possibilities of metalic peroxides other than zinc, why not just try magnesium peroxide? I mean, magnesium sulfate hydrate can be bought very easily at most stores as epsom salts, so... would it be possible?