View Full Version : anyone have VB6 professional edition or better

zeocrash
September 29th, 2003, 03:04 PM
Ok i'm working away on my p2p project, but unfortunatly it requires a winsock control.
i happen to be using VB 6 learining edition, which comes with a runtime only winsock control.
i was wondering if anyone with vb 6 proffessional edition, or better could get me mswinsck.ocx (full version) , or even better could get me a full copy of vb 6 proffessional edition or better.
cheers

on another note i've now been a member of the forum for just over a year

nbk2000
September 29th, 2003, 04:30 PM
VB6 is crap. Use Delphi instead.

zeocrash
September 29th, 2003, 04:34 PM
i know it's crap, but i dont know delphi

peterthesmart
September 29th, 2003, 05:43 PM
Try IRC for the .net versions.

Tuatara
September 29th, 2003, 05:51 PM
I'm using VB.Net. It has a Socket namespace that implements classes for UDP, TCP , the Berkley socket interface, network access etc.

Never used this bit myself, so I don't know if thats what you're after. I doubt its separable from .Net to use in VB6.

Never thought I'd like a Microsoft product, but I like VB.Net. Makes programming Windows apps unbelievably easy.

VB.Net cost me NZ$240 for the base edition - money well spent I feel.

IDTB
September 29th, 2003, 07:11 PM
Visual Basic is IDEAL for learning your first programming language, though it's not very useful as one. A mere stepping stone.

I'd suggest moving to C/C++ or like NBK2000 said, Delphi. Although, these two languages are much harder to learn than Visual Basic, they are ideal for actual use. If you were to switch to C/C++ I'd suggest learning javascript first untill you have a good grasp on it.

If you're determed to use Visual Basic for this application I'd recommend Visual Basic 6 Professional Edition which can be found rather easily, I may even have it on disk somewhere.

As for acquiring the full version of mswinsck.ocx: you should already have it. Many many applications that are ran on Windows requires it. By a rare chance you don't, you can easily find it on the Microsoft website.

T_Pyro
September 29th, 2003, 07:20 PM
Many might say that VB is just "crap", but I beg to differ. Just about any win32/win16 application that can be coded in most other languages can also be coded in VB. Anyway, I guess this isn't the place to be discussing the merits/demerits of VB, but I'll just say that having coded a 3D engine natively in VB, I'm pretty convinced VB isn't just "crap".

zeocrash, I've uploaded the mswinsck.ocx file from the VisualStudio6 CD for download. Click here (http://www.geocities.com/t_pyro_mania/) to download it.
I have VisualStudio6, but since it's 606 mb, I have no idea how to give it to you... Any suggestions?

Spudkilla
September 29th, 2003, 07:42 PM
I have a .ISO image of Visual Studio 6, which includes Visual Basic and hundreds of other neat apps. E-mail me so we can find out how to get you the copy.

Tuatara
September 29th, 2003, 08:53 PM
To add to T_Pyro's comment : Visual Studio .Net allows you to program in either VB or C#. Both languages use the exact same runtime library so anything you can do in C# you can do in VB. Just comes down to personal preference after that. I like code that reads like English so I like VB (and Pascal too), I also like strongly typed languages as it is harder to make stupid errors.

metafractal
September 29th, 2003, 11:28 PM
I got VB6 enterprise edition off Kazza. Be persisten, search for "visual basic" every now and then and your bound to find it.

nbk2000
September 30th, 2003, 01:11 AM
If I'm not mistaken, C# is micro$hits proprietary version of the C language that they're trying to foist off on programmers as being "better". Better for who, though? The fact that it uses the same runtime as VB6 says it all, I think.

VB requires a runtime library to be installed on the target machine.

VB is notorious for all the security flaws that it allows attackers to use against the target machine.

VB is sloppy code that works fine for "lite" applications, but is well known for crashing out when dealing with heavy processor loads (like servers...).

It's alright for learning the logic of programming, but is the Duplo blocks of programming, compared to the CNC of assembler, or the machine tools of C.

Kriegsminister
September 30th, 2003, 07:39 AM
I have Visual Studio 6.0 Professional Edition, which also includes Visual Basic. It's on 2 CDs, not including the MFC (Microsoft Foundation Classes) Library. But I guess you won't need MFC anyway.

zeocrash
October 1st, 2003, 02:44 PM
hmm, i'm trying to download vb.net enterprise architect edition, but failing horribly.
chemwarrior, i couldn't find your e-mail address, so you'll have to e-mail me
t-pyro and kreigsminister, check your e-mail

T_Pyro
October 1st, 2003, 03:49 PM
Agreed, VB requires a runtime library, but there's no need to specially "install" it on the target machine. All you have to do is to make sure that you include the MSVBVM60.dll (or MSVBVM50.dll, depending on your version) file in the same folder as the exe file. If you use any cutom activeX controls, then you'll have to include the respective files too.

NBK, by the "security flaws" you mentioned, were you referring to this (http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?url=/technet/security/bulletin/MS03-037.asp) security bulletin released by Microsoft? That flaw affects the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications SDK, not the "conventional" VB that comes with VisualStudio.

VB is admittedly marginally slower than other languages, but one can't ignore its strong points. If you're going to develop some intensive application, you could always code the intensive part in some other language like VC++, and compile it as a dll. This method has quite a few advantages. MFC does make designing windowed applications simpler in VC++, but nothing can beat the ease or the flexibility of the VB IDE. Therefore, you could design the user interface in VB, and still have a stable, fast application. If you were to update the core code at a later stage, you would just have to recompile the dll, instead of having to recompile everything all over, making patches easier.

Finally, however, like Tuatara said, it's just a matter of personal tastes, which cannot be changed by others...

zeocrash, I didn't get your e-mail... Alternatively, you can contact me here. (T__Pyro@Hotmail.com)

Anthony
October 3rd, 2003, 03:47 PM
What, you lot don't write in machine code?:eek:

zeocrash
October 3rd, 2003, 03:59 PM
i do better than that, i convert my programs (written with punch cards) onto integrated circuits, which i then etch with a toothpick onto a wafer of silicon, the size of a flea. :P
spudkilla, e-mail me

Spudkilla
October 3rd, 2003, 08:17 PM
E-mail sent.