View Full Version : Basketball Bomb

VladiO
September 30th, 2003, 12:28 AM
I was thinking of new ways of combining explosives when I remembered a camp moment when a basketball blew up on the court. It was inflated to the limit when cold, and as it heated, air expanded and BOOM. Sounds loud as hell.

Now, thinking that that releases a shitload of compressed air (20psi in a 1.1 gallon ball), which is already a good amount of pressure.

Now, if such a ball is inflated to 20psi with hydrogen/butane + oxygen in 7-3 proportion (+- a little for perfect balance), would it not create a sickeningly powerful explosive? Think about it, you have pressurized butane giving off a huge amount of energy and pressure, multiplied by the initial expansion of the gases as they exit the ball... that looks like a quite a big bang.

That is... with a 1.1 gallon amoutn of 20 psi hydrogen/air mixture, plus a gas expansion rate at about just under 8 times original temperature in kelvin, something like 100 psi. 20x100 psi = 2000psi pressure at release of gas... Now... combusting at about 2070 degrees C, thats quite an explosion. With the added BOOM it's really mind blowing.

chemwarrior
September 30th, 2003, 12:49 PM
It'll work... but what happens when you drop the damn thing on accident? there go your feet is what.

It will work, yes, but its pointless. Thats a VERY KEWLISH idea, ranking with hydrogen balloons and sparkler bombs...:rolleyes:

nbk2000
September 30th, 2003, 05:09 PM
And he was starting out so well too...sigh.

Also, this whole "I can make a bomb out of a (common object)" line of thinking is pointless. Yes, you can make a bomb out of a basketball or even an orange, if you wanted to. It's not the container that matters but rather the filler and the initiation means that makes it a bomb.

And how was this "bomb" supposed to be initiated? It's not going to spontaneously ignite simply from rupturing. You'd have to have some other means, perhaps something inside the ball, but how would you get it in there in the first place? :rolleyes:

End topic. Post another k3wL idea like this and your going to be blown up (out of here).