View Full Version : Where do you want to go from here?

TreverSlyFox
October 3rd, 2003, 10:09 AM
This is more of a question for the younger members. Ok, your interested in explosives and have gained a lot of knowledge here but what do you plan to do in the future? Are you looking to go to a Mining collage and a degree that will let you play with "Legal" explosives. Maybe the military as an EOD officer, or getting into the pyrotechnics field either doing displays or maybe even making the pyros? Of course there's always HollyWood and the FX field or working for one of the major manufacturers of explosives as a reasearch chemist.

If your planning on continuing in the explosives field, where do you see youself in 5, 10 or 20 years? You'll notice I've left out Mad Bomber, Terrorist or Safe Man and such. If that's your goal then it's better left unanswered.

Lil_Guppy
October 3rd, 2003, 11:21 AM
I would actually like to get into the pyrotechnics industry, be it fireworks/display, or something like SFX.

knowledgehungry
October 3rd, 2003, 02:46 PM
I want to go into civilian bomb squad, not military because fuck being away from your wife for 2 years.

FireFly
October 3rd, 2003, 02:49 PM
I intend to get in the field of Synthetic Organic Chemistry after college. As far as any work with explosives, I will get my BATFE type 20 HE License after I turn 21 and perhaps make and sell explosives to other licensed people simply to pay for my hobby, but by no means as a career. I plan on moving to Florida and opening a zoological attraction after my job as a chemist makes enough money for me to do so. I will live on the park and on my free time work on fuel cells, and ofcourse set off some charges to awake the animals. :) I also intend to do some "experiments" on my personal pets.

Anthony
October 3rd, 2003, 03:06 PM
I've often considered trying to give my career a shove towards pyro, and I might try for a job at well known firework manufacturer/displayer. Two things concern me - one is that they'll tell me to get lost since I have no formal qualifications related to the subject (not even chemistry above GCSE). Or that I wouldn't enjoy it as career, doing it day in day out.

Mining I think would be like that, drill hole, insert cartiridge, retire to super safe distance, fire, repeat adnauseum.

I think without the freedom and some of the thrill which comes from improvisation/clandestine activity, it might become boring after a while.

zaibatsu
October 3rd, 2003, 08:21 PM
Investment banking. Retire at 40 with an 18 year old :D

THErAPIST
October 3rd, 2003, 11:16 PM
knowledgehungry , I've talkd to a police chief before to ask what I would have to do to become a bomb technician for this area because my state as far as I know of doesnt have one bomb squad... The chief told me that neither his department or any other department that he knew of would hire anyone to be a bomb tech unless they had military training. I imagine theres a way to get around this but without SOME military disposal training, you might just be fucked.

Personally since I can't forsee me being a bomb tech as I would like, I'm thinking about getting my HE license in 2 years and then messing around with HE's during my freetime. I'll most likely end up having a regular ole job with maybe a display fireworks job as a side job... Maybe...

knowledgehungry
October 4th, 2003, 12:18 AM
I might go into forensics instead, I still have a few years left to decide, something with chem/engineering

blindreeper
October 4th, 2003, 12:50 AM
I would really like to become a explosives chemist. Like work on developing better and safer explosives. But I have no idea on who to contact or anything. Any ideas?

TreverSlyFox
October 4th, 2003, 07:25 AM
Blindreeper,

Just off the top of my head I'ed contact the Major Explosives Manufacturer's Like DOW Chemicel, 3M etc. Maybe just an e-mail to their explosive division would do the trick. I just saw a kid (13yr old) on PBS that contacted the company that built that new suspension bridge saying he really wanted to be an engineer when he grew up and build bridges. They e-mailed him back and invited him to tour their facility, bought him lunch and sat and talked to him about what education he would need, what collage to go to, the whole bit. Even told him that when he had his degree to contact them again for a job.

You may not get that kind of responce buy it doesn't hurt to try and they can't say yes if you don't ask.

mongo blongo
October 4th, 2003, 12:28 PM
I'm gona carry on with my band and see what comes out of it. Then maybe a producer or I could go back to uni and do a degree in chem.Hopefully my wife hasn't even been born yet.

T_Pyro
October 4th, 2003, 06:31 PM
Well, to tell the truth, I'm more into electronics than chem, so I'll most probably end up designing chips (the silicon types, not the potato ones ;) )... Pyrotechnics will continue to be my hobby, though- I always enjoyed mixing (and burning!) stuff.