View Full Version : Snow Machine

peterthesmart
October 3rd, 2003, 06:35 PM
It's startin to get cold here again.. 20 the past few nights. I've been wanting to build a snow making machine since I'm used to it from where I used to live (NY). Out here in MN it gets pretty cold around -20 in the winter but barely any snow. I was wondering if you guys had any input or design suggestions, I've searched the internet but I lack an air compressor. I already have a pressure washer which is one of the key components. Since it gets cold here is there any way I could get away without an air compressor? I got some small engines sitting around so I might be able to use them for something. Thanks for your help and input.

grammarless
October 3rd, 2003, 06:46 PM
I don't know if this actually works, but a friend claimed that he used the "mist" function on a garden watering wand on a sub-zero day, and got some snow. To make a lot of snow with this method you would have to run it all the time, and probably run it from a tap inside with warm water.

Hang-Man
October 3rd, 2003, 07:08 PM
why do you want snow? make a snow man and fill his head with PETN? snowballs soaked with nitro?

peterthesmart
October 3rd, 2003, 07:58 PM
Not a bad idea for helpin the kids out at snow ball fights wit the neighbors, it's just always fun to have something your neighbors don't and to remind you of what a real winter is like.

YayItGoBoom!
October 13th, 2003, 04:24 PM
Some ski companies use a certain bacteria in the water to cause it to crystalize at a higher temperature. But it sounds cold enough there that you wouldn't need it. As far as I know you don't need super high pressure water, just tap water run through a spray nozzle would work. You could also take one of those engines you have lying around, get a nice fan blade, and use the air blast to blow the water mist into the air so its fully frozen before it hits the ground.

Sparky
October 13th, 2003, 11:19 PM
From what I've seen at ski hills, they have a fairly simple system of spraying water up into the air on a cold night. It's fun to visit the ski hill when they have these snow makers running.

But what I really wanted to say is that you will not get snow that is very good compared to (the many kinds of) real snow. Fake snow is obviously fake, but I suppose it's better than nothing. It would be neat to be the only person on your street with snow, especially at Christmas time :) .

Ah yes, back in the day I remember when my friends dad would take out his chain saw and saw up sections of the packed down snow in the school yard. Then we'd build stuff out of the many blocks, then have snowball fights and whatnot from these snow buildings. We had to stop because some moron (no doubt ;) ) got a block dropped on his head and got a concussion. We also used to make big ice slides by tapping into the school water supply and flooding the snow hills...

vulture
October 14th, 2003, 03:41 PM
I'd use warm water, as this'll freeze faster and will form smaller crystals.

Yes, warm water freezes faster than cold water, try it yourself.