View Full Version : hypobromites

zeocrash
October 5th, 2003, 01:11 PM
Ok form my chemistry coursework project, i require some sodium or calcium hypobromite. I have searched the length and breadth of google and have found various mentions of these chemicals being used in pool care and similar, but i have been unable to find a company that sells hypobromites. does anyone know of a company that sells hypobromite.
although it's not essential to buy hypobromite, i'd rather just buy a box of it than have to make myself up a batch in my garage using BCDMH tablets

megalomania
October 5th, 2003, 07:29 PM
You should be able to find hypobromites sold at pool and spa stores. Bromides in general are mostly used for spas, I have never seen anyone use bromine compounds for pools. You could probably make sodium or potassium hypobromite by electrochemicially converting sodium bromide the same way they make bleach. You'll have to look up how to make bleach, but there should be plenty out there. You can get NaBr at Wal-Mart by the pound for cheap.

zeocrash
October 6th, 2003, 04:19 AM
i thought they put hypobromite in spas, but aparently they put Bromo, chloro-5,5-dimethylhydantoin
in spas, which converts to hypobromite and hypochlorite over time

zeocrash
October 7th, 2003, 01:30 PM
i know i shouldn't reply to my own message, but no one will see what i have to say unless i do so what the hell
i've decided to produce hypobromite by mixing liquid bromine with a volume of known concentration NaOH solution.
to make the bromine i take the BCDMH tablets and mix them with acid while heating the mixture, to make sure that all the bromine vapourises. the mixture of gasses (bromine and chlorine) is then cooled causing the bromine to liquify while the chlorine stays gasseous. the bromine is tapped off the bottom and collected.
does anyone know if chlorine is soluable in liquid bromine.
if it is i would have to adjust the design of my condenser.

nbk2000
October 7th, 2003, 04:40 PM
Have you produced bromine by this method yet? If so, details are needed, because bromine has other uses in making powerful tear-gases and drugs, so an OTC method of making it would be very useful.

IPN
October 7th, 2003, 05:28 PM
You can make bromine by oxidizing NaBr solution with chlorine.

2 Br(aq) + Cl2(g) --> Br2(l) + 2Cl(aq)

Then just distill off the bromine.:)

nbk2000
October 7th, 2003, 07:03 PM
I was referring to the use of BCDMH. I know you can make bromine from bromide salts using the same process as is used to obtain elemental iodine from iodide salts by bleach/peroxide.

megalomania
October 8th, 2003, 12:31 PM
That is a very intriguing process to make Br from BCDMH. BCDMH has other sources besides spa chemicals, it also finds use as toilet bowl tank sanitizer usually in the form of toilet bowl drop ins. Such things are quite ubiquitous and likely to remain a consumer product for many years yet. Ultimately any OTC source of bromine is valuable because it is so limited, knowing how to get pure Br from an OTC substance is valuable indeed.

IPN
October 8th, 2003, 05:35 PM
NBK:
Oh ok, I guess I misread you post :(

Btw. is that BCDMH bromo-chlorodimethylhydantoin?