View Full Version : Magnesium cord

Mystery
March 9th, 2001, 09:35 AM
Hey does anyone know where I can get stuff in OZ called Magnesium cord or ribbon.

Just wondering...

CragHack
March 9th, 2001, 04:47 PM
unless you get the Mg firestarters, sale of Mg is pretty restricted throughout most countries. it is used widely in drug making and apparently that is a no-no.

------------------
...Æ

Agent Blak
March 9th, 2001, 05:32 PM
What drugs do can you make from or with Mg?

------------------
A wise man once said:
"...I Am Not Much of a Dancer But,
Just Wait Till The Fucking Begins"

Agent Blak-------OUT!!

CragHack
March 9th, 2001, 09:40 PM
i am not sure specifically but i think it is used in the various oxidation reduction reactions required when making drugs. don't know which ones though... sorry

------------------
...Æ

SATANIC
March 9th, 2001, 11:15 PM
near where i live, the camping dtore sells solid magnesium block, which i file up to a pretty fine powder. it goes off with a great white flah when lit. the only place i have found Mg ribbon is at school. if you're still at school, then it shouldn't be too hard to 'aquire' some.

CragHack
March 9th, 2001, 11:30 PM
oh yeah, mg fire starters are a good way to go. i have a block myself. good for any needed firestarting or high intensity flame. you can usually get them at camping stores. don't think there sale is restricted cause it is hard to grind into usable sizes.

------------------
...Æ

SMAG 12B/E5
March 10th, 2001, 12:37 AM
For a cheap source of magnesium check out the machine shops, scrap yards and the plumbing suppliers. Many machine shops don't like to machine Mg because of it's ignitable characteristics. Machine swarf will often come off as a long curled chip or fine chips, depending on the cut. All forms are useful. This is also an excellent source of aluminum, sometimes free.
Scrap yards often have huge quantities of many alloys, including magnesium, aluminum and magnalloy (Mg/Al mixture). Aircraft scrap will often contain a large proportion of Mg parts. The yards sometimes have barrels of machine chips from local shops.
Plumbing shops will often sell replacment Mg anode bars for water heaters. These bars reduce the corrosion in water heaters. These bars can be turned on a lathe, carefully keeping the heat down or may be "planed" with a sharp single cut hand file broken with the cut.
Be sure to have a good acceptable "cover story" for your purchase and check more than one source for prices.

Mystery
March 10th, 2001, 09:27 AM
Thanks guys

SofaKing
March 11th, 2001, 03:11 PM
I have seen 100ft rolls on sale at ebay (http://www.ebay.com) for reasonable prices. Other chemicals are also on sale from time to time.

------------------
"ARE YOUR PAPERS IN ORDER" -- Jack Booted Thug

Jhonbus
March 12th, 2001, 06:29 PM
Wow, good idea! I woulda never thought of that, although I've bought loads of stuff on ebay. Nice one, thanks!

Anthony
March 13th, 2001, 03:08 PM
They're all plastic nowadays.

blackadder
March 13th, 2001, 04:16 PM
It would be hard to dig all the way down to the pipes, they are rather deep down, that would take ages.

You also run risk of puncturing the pipes or getting caught.

nbk2000
March 13th, 2001, 10:49 PM
Mg reacts with alkyl halides like benzyl bromide or methyl iodide to form what's known as a Grignard reagent. These are used in clandestine chemistry for reductions and other reactions useful for making drugs.

When you file or turn off cuttings from magnesium, you need to immediately treat the pieces with an alcohol solution of shellac to prevent oxidation of the Mg particles.

------------------
"The knowledge that they fear is a weapon to be used against them"

Go here (http://members.nbci.com/angelo_444/dload.html) to download the NBK2000 website PDF.

greenbeanie
March 25th, 2001, 12:51 AM
Firequest sells Magnesium Ribbon. 4 oz bag for $29.99

greenbeanie
March 25th, 2001, 12:01 PM
Firequest reduced it to $19.99 for a large 4oz bag. Their website is www.firequest.com/ (http://www.firequest.com/)

A-BOMB
June 1st, 2001, 07:00 PM
If you can find a old hu-34 helocoper they were made by "sycorskey" (spelled wrong) there internal structure is made of it along with it's skin, and they shouldn't be too hard to find at a time the US Maries opperated 961 of them and 13,532 were made from 1949 to 1967. So if you live near a aircraft junkyard. he he he he he free MG

------------------
live by the bomb
die by the bomb

ftsman
June 2nd, 2001, 12:25 AM
strait up i got my Mg @ school. in lab i asked the teach if i could get/ pass out the Mg. then i simple took 10ft of it and put it in my pocket.easy as pie(mmmmmm pie)

SafetyLast
July 14th, 2001, 06:14 PM
Hmmm might be hard finding an old sikorsky helicopter body.
I got my ribbon the same way ftsman got his, but I got about a 30 ft. roll of it
(snuck into the supply room http://theforum.virtualave.net/ubb/smilies/smile.gif)

Zach
July 15th, 2001, 01:32 AM
I know that old(er) VW Beetles have a Mg engine block... I'm willing to bet you could find one of those someplace

------------------

Z

deezs
July 15th, 2001, 02:04 PM
I can not belive, that you can find pure Mg. It must be an alloy. Nowadays you can't find any pure metals around you. Alloys are better to use. - Not good for home-chemists.
If the alloy, you have, contains Mg and Al, you can't notice the difference.
If you are interested in it, I can tell you a few analitycal reactions to find the other metals in your alloy. My first hobby is qualitative analytical chemistry. Explosives are just the second.

PHILOU Zrealone
July 23rd, 2001, 09:30 AM
Often an alloy of Al and Mg! Both burn quit wel the second fearcely but who cares it works wel.

------------------
"Life that deadly disease sexually transmitted".
"Chemistry is all what stinks and explode; Physic is all what never works! ;-p :-) :o)"

Pyro Essentials
July 23rd, 2001, 03:41 PM
www.hi-vel.com (http://www.hi-vel.com) sells mg. strips, I bought some and it is fine. They also sell thermite, mg powder, and mercury.

Fingerless
August 26th, 2001, 11:53 PM
I have about a 3 pound chunk of solid magnesium. Its the riser of an old compound bow. Haven't used it yet.

EventHorizon
August 27th, 2001, 10:52 AM
HAHAHAH, same here man, it was an old recurve bow w/ fiberglass limbs. IIRC the sp. gr. of a chunk of it determined pure Mg.

Ezikiel
August 27th, 2001, 09:22 PM
Even old cell phones (inside the plastic cases) have a Mg shielding between the battery and the circuitry. I don't know about a decent source of old cell phones but ... if u get one .... it has Mg in it.

------------------
"Chance favours the prepared mind"

nbk2000
May 12th, 2004, 09:27 PM
This months Popular Mechanics, June 2004, has an illustration on page 116 that shows how to identify aluminum and magnesium anode rods.

Aluminum rods have a smooth head, while the magnesium rods have a welded bead.

a_bab
May 13th, 2004, 09:29 AM
The easiest way to make the distinction between Al and Mg is with vinegar. Mg fizzles with vinegar (it's actually easily attacked, just like the reaction between Zn and HCl), while Al doesn't.

tmp
May 13th, 2004, 03:40 PM
Go to: http://www.magnesiumsales.com
This company sells magnesium block and the price is more reasonable than
ribbon or powder. I'm sure that the ribbon shows up on eBay now and then
like alot of chemicals/elements do. But the price varies from seller to seller.
There are other suppliers but I prefer the block because of its low price and
it's not difficult to grind it into powder. As always, have fun ! :D

shadow2501
May 13th, 2004, 06:58 PM
looks like too much people on this forum tried at magnesiumsales at the same time, the site is temporarly down :D guess we'll have to try another time :rolleyes:

blindreeper
May 14th, 2004, 03:30 AM
To answer the original question, yes I do and here is proof :)

http://img4.photobucket.com/albums/v29/blindreeper/magnesium_ribbon.jpg

75ft roll cost $30 AU including shipping, it's out there you just have to look :P

K9
May 14th, 2004, 10:09 AM
I have good experience with the website magnesiumsales. The owner is quite a nice guy and of course the prices are quite nice. If you want to compare, hust work out how much it will cost to a get a pound of magnesium from a firestarter as compared to a pound from there. But then again, this only helps people who live in the US and Canada. But for those that do, this is a good place to get magnesium in ingots.

tmp
May 16th, 2004, 02:04 AM
K9, I got my magnesium from www.magnesiumsales.com :D
I bought a large quantity so I'll have plenty of Mg to play around with for
quite some time. I'm curious, how long did it take for you to get it there in
Canada ? That place is probaby 3000 miles from me and my order arrived in
3 DAYS ! The advertising on the website is right to the point. Why pay so
much for ribbon or firestarters when the same amount of money will get you
a nice big block ? How do you grind yours ? I use a benchgrinder and ball
mill back-to-back. I just have to take more care than I do with aluminum.
My homemade aluminum powder will ignite with a butane lighter on the very
fine grades. I've noticed that even coarse Mg will burn easily.

blindreeper
May 16th, 2004, 02:14 AM
Why not make some magnalium with the big Mg ingots you guys have? Then you could crush it in a ball mill!

K9
May 16th, 2004, 02:48 AM
I don't remember exactly how long but it was a fairly short amount of time. I've used various methods from a file (yes I know, it goes that slow) to bench grinders. Ball milling afterwards, like you said, will usually fix it up quite nicely. And even the coarser Mg, again like you said, will ignite easily and work well in a variety of compositions. As far as MgAl goes, using large ingots proves to be a very cost efficient method of production.