View Full Version : AP with CrO3?

Cyclonite
October 8th, 2003, 07:58 AM
Im not really proficient in chemistry but I was thinking that acetone and CrO3 might turn out something of interest. Also I will try and use CrO3 as a catalyst. Ill let you know of the results. Am I way off base on this?

When I did some searching the only compound I came up with was Triamine Chrome Tetroxide, There is a lack of information on this explosive

"Materials: CrO3, H2O2, NH4OH
Procedure: Prepare a 10% aqueous solution of ammonia (25ml) and a 50% aqueous solution of CrO3 (5ml). Mix these solutions and cool to 0°C. Add 5ml of 30% H2O2 drop by drop. Let the mixture stand in the ice bath for an hour. Crystals of ammonium dichromate will appear. Heat the mixture to 50°C, maintain the temperature until the evolution of gases had stopped and the salt had fully dissolved. Upon cooling, triamine chrome tetroxide will crystallize. Filter out the crystals, squeeze off the excess liquid and wash with ether. Dry over KOH in a desiccator. Yield approx. 0.3g. Partially decomposes in water. Explodes on strong heating (approx. at 170°C). Edit/Note: Maybe this is nonsensical/wrong/dangerous, any comments welcome!"
Lagen

Sarevok
October 9th, 2003, 12:43 AM
Perhaps you can use CrO3 as an oxidizer instead of H2O2 to make AP. But I don't think only CrO3 and acetone will yield something.

This triamine chrome tetroxide synthesis sounds reasonable, but who knows? At first, do it on a small-scale to avoid risks.

Please, where did you found this information? I never heard of this explosive before. Sounds good!

vulture
October 9th, 2003, 06:21 AM
DON'T EVER MIX CrO3 with something remotely flammable!
It's a very potent oxidizer which is hypergolic with almost everything!

CrO3, just like PbO2, is NOT a peroxide, contrary to popular belief.
Peroxides have the -O-O- bond, Cr 6+ can bind 3 oxygen atoms without the need for a peroxy bond!

me234
October 9th, 2003, 12:12 PM
I would have to agree with vulture here, CrO3 is well documented in relation to accidental fires and explosions, in one case a fire was started because someone left a funnel that had been used with some oil or another on top of a drum of CrO3. Some chemists I know were recently doing thermite reactions with the stuff, it is nasty shit, anything flammable or reducable would most likely react, especially liquids or anything that is likely to begin decomposing by itself.