View Full Version : solubility problem

grandyOse
October 14th, 2003, 03:03 PM
If I do a search on "solubility" it would turn up millions of pages to wade through in search of my answer. If I knew the correct terminology, then I could do an effective search.

If I have a mixture of solids, A & B; where A has a very high solubility in say, water, while B has a much lower solubility, then I dump the solids in enough water to disolve A completely, then what is the composition of my saturated solution?

What if the solids had solubilities within the same order of magnitude; say 5g/l and 3g/l ?

I'm posting in the water cooler and don't expect to be spoon fed, but if anyone could give me the terminology for such a calculation, then I could look it up myself.

thanks.

T_Pyro
October 14th, 2003, 11:46 PM
Your "A" and "B" can be just about anything under the sun- organic, inorganic, ionic, covalent, covalent polar.... et al. Which one are you talking about here? Even if they're both of the same type, say, ionic, there are more factors that govern their solubility rogether in the same solvent... Do they have a common ion? Does one hydrolyse? Can they react with each other?
You see, your question is just too vague to have a definite answer.
Read up on solubilty of salts in all kinds of solvents: polar, and non-polar. Read up on ionic equilibria. After doing that, do the math, and you'll be able to answer your own question. There are lots of people well-versed in the subject here, and they didn't gain their knowledge without "wade through in search" of the answer.