View Full Version : APAN failure!

homer johnston
September 29th, 2002, 05:59 PM
I made a large batch of AP, about 1 ounce worth of crystals. I let it sit for about 2hrs, it was still kinda moist though when i packed it in a PVC pipe. I mixed the AP with AN which i got from those instant freeze pack that are used for injuries, and grinded those AN pellets in a coffe grinder to get a powder. SO all that was in the pipe, and I lit the fuse, but there was no detonation. i examined the pipe later and it turned out that when i put the fuse in, the tape i used to hold it in place stoped the fuse from burning. so I am gonna try this test again soon. Another thing, I am having a hard time finding KNO3. I live near San Francisco, California, in the US. Does anyone know any stores where i can get 13-0-45 KNO3? Thanks.

<small>[ September 29, 2002, 05:10 PM: Message edited by: homer johnston ]</small>

Eliteforum
September 29th, 2002, 06:04 PM
Oh dear, oh dear oh dear...

homer johnston
September 29th, 2002, 06:10 PM
it wasnt that bad actually. I made a lot of AP though. and when i took a small pinch of the APAN mixture, i put it in a napkin, and lit it on fire. i ran a safe distance, and it made a loud pop. It was like a chinese fire cracker, it wasnt that loud, but considering it was a small pinch I guess its pretty powerfull.

MrSamosa
September 29th, 2002, 06:57 PM
Dude- I don't know shit about explosives (since I have not devoted much of my interest to them), but I can see one obvious thing you did wrong...besides making a dumbass topic as a newbie (read Rules!!!): fuses don't detonate high explosives. High explosives require a powerful shockwave, delivered by a blasting cap, in order to detonate; particularly one as insensitive as AN. The "pop" you describe was most likely just the AP deflagrating upon contact with the flame, not the AN. You can find more info about blasting caps by a simple search; which you will have plenty of time to do once NBK stumbles upon this atrocity.

And also, what nerve you have to ask where to get KNO3!!! Under normal conditions, I suppose that is a legitimate question. But honestly, this has been discussed to death; it has to be in 1,000 different threads by now. Using the "Search" button is perhaps the #1 rule on the Explosives & Weapons Forum, which you clearly violated.

<small>[ September 29, 2002, 06:02 PM: Message edited by: MrSamosa ]</small>

Al Nobel
September 29th, 2002, 07:48 PM
Bye bye Homer

carbonated
September 29th, 2002, 09:04 PM
If the AP is high is of a high enough concentration the APAN will detoante from a fuse, but I'd use a cap just to be sure.

And seriously, do people wait weeks and then not read the rules the whole time? Then they come here and post stupid stuff. This doesn't even have anything to do with APAN not working, just your fuse not working.

Anthony
September 29th, 2002, 10:33 PM
Yes, you'd be amazed but they keep doing it!

I am not pleased! I've just moved house and my computer "desk" is a piece of wood proped on top of my UPS batteries, which I am crouched over and getting back-ache. I'm sat on the edge of my bed, which incidentally is on the floor because I can't be bothered to reassemble it now. It's nearly 3am and I promised myself that I'd finish reading all the new posts on the forum before I could jack off and go to sleep.

I'm nearly done and then this shit. Which I have to stop and deal with. Write this reply, close the topic, set the system in motion of banning your sorry arse. All the time the clock ticking away and I have to get up early tomorrow!

So you get no sympathy from me! Yes, I am taking this out on you, no that isn't fair, but that's life so deal with it, or suck some dick, whatever you prefer to do.

You have the weakest hole, goodbye!