View Full Version : TAG and Potassium Nitrate

Nehebkhau
October 15th, 2003, 10:26 PM
I'm looking to get into HNO3 synthesis using the whole condensation method and so I'm lookin to buy potassium nitrate to use as my nitrate source. I went on skylighter.com and they have the stuff with .05% TAG for $4.32 a lb, and they have the kind that's chunky for $2.71 a lb. Just wondering whether or not i need the TAG in it to make things easier and exactly what is TAG by the way? Will it inhibit any basic chemical reactions. I've read somewhere on the forum about skylighter putting people on "the list" so if there's a safer place to get this stuff I'd appreciate the info. Also let me throw another question in here about HNO3 while I'm at it, I've read the HNO3 the Easy Way forum 2 times and maybe I'm just blind but could someone please tell me exactly how much KNO3 i should use with the H2S04? I know i should be able to figure this out by looking at the equation for the chemical reaction but i'm just not getting it. thx

grandyOse
October 16th, 2003, 12:16 AM
Yo, man, chill. newbies like us aren't supposed to be asking obvious (to most of the members here) questions. Especially in a new topic. write the ballanced equations and look up the molecular weights of the reactants. Use proportionate amounts, by weight, of these reactants. figure in the concentration of your acid and salt. Most people are using an excess of nitrate. As the reaction proceeds, I adjust my mixture; if I add a little acid, and don't see much happening (usual), I add some nitrate and see red fumes. Once things calm down again, I add a little more nitrate, etc. I''m getting good results, this way, just proceed slowly and watch the temp of the vapor in the reaction vessel (sp).

I am paranoid to point of being committed, so I don't order anything even slightly suspicious on the net. USP saltpeter is available in most pharmacies, on the shelf. Fertilizer grade potassium and sodium nitrates are much cheaper, and good enough quality for HNO3. Farm & Home supply stores are a GREAT source of chemicals.

DBSP
October 16th, 2003, 06:42 AM
Nehebkhau, you are right, newbies shouldn't post stupid questins but his is the water cooler and the water cooler serves the purpose of letting newbies asking stupid questions without getting banned.

I don't know what TAG is but it might be some anti clumping agent, I've seen it added to KNO3 on several occations. That "shouldn't" affect the reaction but as I don't really knoiw what TAG is, dont'y take my word for it.

There are better sources of KNO3, search the forum and you'll find them.

Anthony
October 16th, 2003, 02:19 PM
Triacylglycerol?

BTW, as watercooler threads go, this isn't a bad one, so no need to get worried :)