View Full Version : Forum FTP (obsolete)

chemwarrior
October 17th, 2003, 11:01 AM
IP: forumftp.serveftp.org

The Forum FTP is a service run, originaly, by Ctrl_C, and now myself (The FTP is in no way officially affiliated with Roguesci or Roguesci's members.). It is a large collection of files related to everything explosives, combat, improvised weapons, drugs, and general chemistry. It has also recently expanded to include software both chemistry related and not, movies, a PGP key database for members, as well as free image hosting so long as the images are for Roguesci.

If you would like an account, go here (http://www.roguesci.org/forms/ctrlcftpapp.html) and I will contact you within 2 weeks with either an account or a rejection notice. If you do not receive either in 2 weeks, complete the form again and email me at chemwarrior136@ziplip.com with "process account" in the subject line.

If you would like to upload movies, follow these guidelines: they should be under 1GB (for a normal length movie. Ex: Dune was a two disc set so I ripped it to 3 files), frame rate not below 24fps, and they MUST be of similar overall quality to the ones on there already, meaning very little or no pixelation, encoding artifacts, interlacing artifacts etc. Waste space and bandwidth with crap, and Ill block your IP. The movies directory will be set up seperately once I have some people interested in it. It will not be visible by normal members, only those who ask for access to it.

NOTE- Hosted images are not available as of yet... Im having some problems setting up permissions for it.

Oops, forgot to mention that the upload account is-
Login- upload
Password- upload

A-BOMB
October 17th, 2003, 11:40 AM
Chemwarrior, are the old permissions up? So members that had access before can access it or does every one to resubmit for access?

chemwarrior
October 17th, 2003, 02:01 PM
The old permissions wouldnt work. I would have had to go through and manualy changed every all the permissions, home directory, sub directories, etc, and with as many members as there were on there, that would have taken me several hours to do. So intstead I decided to just go ahead and have aeveryone re-apply. So far Ive been good about setting up accounts for people, usually doesnt take me but a few min after I get the e-mail. And at worst, it would take me an hour or two to get the e-mail right now...

However, if this becomes a problem, Ill try to use the past accounts... but Ive been sick the last few days, so Im amazed Ive managed to do this much.

megalomania
October 17th, 2003, 02:03 PM
I have changed the form to send the applications to your email address. Let me know if my application went through...

Oh, I also noticed through the upload account that there arn't as many files as ctrl_c had, any word on when/if you will be getting all the old files?

blindreeper
October 17th, 2003, 09:45 PM
I apologise to brainfever if he doesn't want me to say this but I think it is very important as far as getting the old files back is concerned. He sent me a notepad document which had his list + sizes of all the files he had got from the old FTP.
He said that he had gotten almost all of the stuff from the old FTP (over 5gig)

So this means if he is willing to help he which I'm sure he is, there should be someway to get all the files onto the new FTP

My 2cents

EDIT: I am having trouble logging in. I got in this morning after trying my password many times and now I come back and it says the pasword is worng?
Anyone having this problem? I am using IE with dial up if thats a problem...

Lil_Guppy
October 18th, 2003, 12:52 AM
Just a quick question. Are you planning on providing a global account that gives permissions to upload or download to the PGP Keys directory, so that all members can retrieve/submit PGP keys regardless of whether or not they have full access?

BrAiNFeVeR
October 18th, 2003, 11:03 AM
I am willing to help, but due to bandwith limitations I cannot upload the entire 5 GB within a descent time-frame.

I'll do my very best to help with the rare files tho, in meanwhile I imagine the ftp is filling up fast enough ...

A link to the file-list is added in my application.

Sparky
October 18th, 2003, 12:43 PM
I have two questions / comments:

I couldn't find out what my member number is to put in the form. Maybe it's me, or maybe we aren't supposed to be able to find it any more?

What prevents someone from impersonating a(nother) member and getting an account using their good posts/name etc? Maybe it's best not to say if you do have something set up to prevent this ;) . But if not then I just wanted to point out it would be all too easy.

BTW, thanks for the account :) .

Anthony
October 18th, 2003, 01:24 PM
You are No. 842.

Open your profile and the URL ends with "userid=842".

chemwarrior
October 18th, 2003, 02:24 PM
As for global accounts, maybe. Like I said, Im having trouble with permissions for the hosted images, so until I can correct that, Im not going to be making any global accounts for anything.

Also, blindreeper, Im not sure what your problem is.. Its more likely than not the fact that you are using IE, which is horrible program to use for FTPs... I suggest going to www.bpftp.com and downloading their trial version of their FTP client. Its extremely good, very easy to use, and there are none of the glitches like when just using IE.

On another note, the FTP is FAR over 5 gigs... its just under 20gigs now, not including the fact that about 3 gigs have been uploaded in the last 48 hours.

As for member impersonating another... if I find that that happens, Ill ask Mega if there is a way that the user must be logged on here before they can access the FTP form. Another idea would be, if that is implemented, to automatically use that users e-mail address, rather than giving them the opportunity to place in their own e-mail address. Same thing could be done with member number, which I could cross check on here to make sure that there wasnt anything 'fishy' going on.

buzzy
October 18th, 2003, 04:29 PM
Thanks Chemwarrior to have made this new space ftp available.

blindreeper
October 18th, 2003, 11:48 PM
I am having lots of trouble trying to log into the FTP. I can't do it with Internet Explorer because it says cannot log in with the username and password provided
I tried "FreeFTP" couldn't connect with that one
I tried WS_FTP pro couldn't connect with that one
The last one I have tried is CuteFTP and I got this:

STATUS:> Connecting to ftp.forumftp.serveftp.org (ip = 69.47.50.251)
220 Serv-U FTP Server v4.1 for WinSock ready...
COMMAND:> USER blindreeper
331 User name okay, need password.
COMMAND:> PASS ********
530 Not logged in.
ERROR:> Can't log in. Still trying...
ERROR:> Can't log in. Disconnecting...

Is there anyway to delete my account and create another one because I think there may have been some sort of error that happend.
Can someone please help me! I got in to the FTP only once using IE and I have no idea how and there is so much stuff in there and I can't access it :mad:

EDIT: I can get in with the Upload account which makes me think even more it's something to do with my account...

peterthesmart
October 18th, 2003, 11:57 PM
It's probably something with your account, I've been uploading files for the past 2 days, no problems at all. I'm using Cute FTP after encountering some problems with WS_FTP.

Lil_Guppy
October 19th, 2003, 12:17 AM
Chemwarrior
For the picture hosting, couldnt you set up a user account with the name/pass as 'img' (or whatever you want), have it restricted to the directory you have set aside for the picture hosting, and only have read permissions. Then, when someone uploads a picture, they can post it here by using img src="ftp://img:img@blah.blah.com:[port]/[image name]". Its easily set up in Serv-U, but Im not sure how you want it set up.

chemwarrior
October 19th, 2003, 01:35 AM
@ Guppy

Its not that.. the permissions to do that get screwed up... Ive tried it already. When I set things up, it either allows nothing to be accessed, or it lets everything accessed... and that includes things outside of the home directory, and thats a safety hazard for my computer. Till I figure out what its doing, Im not going to be able to host images. Once I figure it out though, I WILL be image hosting.

@ Blindreeper

Ive made you a new account. Check your mail.

Lil_Guppy
October 19th, 2003, 01:43 AM
Hmmmmmz... I downloaded Serv-U to have a look at at (and see if I could be of assistance), and it set up no problem at all. Im not saying that its going to work in your case (may have different settings etc) but heres what I did to get it to work:

Created a new user called 'pictures'
Set the password as 'pictures'
Set the home directory to a folder on my HDD with pictures in it
Locked the user in the home directory

And that was it. I also made sure that the permissions were set at Read only for files and List for directory. When I tested it out with my FTP client, it listed all the files in the directory as it should, and also locked it in the pictures folder (and its subdirs) so that the user couldnt drop out of the pictures directory and into its parent folder.

chemwarrior
October 19th, 2003, 01:54 AM
I know about that... I did say thats what I did... There is just some problem thats not allowing it to work... Ehh, shouldnt be too hard to figure it out... At least the FTP itself it up and running finnaly.

Lil_Guppy
October 19th, 2003, 02:03 AM
Well it should work then, unless some other settings are a bit screwy. What settings are you using (if you dont mind saying that is)

chemwarrior
October 19th, 2003, 02:05 AM
Thats not something thats going to be said on the web where anyone can read it... too much of a security hazard. Ill just say almost all the settings are the basic ones.

blindreeper
October 19th, 2003, 02:07 AM
Thanks chemwarrior works beatifully!

Lil_Guppy
October 19th, 2003, 02:08 AM
Indeed. If you need some help troubleshooting, you can email me at the address attached to my PGP key, if not then its ok. I'm sure you will get everything sorted out :)

Celtick
October 19th, 2003, 07:50 AM
Chemwarrior, I probably got the same problem as Blindreeper even with CuteFTP, maybe its just the account.

STATUS:> Host name forumftp.serveftp.org resolved: ip = 69.47.50.251.
STATUS:> Connecting to ftp server forumftp.serveftp.org:21 (ip = 69.47.50.251)...
220 Serv-U FTP Server v4.1 for WinSock ready...
COMMAND:> USER Celtick
331 User name okay, need password.
COMMAND:> PASS *****
530 Not logged in.
ERROR:> Not logged in.

chemwarrior
October 19th, 2003, 01:05 PM
Has anyone had problems opening downloaded files?? One member is having considerable difficulty, and Im curious as to whether anyone else is as well...

Nevermore
October 19th, 2003, 01:11 PM
pleae try not to post IP on the forum.
i definitely think that serv-u is not the right choice when having to deal with many users...
it will be hard to manage and not stable at all =)

Rhadon
October 19th, 2003, 01:51 PM
Posting chemwarrior's IP is okay since anyone could find it out by pinging forumftp.serveftp.org anyway...

chemwarrior
October 19th, 2003, 03:19 PM
Umm, Serv-U is what Ctrl_C originaly used... and as of yet, we havent reached the number of users that he had on there, so I honestly dont fear it crashing. It is a very stable program, and its not like every single member on here will be given access to it, considering the fact that only about .1 percent actually contribute...

Also, it wouldnt matter if anyone got my IP... My IP is dynamic, and if I felt that there was a security threat, all I would have to do is disable the program Im using to forward everything to my IP. Without that, then there is no way to be sure your accessing my computer or not.

Currently, just for the sake of posting it, it is- 69.47.50.251

And on a side note, dialing that would do the same thing as dialing forumftp.serveftp.org... it is exactly the same thing, well, unless my IP changes, in which case it will forward you to whatever it happens to be.

Lil_Guppy
October 19th, 2003, 11:53 PM
Originally posted by Nevermore
i definitely think that serv-u is not the right choice when having to deal with many users...
it will be hard to manage and not stable at all =)
When I used to manage a large FTP server last year, I used Serv-U and had no problem with stability or with getting it set up. I actually found it easier than some of the other 'bigger' names...

IDTB
October 20th, 2003, 02:21 AM
I also ran a Serv-U ftp. It went pretty smoothly. I remember I had one problem, but I can remember it at this point.

Warning:
Some ISP's tend to look at what exactly you are transferring if your bandwidth usage starts going off the charts.
Kazaa transfers are .dat with a jibberishly numbered caption, but I believe FTP's are different.
It's late, er, early here. If it doesn't make sense tell me and I'll polish it up. :)

peterthesmart
October 20th, 2003, 05:38 PM
I'm just wondering if anyone's having problems uploading or resuming files.. I'm trying to upload a 500 mb one and it won't resume anymore. I'm hoping it wont happen when I'm uploading some of my 1 or 2 gig files. Here's the errror I get:

COMMAND:> REST 404193280
350 Restarting at 404193280. Send STORE or RETRIEVE.
COMMAND:> APPE 3d Studio Max 5.exe
550 Permission denied.
ERROR:> Requested action not taken (e.g., file or directory not found, no access).

I've been able to resume the file before, but now it doesn't seem to work anymore.

Spudkilla
October 20th, 2003, 07:46 PM
It's already on the FTP anyways. I suggest looking before you upload something. I had no problem uploading some software to the FTP.

I wish somebody would provide a 100mbs connection for the FTP. That would be real nice. Anyone?

chemwarrior
October 20th, 2003, 08:05 PM
Hahaha.

Arent you happy that Im able to run an FTP at all?

Yay, my 300th post:)

Edit- Does anyone have any rippied copies of 2Fast 2Furious? Fast and the Furious? Gone in 60 Seconds? Any movies like that would be appreciated.

Ooh, forgot to mention- Transporter.

For now, just place them in the uploads folder. When the file is complete, create a notepad file saying that it is done, and Ill move it to the movies directory Ill make shortly.

blindreeper
October 21st, 2003, 03:11 AM
I uploaded some PDF's and a movie (CIA BP burning) to the general chemistry section of the upload folder. Now how do I get it to the section of the FTP so everyone can dowload them? Sorry if this is basic but a lot of this is new to me!

0EZ0
October 21st, 2003, 04:59 AM
It's rather simple. You just have to wait for chemwarrior to place the files into the proper folders or the 'Recent' folder for you. I think at one time on Ctrl_c's FTP we had one or two respected members with special rights to perform maintenance including shifting files into their rightful place.

Maybe that same approach could be taken to lighten the workload with your FTP, chemwarrior?

chemwarrior
October 21st, 2003, 05:03 PM
Ive already thought about it, and am considering giving full access to the mods and admin, and perhaps some senior members.

chemwarrior
October 21st, 2003, 06:17 PM
Sorry for the extra post... wont let me edit for some reason..

Anyways, whoever uploaded Office 03, please redo so... the file is corrupted. Ive tried changing the endings and such, but with no luck. Please re-upload it...

peterthesmart
October 21st, 2003, 06:29 PM
I'll try reuploading the files later, all of the larger files that I've tried uploading won't resume anymore. I'm probably going to have to upload them in 15mb parts. The following files won't work because they're partial: 3DSMax 5, and Encarta 2004. I'm not sure yet what the problem is, but adjusting the file size should reduce the problems.

chemwarrior
October 21st, 2003, 09:59 PM
Well, dont try anything yet... maybe its a setting Serv-U... I was trying out a few things the other day, and I may have forgot to change a setting back or something.

Spudkilla
October 22nd, 2003, 06:02 PM
Arent you happy that Im able to run an FTP at all?

Very happy actually. The speed is perfectly fine, and I have no complaints. The 100mbps thing is just a fantasy of mine.

chemwarrior
October 22nd, 2003, 08:59 PM
Well if I wanted to patch my cable into the communications line my dad has going to his work (so he can work from home on some days) he gets roughly 200mps... quite nice really:) Honestly, I think if I try patching into that though, my ass is going to prision... lol.

chemwarrior
October 23rd, 2003, 10:57 PM
A_Bab, please create a new e-mail address or show me somewhere I can up a PGP message to you. Yahoo appears to be down, considering Ive sent you two messages now and had both bounced back....

A-BOMB
October 24th, 2003, 06:30 PM
Chemwarrior, or anybody for that matter could you please tell me if there is something wrong with all of the Poor Mans James Bonds files (1-5) I just finished downloading all the parts and used hjsplit from the wares section to combine them back together, then when I went to open them, I only got error, example "this file does not start with %pdf and will not open", "this file had a error that could not be repaired", "this file is not a .pdf" etc etc etc. Could someone download some of these files and tell me in you get errors or it just me.

Nevermore
October 24th, 2003, 07:14 PM
yeah , i found lotsa of errors too, the priapo serie is mainly damaged..
but most of the files are impossible to download, or impossible to open since damaged..
i suggest giving the right of deleting to some mods so they can free some space from the damaged files..
:D

0EZ0
October 24th, 2003, 09:43 PM
I had the same problem with a few downloaded PDF's. It turned out that my version of Acrobat would not support opening certain 'newer' files. Downloading the latest version of Acrobat reader solved the problem. You could try that, but maybe the files you mentioned are actually corrupt and damaged.

A-BOMB
October 24th, 2003, 09:56 PM
I have acrobat 5 (not reader) I think that would be new enough to ready the files one the FTP but I many be wrong so I go get a version of 6

chemwarrior
October 25th, 2003, 01:01 AM
Ive tested those files... they seem to be fine on my end... if they are corrupt however, I may ask members to post lists of all the files they can upload, and remove those files from the FTP and let them be re-uploaded... I did have a HDD crash about a month and a half ago, before I got my new HDD, so there may be some files that are screwed up, but I randomly tested about 200 files, of which only 1 didnt work.

Also, whoever uploaded Norton Anti-Virus 2004, you DO realize that you uploaded a pointless program, right? When I attempted to install it, it tells me- This program has already been activated the maximum number of times. Therefore, I am unable to get the key that is needed to activate it. So if you have it, please post the key here for everyones use, as it is needed.

Another thing, doesnt anyone have any of those movies I listed above? Or what about ones like Scarface, or those sort? Honestly, as long as its not an overly lame movie, I dont mind if you upload it. I have the space and the bandwidth. If people start upping movies, Ill go ahead and create a movies directory, but Im not going to unless there are people interested in sharing movies...

xyz
October 25th, 2003, 01:55 AM
Chemwarrior, Could you please delete the copy of L0phtcrack v4.0 that I uploaded, I was disconnected when the file was about 80% done and for some reason the corrupt file is still in the uploads folder.

I will try uploading it again once the corrupt one has been deleted.

blindreeper
October 25th, 2003, 06:03 AM
I am having trouble accessing the various folders on the FTP. Just today its been happening. It just won't connect to the warez folder and the general chemistry texts. Then sometimes it does work.

But the main thing that is pissing me off is that I have a 500k modem and the trasfers are going at 3.5kb/sec and they "Timeout" after I start downlaoding them everytime.

Anyone got any ideas on what is happening? BTW I am using the CuteFTP pro downlaoded from the FTP.
I think I'll try another FTP program...

xyz
October 25th, 2003, 07:46 AM
I have also been having problems with the FTP today and I am also using CuteFTP Pro, although I got mine from KaZaA so I am not sure if it is the same version. It was working fine yesterday though.

Basically, what keeps happening is that when you go to download something it is awfully slow (0.2Kbps) and it will only download for about 10 seconds then stop and wait a while before downloading for another 10 seconds.

blindreeper
October 25th, 2003, 08:00 AM
Yes exactly I am having the same problem!
Chemwarrior do you have any idea whats going on?

EDIT: Ok now I can't even get in anymore! Even with CuteFTPpro and BulletproofFTP

EDIT2: Works fine now, currently downlaoding chemoffice ultra

chemwarrior
October 25th, 2003, 02:17 PM
Sorry about last night everyone, my internet was being 'odd'... I wasnt even getting a 100th the connect speed Im supposed to get... everything is up and running now, well, that is, as far as I can tell.

IDTB
October 25th, 2003, 10:01 PM
I'd like to run an FTP server. Mostly for image and movie hosting.

1. I have a static IP running cable broadband.
2. I have expierence running FTP servers.
3. I have alot of time on my hands.

If chemwarrior wants to lessen his load I can be the designated movies/image FTP. I'd love to help out the forum anyway I can. :)

Lil_Guppy
October 25th, 2003, 10:51 PM
IDTB
Download Serv-U (or your preferred FTP server) and give it a whirl then :) Even if chemwarrior has those functions, I'm sure he would appreciate any kind of help that reduces the loads. I actually think it would be good to have a dedicated image/movie host. One FTP for all the good info etc, and another for images etc.

xyz
October 25th, 2003, 10:58 PM
Chemwarrior, Please delete the file "L0phtcrack v4 with keygen" that is in the "Other" section of the uploads folder.

It is corrupt as I was disconnected when the file was about 80% finished uploading but the file is still there for some reason. Once it has been deleted I will re upload it.

chemwarrior
October 26th, 2003, 12:53 AM
Sorry bout that xyz.... I couldnt fid the file earlier when I looked.. . now that I know where it is, Ill delete it right away.

Also, honestly, I dont reall need any help with the FTP... I have no bandwidth limitations, and my HDD is large enough for probably 60 movies, as well as doubling the 'good info' size of it. And actually, I was planning on setting up the movie account tonight, lol. Should be set up in a few hours, Ill let everyone know when it is. Ill be doing that in the same format that I do the regular part of the FTP, meaning, that anyone can upload, but your going to need access to it. If anyone wants access to it, go ahead and give me an e-mail and Ill set it up for you.

chemwarrior
October 26th, 2003, 12:58 AM
Movies Account-

Upload-
LOGIN- movieupload
PASSWORD- upload

For access to the movies, you will need access to the regular part of the FTP. For access to the movies, simply drop me a line and Ill add that directory to your list.

IDTB
October 26th, 2003, 01:06 AM
If you ever would like to have someone to help host stuff message me.

xyz
October 26th, 2003, 01:53 AM
Could I have access to the movies please?

DBSP
October 26th, 2003, 06:46 AM
I'd liek to know what you all would like me to uppload:

I've got a few hundred videos of high powered rocketry. And more than 1000 pics of the same.

I've already upploaded most of my own videos, I'll be upploading as many of my pics as I can as well allthough it will take some time getting them sorted, I've gotmore than 7000 pics on my HD and it's not vey easy to keep track of them all.

I've got a buch of videos of NATO bombnings in kosovo, more than 50 if IIRC. They are all thermal image.

And since I've had access to the old FTP I've got more or less all PDFs of any interest on my HD as well. l Don't know If I should uppload them all or not. I haven't renamed any of them so perhaps I should just uppload them all and then let you delete the duplicate ones, Reply to this one is appreciated.

I've allso gathered a large ammount of PDFs regarding SCs and EFPs during my latest search frenzie. These will allso be upploaded ASAP.

And I wonder if anyone would mind me upploading my entire collection of pics I've pulled off the web and from links posted here on the forum. I've got no possibilities of giving all the original "owners" of the pics any credit for them as I have collected them during 3 years. Reply to this one would allso be appreciated.

The same goes for the videos I have collected during the past years, something like 300-400 vids.

And I wonder if you could make me a new uppload dir to where I can put my stuff to make things easier for both parties. If you'd like any greater ammount of things upploaded. If thats the case then I can relocate my computer to my room and then I can uppload around the clock untill it's all up, I you couldget my a reply withing 9h I can start tonight.

Thats about what I can think about right now.

peterthesmart
October 26th, 2003, 04:33 PM
I was trying to upload the last cd for Visual Studio .NET but I lost the connection at 91%. Here's the error:
STATUS:> Connecting to ftp server forumftp.serveftp.org:21 (ip = 69.47.50.251)...
ERROR:> Can't connect to remote server. Socket error = #10060.
Anyone else getting the same problem? I havent been able to try resuming the file but I hope I can since its around 600megs.

chemwarrior
October 26th, 2003, 08:29 PM
Im very sorry guys... it will be down till about saturday... the god damn remodelers drilled straight to the cables for power to my room, so I will have no way of even turning the computer on till then. Im currently using my parents computer unfortunately:(

Peter, the file should be able to be resumed... if not, Ill send you disks, postage included for both ways, and you can copy the files onto disk.

chemwarrior
October 28th, 2003, 09:02 PM
:D Its back up before I thought it would be fellas:) Sorry about that inconvenience...

Also, what I think Im going to do is keep all the movies that are uploaded by a any one person in one file, that way a person can have a 'gathering' of all their movies, full length and home made:)

IDTB
October 28th, 2003, 09:36 PM
Originally posted by chemwarrior
I think Im going to do is keep all the movies that are uploaded by a any one person in one file, that way a person can have a 'gathering' of all their movies, full length and home made:)

I personally find this to be a bad idea. What if said files aren't legal to have/distribute? I'd surely hope they don't have the given person's name linked to them in anyway.

It might also create an FTP hierarchy displaying just who uploaded what. The best thing to do is spool it everything together, so nobody knows who uploaded what and that way nobody will achieve a status.

chemwarrior
October 29th, 2003, 12:25 AM
How would they get a status other than the thanks of members?? Many members but their name at the end of the file they uploaded, so having folders for movies that each person uploaded wouldnt be a problem. As for the movies being uploaded, the only person having to worry is me, and I have many many many many movies on tape and DVD, but I dont know how to rip them or I would.

Anyways, Ill just cut the whole full length movie idea away (as in names of people who uploaded them) but personal movies, such as dets and stuff, Ill keep in a folder for each member, unless they object, and if they do, Ill just put them in a community folder.

But as for status, thats rediculous (sp?). its not like Im going to give people access to the Staff Only section unless they're staff. And thats the only 'status' other than just FTP member that they can get, but thats reserved for staff only, so there isnt a status....

IDTB
October 29th, 2003, 01:28 AM
I was thinking more along the lines as a psychological status between members... It's all in theory.

Not only is the search of archives before posting wise, but so is the search of the dictionary. Both are readily available. SP: Ridiculous.

chemwarrior
October 29th, 2003, 01:51 AM
You know, sometimes people dont have the time to waste in looking up a single word.:rolleyes:

And if you'll notice, overall, I have very good spelling. And I dont appreciate it when peole like you, newbies, who havent been here hardly at all start acting cocky.:mad:

Lil_Guppy
October 29th, 2003, 06:11 AM
No matter how much someone does, there will always be another complaining about something or other. I know I myself am a newbie, so I don't really have any right to put other newbies down, but I also know that nit picking and being rude to a member of the forums is rude, especially when they are trying to help the forum to grow. That aside, good work chemwarrior :) Now I just have to write a few interesting articles for the forum so I can get access to the FTP ;)

IDTB
October 29th, 2003, 05:48 PM
I wasn't trying to 'nit pick'. I simply think it's absolute hypocrisy when it's wrong to post about something that can easily be looked up, yet people can't take a good 7seconds to grab a dictionary. I'm sorry if I came off cocky.

With hindsight I now know I could have phrased that much better.

chemwarrior
October 29th, 2003, 06:33 PM
IDTB, just stop talking. Your digging yourself a deeper hole.

I simply think it's absolute hypocrisy when it's wrong to post about something that can easily be looked up

Are you infering that Im being a hypocrite?

You know, I really dont give a damn. Stop while your ahead before you insult someone, other than me, who has the power to ban your ass.:mad:

blindreeper
October 30th, 2003, 06:37 AM
IDTB, I was once like you and got HED. Fortunatly the (g)mods had pity for my sorry ass and I was allowed back into the community. Basicly take chemwarriors advice and quit while your a head.

megalomania
October 30th, 2003, 05:13 PM
Eh, what's all this about children? Lets keep this thread on track shall we...

DBSP
November 1st, 2003, 09:53 AM
Was anyone interested in my offer ? if noone has anything to say I'll just uppload everything and let Chemwarrior sort things out. BUT it would be a lot easier if we could help eachother out so that sorting the thousands of files becomes a bit easier.

chemwarrior
November 1st, 2003, 03:16 PM
Oops, Im sorry DBSP, I had thought I left a message on that...

Anyways, all the files you have, please upload them. Once your done upping them, Ill go through and move them to the correct areas of the FTP, so if you could do a small bit of work on giving them some semblence of organization, I would really appreciate it.

Also, simply create a file such as DBSP files, put your files in there, and upload that. It will be much easier for me to find the files that way, rather than searching through a sea of files for them.

DBSP
November 2nd, 2003, 06:11 AM
OK, I'm currently upploading all my PDFs.

They are sent to the E&W folder.

All PDFs that start with or contain a pt. number is a patent. More or less all others are something else, in most cases they are named by the subject. Allthough I have not renamed a single one of them so that there still are many with incorrect names. Just realized that many of the PDFs without pt. number are still patants, well can't do anything about it now, to late.

PDF 768-795 are russian mines and other explosive devices.

I've just gone through my files and I have counted some of the things I will uppload.

I've got ~1000 pics with various contents.
About 80 army videos.
About 120 videos of the NATO bombings in cosovo.
About 225 rocketry videos, allthough there might be about a hundred more of them, not shure.
About 300 misc explosives/pyrotechnics videos.
About 40 .mht documents of various content.
About 30 videos of various weapons, allthough I know I've got more of them somewhere. Found them, make that 125 vids.

chemwarrior, I would appreciate if you could simply make a couple of new dirs in the E&W upploads folder, videos and pictures. and then subfolders: videos/NATAO,weaponry,rocketry and misc. And pictures/rocketry and misc.

Would that be possible?

chemwarrior
November 2nd, 2003, 12:11 PM
Ill set that up strictly for you, as I dont want to start creating hundreds upon hundres of directories.

Nevermore
November 2nd, 2003, 04:45 PM
by the way i found that i can't download from the upload dir at now, what happened?

IDTB
November 2nd, 2003, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by DBSP
About 40 .mht documents of various content.
I'm curious, what reader would you need to read .mht files? Or is it a simple text with a different extension?

I did a google search on mht and couldn't find anything but acronyms used by companies.

chemwarrior
November 2nd, 2003, 10:38 PM
I believe its just a different extension.

Also, no one can download from the uploads directotry, its has write-only access.

T_Pyro
November 3rd, 2003, 01:55 AM
I'm curious, what reader would you need to read .mht files?

mht files are complete webpage files which contain all the resources (html, gif, jpg, etc.) all in one file. it can be opened with MS Internet Explorer

chemwarrior
November 3rd, 2003, 06:10 PM
File request-

Im looking for Norton- Personal Firewall. I already have 3 firewalls on my computer, but I want to test Nortons.... sooo if anyone has it, please upload it to the FTP.

peterthesmart
November 3rd, 2003, 08:24 PM
Done.

Rhadon
November 3rd, 2003, 08:26 PM
I used Norton Personal Firewall in the past, but Sygate Personal Firewall seems to be better for my purposes and in my opinion is to be preferred. For instance, you can easily block traffic from and to computers with certain IPs (RIAA, FBI, ...). That doesn't give you complete security, of course.

chemwarrior
November 3rd, 2003, 09:05 PM
Thanks Pete.

Just curious... what programs DONT you have? :p Your a guru of software! :D

@Rhadon
Im just testing different ones. I like knowing which ones will do what hte best. I currently have three installed on my comp:D

peterthesmart
November 3rd, 2003, 09:47 PM
I've been havin trouble gettin my hands on the latest version of Autocad. Other than that I can easily get just about any program made recently over IRC. You can find just about anything on there and sometimes if you're lucky, you can even find a few books on chemistry. I'm always taking requests for files if anyones looking for something. I still havent uploaded all my programs though.. I'm not sure how much I have myself.

chemwarrior
November 3rd, 2003, 09:57 PM
Well, unless you have over 100gigs of programs, you can upload till your hearts content:) And if ya got more... well Ill invest in yet another HDD, hehe.

DBSP
November 4th, 2003, 12:46 PM
Thanks a lot for setting the folders up for me, it makes things much easier for me and hopefully for you as well.

Currently upploading the weaponry videos, 250MB.

I will try to uppload as much as I can tonight, still working my ass off and when I'm not working I'm spending my time with my girlfriend. So I haven't really gotten much time to sit by the computer lately.

UPDATE: I've now apploaded all the NATO and weaponry vids.
To tired to continiue, I will continiue as soon as possible.

peterthesmart
November 5th, 2003, 07:14 PM
Chemwarrior, I'm curious, what size has the FTP grown to? It hasn't been too long and it seems to have increased dramatically.

T_Pyro
November 5th, 2003, 09:07 PM
peterthesmart, AutoCAD 2004 is available on Kazaa, if you're interested. Unfortunately, my connection does not permit me to contribute as much as I'd like to, else I'd upload it myself.:confused:

chemwarrior
November 5th, 2003, 10:30 PM
Before the FTP was restarted, it was roughly 18 gigs in size... it is now over 30gigs in size. And Peter, that is mostly from your contributions:)

chemwarrior
November 16th, 2003, 03:36 AM
Peter, I lost your e-mail addy. Send me an e-mail, I have a favor to ask of you.

A-BOMB
November 16th, 2003, 10:32 AM
Chemwarrior I was wondering if you could do some thing for me, do you have a copy of the PMJB series that are not the HJ-Split files? Just the plain full size .pdf because I just cant get them to recombine without them causeing a error when I try to open them. I've tried every thing, so if you could put a recombined copy of the file in the folders with the HJ-Split files. I would pray unto you, and sacrafice many a nigger and towel head on your altar.

Cricket
November 16th, 2003, 09:20 PM
I have a CD named "How to make amatuer rockets" full of valuable shit. And of course I am on a dial up. If anyone wants to/is capable of uploading, e-mail me and I can mail it to someone in the US. It has a lot of stuff related to rockets, propellants, stability and design bla bla...

chemwarrior
November 16th, 2003, 11:06 PM
FTP will be down for a while, Im having hardware problems and am not on my own computer currently. It should be back up soon.

Sorry about the inconvenience.

zeocrash
November 17th, 2003, 06:12 AM
that would explain something.
this is kinda off the topic, but it would be a good idea if the ftp got it's own section on the forum. the last ftp thread we had just became big and awkward (sp?). i also seem to remember finding the beginings of an ftp section on the old UBB board.
anyway, chemwarrior any idea how long till the ftp is back up

Ammonal
November 17th, 2003, 08:22 AM
Hey Chemwarrior,
Not meaning to be a pain but I am just checking to see if you are processing/allowing/rejecting me FTP access.
I followed the instructions for applying, and waited 2 weeks and then sent you an email with the subject: Process Account.
If you could let me know via this thread what is happening, I sincerely appologise if the answer is right under my nose and I should have just read this entire thread not just the first 10 posts and the last couple.
Sincerely,
Ammonal

EDIT: Damn hotmail junk folder :mad: I will redo the FTP application. My apologies.

peterthesmart
November 20th, 2003, 11:44 PM
Chemwarrior, do you know if any of the files on the FTP have been corrupted, or did your computer just shut off?
Btw, I sent you my email and I'm building a cache of files to upload:) .

blindreeper
November 21st, 2003, 05:54 AM
I have a slight delemour on my hands right now with regards to my FTP program. I downlaoded CuteFTP pro from the net and then got onto the FTP and downloaded the FTP software package. I installed the crack and it worked fine. Now I come to use it again after about a week and it says my one day trial has ended! I have had it going for over a month! I tried to run the crack again and no luck. I unistalled the CuteFTP pro and then installed it again, tried the crack and still the same registration has expired.
Also with the generation of the crack it asks for a name I put in blindreeper and then it asks for a minimum 7 letter string. What is a "string" as such? I just typed random stuff and it seemed to generate the key ok.

I don't want to you IE for an FTP program, wait I will NOT use IE. I am wanting to upload my PDF soon, was going to tonight but alas this had to happen didn't it :rolleyes:

Ollie Snowie
November 21st, 2003, 02:46 PM
Which crack are you using, blindreeper? It can't be a very good one because "blindreeper" is an 11 letter string, which should be fine if a minimum of 7 letter string is OK.
I think it may not be working because you may have used a key that did not match the name entered (you used name=blindreeper with key that was made using random letters.). The keygen applies some sort of alogarithm to the name so the name must match the serial.
I use the crack from "phr0zen crew" (wow da kewls made something useful for once!) that I got from imesh.

EDIT - [I only got this crack to work when I had cuteFTP running and pressed the "register" or something like it button on the keygen. You have to have administrator rights on your computer logon account to do this, (because it needs to write to the shared area of the registry) which I assume you do, because it worked once.]

Rhadon
November 21st, 2003, 03:03 PM
Blindreeper, just try another FTP program if you don't get it to work. I've tried CuteFTP in the past, am now using FlashFXP (http://www.flashfxp.com) and like it more than CuteFTP.

xyz
November 21st, 2003, 08:16 PM
@blindreeper, you may find this useful: http://www.deathskitchen.com/tools/serials.php?keyword=CuteFTP&action=Search

Otherwise just search KaZaA for "CuteFTP Keygen".

chemwarrior
November 24th, 2003, 11:26 AM
Sorry about all the problems guys, Ive been sick as hell and today is the first day Ive gotten out of bed for more than a few minutes in about a week. As to when the FTP will be back up, Im guessing within a week. Im not totally sure whats wrong with it, dont honestly care either. Just as long as my friend fixes it and doesnt charge me an arm and a leg, lol.

Talk to ya guys later:)

Edit- Also, I was going to mention to use this (http://www.bpftp.com\) as your FTP browser. Yes, it only has a thirty day trial, but its IMHO the best FTP client available. Very simple to use and quite good:)

Darkbloodpriest
November 26th, 2003, 02:31 PM
Blindreeper you have to manually search thru your registry for cute, cuteftp, and
globalscape entries and delete them all. The program saves a key that says to
the program on reinstall, "HEY! This guy installed me before and he's trying to get out of the 30
days trial limitation!!" And then cuteftp listens to the registry key and thinks, fuck this guy.
I'm not doing shit. So yea...thats my scientific explanation of whats happening.
You CAN wait for the ftp to be up and I will be upping the copy I use...working crack and all.
Only prob is that cute wants to get online on startup every few times you load it and
validate your key. So if you don't have a firewall running to control the programs' access to the net, you're SOL.
Because if it DOES get online, the program recognizes you have a bad key,
and closes. The only way to stop this from happening is to limit access on the first attempt
to get online by cuteftp and allow
all later connections (i.e. when you try to get on the ftp)
So if you are willing to go thru ALL of that, "I got the hookup" as soon as the ftp is back online :D
Sorry to hear about your illness chemwarrior. Strange...when ctrl c was away for more than a
few days...I remember there being QUITE the uproar...hmm. Heres to hoping
you getting better soon!

chemwarrior
November 28th, 2003, 10:07 PM
Sorry for all the downtime, things are back up and running:)

Also, my e-mail provider went haywire, and deleted a lot of my messages, so if you e-mailed me or applied for FTP permissions, then please do so again.

peterthesmart
November 28th, 2003, 10:19 PM
YAY!!!!!!!!!

chemwarrior
November 28th, 2003, 11:02 PM
fucking wonderful. I dont know what the fuck is wrong with the ftp now!

grrr, Ill have it fixed soon I hope.

chemwarrior
November 29th, 2003, 01:30 AM
Alright everyone, everythings up and running once again:)

xyz
November 29th, 2003, 04:22 AM
Wicky...

I'll see if I can find bpftp as warez somewhere.

GibboNet
November 29th, 2003, 04:31 AM
Just get Smart FTP Client (http://www.smartftp.com). It's free, fully featured, matches the best of them, and I've been using it every second day at least for probably a year or more. If anyone has troubles with it, there must be something seriously wrong with them.

I'm going to try to scan a few aussie army manuals, though the scanner I've just recieved is old, and the resolution / quality may not be good. If it turns out terrible, I'll wait till I can get better results.

I may also be able to get hold of some of the new interactive training cd's, with the manuals already in PDF :D Fingers crossed... they're kept pretty tightly, but I reckon I'll manage it eventually.

In other news, there are other ways to share files you know. I've emailed chem warrior about it, hopefully we'll have a talk. I can't host a server, I'm on dial up, but I can host some files at times, especially if the main server goes down.

It's nice to be active on the forum again :)

xyz
November 29th, 2003, 04:32 AM
I am not the one who wants it, chemwarrior said it was good so I'll see if I can find it to upload it.

blindreeper
November 29th, 2003, 08:31 AM
Resolving host name forumftp.serveftp.org...
Connecting to (forumftp.serveftp.org) -> IP: 69.47.50.251 PORT: 21
A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond.
Cannot login waiting to retry (30s)...
Continue to login attempt 2...
A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond.
Continue to login attempt 3...
Continue to login attempt 4...

Still keep getting this with FlashFXP and SmartFTP. Is anyone else having trouble connecting?

peterthesmart
November 29th, 2003, 09:03 AM
Yea, my connection died a few hours ago.

Nevermore
November 29th, 2003, 11:50 AM
the forum ftp is currently down.
at least for me.

chemwarrior
November 29th, 2003, 01:43 PM
I just tried logging into it and it works fine... the comp has been on all night, so I dont know whats wrong with it... maybe just a glitch, but anyways, right now its up and running.

darkdontay
November 30th, 2003, 01:23 AM
I get the very same reasponse as Blindreaper.

Chem are you loggin on through your own CONNECTION, or trying from a second box somewhere off your own network and the Box running the server.

photonic
November 30th, 2003, 04:09 PM
I can't log in either. Anyways though, I'd like to thank Chemwarrior for his timely management of accounts and also for providing this service.

Here's what a traceroute from my end shows to the FTP(I edited or removed a number of hops close to me, but it shouldn't affect your analysis. I also removed the city indicator closest to you. :) ):

traceroute to forumftp.serveftp.org (69.47.50.251), 30 hops max, 38 byte packets
1 [REMOVED] 10.927 ms 10.291 ms 8.290 ms
2 [REMOVED] 12.049 ms 10.253 ms 9.379 ms
3 [REMOVED] 10.982 ms 11.809 ms 11.064 ms
4 [REMOVED] 9.830 ms 10.419 ms 10.302 ms
5 22.119.124.149 (22.119.124.149) 11.820 ms 10.858 ms 11.335 ms
6 gbr2-p50.ny1ny.att.net (12.123.16.238) 10.273 ms 11.627 ms 13.181 ms
7 tbr2-p012701.ny1ny.att.net (12.122.12.81) 15.602 ms 12.757 ms 11.002 ms
8 tbr2-cl6.sl9mo.ip.att.net (12.122.10.89) 26.598 ms 25.453 ms 25.365 ms
9 tbr2-cl7.cgcil.ip.att.net (12.122.10.45) 33.107 ms 32.506 ms 36.374 ms
10 gar1-p390.***oh.ip.att.net (12.123.210.18) 44.282 ms 42.091 ms 39.873 ms <--- Into Ohio here(city removed)
11 12.118.224.30 (12.118.224.30) 40.650 ms 41.934 ms 40.732 ms
12 172.31.35.53 (172.31.35.53) 47.050 ms 48.855 ms 42.447 ms
13 * * *
30 * * *

Thanks again for hosting the FTP and for making a very quick response to my account request. If I can be of any assistance isolating the fault, you can reach me at the address I applied for an account with.

darkdontay
November 30th, 2003, 09:00 PM
It is still down, do we know yet even a rought guess as to where the error lies?

chemwarrior
November 30th, 2003, 09:20 PM
Its some problem with my dynDNS service. I cannt figure out what the problem is.. Ive gone through everything at least 10 times, but I cannt get the bloody thing to work no matter what I do.

If anyone has any ideas, or knows anything about the 'inner' workings of dynDNS, Id really appreciate knowing.

photonic
December 1st, 2003, 09:39 AM
The DNS is working. At least what I think of as DNS. Are you talking about something like NAT from the router?

Ollie Snowie
December 1st, 2003, 02:28 PM
Which Dynamic DNS service are you using, chemwarrior? (by the sounds of it, dynDNS)
As far as I can remember, the IP address has been the same as long as the FTP has not been working, so I think the DNS servers are OK, but the dynamic update client is faulty. Try using No-IP. It has never failed for me. (Go to http://www.no-ip.org.)

darkdontay
December 1st, 2003, 09:25 PM
I doubt it is your DNS, because when I enter your IP manualy I get the same reasponse.

blindreeper
December 2nd, 2003, 04:50 AM
The FTP is still not working for me, I get the same response as before. Any updates on what the problem could be?

Cricket
December 2nd, 2003, 01:41 PM
Damn, it's got me too. I haven't been able to get on for a while now. I use Windows 2K Pro with Cute FTP Pro, if it helps. Also, I would like to thank everyone that has hosted or contributed to the FTP. It is a really wonderful thing.

Ollie Snowie
December 4th, 2003, 07:48 AM
Yes, but how do you know what the IP is so you can enter it manually? You would have to get it by pinging the DNS name, and if the DNS isn't working, the IP address you are entering will be wrong. He has a dynamic IP address so that's why the fact that the IP address always appears to be the same could be linked to the fact that the DNS isn't updating often enough.
Perhaps chemwarrior could run a program like "MyWANIP" and post his WAN IP address, so the DNS doesn't come into it. Then people could try logging on using that IP just to see which one is faulty, the server or the DNS. I'm pretty sure the DNS is faulty, and possibly the server as well.
Chemwarrior hasn't posted for a while in this thread, so he might be busy.

megalomania
December 4th, 2003, 04:39 PM
He is working on it. He told me last night it may be up to a week and a half to get it straightened out.

blindreeper
December 4th, 2003, 05:30 PM
I am in no desperate need for the FTP because it just chews up my download limit up :)
At least we have a dedicated member like chemwarrior that is willing to give up his time to set up this FTP for us.

Jacks Complete
December 5th, 2003, 06:43 PM
I take it that new requests aren't going to be processed for a while, then...

We need a better system than a single point FTP server. The suggestion of a P2P network of stuff is a good one, as it would prevent files being lost, etc if any one person is off-line, as well as not getting someone shafted by their ISP for having a maxed out connection 24/7. It would speed up the downloads, too. Some of the new ones use encryption, too, which would, I think, be preferable.

Is anyone "officially" looking at these systems?

peterthesmart
December 6th, 2003, 12:12 AM
The IRC channel I am hoping will help ease these problems, it will still be a few weeks until we see its effect.