View Full Version : American Science & Surplus

chokingvictim78
October 17th, 2003, 06:38 PM
I haven't seen this source anywhere on the forum. They sell surplus lab equipment, among many other things. I just got a new catalogue in, I had forgotten about it until now. Stuff from litmus paper, to glassware, scales, mass sets, thermometers, telescopes, tools to bore your own tube holes in rubber stoppers (first time I've ever seen something for that specific purpose), and tons of other things, including military surplus. A lot of it is science related toys for kids, something useful could probably be found in those sections too. It's cheap, as well, Pyrex beakers/flasks dont run any higher than 12 or 13 bucks USD. The URL is www.sciplus.com. I haven't checked out the site thouroughly yet, though. If this has already been mentioned/belongs in a certain thread, would a mod please move it?

grandyOse
October 17th, 2003, 09:08 PM
I've placed several orders over the years. They tend to hype their product a little, so it's easy to be dissapointed when it arrives. Overall, they are curteous and fast, with great prices (usually). The catalogs are pretty humorous, also.

Haggis
October 18th, 2003, 01:18 AM
I, too, have ordered from them many times. If you have any questions about sizes of their products (ie. diameter of glassware) they usually will give you a prompt response by email if you are polite. Overall, they are pleasant do deal with. I would reccommend them for an easy, quick solution to glassware woes.

megalomania
October 18th, 2003, 12:53 PM
I find their glassware prices to be rather high myself, of course they do sell single items which is always a plus. If you want better prices I suggest Hagenow Laboratories... ooh they just changed their name this year, it is now Elemental Scientific at http://www.elementalscientific.net/

If you want "real" glassware, and by that I mean the stuff for organic reactions with standard taper glassware go to Chemglass at http://www.chemglass.com/index.htm Chemglass has an awsome selection at damn good prices, they will sell individual pieces, and they have a free catalog. Sure standard taper stuff is a bit of an investment, but if you treat it right it will last many years of trouble free chemical reactions.

CommonScientist
January 21st, 2004, 06:25 PM
Thanks mega for the link, I am in dire need of glassware! I have but a couple flasks, 1 beaker, a graduated cylinder and thats it :(! I have ordered their catolog and it is on its way :)

Mendeleev
January 21st, 2004, 10:08 PM
Chemglass is the best glassware site I have seen! :) The two other sites that are really good are www.unitedglasstech.com and www.wilmad-labglass.com . In the meantime I only order from sci-plus. Living under the oppressive rule of two scientist parents, a beaker might pass near then, but a process reactor would raise some questions to say the least.

EP
January 21st, 2004, 11:08 PM
Sciplus is connected with Lab Warehouse (owned by same people), which is more chem specific.
http://www.labwarehouse.com/lw/
I've ordered from them as well with no problems.