View Full Version : M3 Multi-Role Anti-Armor Anti-Personnel Weapon System (MAAWS)

zaqzaq1
October 19th, 2003, 09:57 AM
Hi
please help me to make
M3 Multi-Role Anti-Armor Anti-Personnel Weapon System (MAAWS)

http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/land/m3-maws.htm

and

M-72 Light Anti-tank Weapon (LAW)

whate the steps to make it ?

Thanks

Anath
October 19th, 2003, 10:27 AM
O.k, I can see you're about to be brutalized by the mods. but anyway.

A shoulder launched, spin stabilized rocket with a shaped charge warhead could conceivably be made by 'Joe Average'. Here's how I would go about it.

Obtain some thin walled aluminium tubing (about 3" diameter) that is a sliding fit into a thick walled (schedule 80?) PVC pipe, Internally rifle the PVC piping (or buy pre-rifled potato cannon tube) and construct studs (pop-rivets?) on the Al rocket tube to engage the rifling. you might look into some sort of blast shield similar to a WWII bazooka as well.

http://www.roguesci.org/theforum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=457

There's plenty of threads on the forum about blackpowder or Sugar/Chlorate rocket mixtures, ramming cores and nozzles.

You would need a High Explosive shaped charge (martini glass) payload with a standoff fuse to detonate the SC at the optimal distance from the target surface. I'd guess a length (15 inches?) of thin aluminium tube, impacting a shotgun primer to fire a detonator at the apex of the martini glass SC might work.

http://www.roguesci.org/theforum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1732&highlight=martini

All the individual systems of a Shoulder Launched Anti-Armour Rocket are well documented on the forum, but it would take a huge amount of experimenting to get it all to 'come together' and make a reliable and SAFE unit that actually works. for christs sake, don't try firing anything until you are -damned- sure it works safely.

Now, What the hell do you want one for? are you planning on going 'overt' against Tanks or APC's? you'd be better off headbutting a modern Tank with all the damage a homemade SC would do.. look into Explosively Formed Projectiles and think about firing one of those -downwards- from bridge or something, tanks are weakest on top. Laying traps is infinitely superior to trying to get yourself killed.

zeocrash
October 19th, 2003, 10:54 AM
everything you need can be found right here
page 1 (http://www.roguesci.org/theforum/misc.php?s=&action=faq)
page 2 (http://www.roguesci.org/theforum/misc.php?s=&action=faq&page=4)
read it well

zaqzaq1
October 19th, 2003, 10:57 AM
thank you for reply

but I want the structure,Description

and steps to make the body

regards

zaibatsu
October 19th, 2003, 11:26 AM
There is a book out on converting a deactivated LAW launcher to live fire again, I believe it's called "L.A.W and Disorder". That seems feasible, or try the "improvised home built recoilless launcher" book that's floating around here somewhere. BTW, don't ask where, try a search on google or Rogue Sci.

Anath
October 19th, 2003, 11:30 AM
Sheesh, i suppose you want someone to build and shoot it for you as well? This isn't "The Complete Idiots Guide to Making a TOW missile"..

It really is very simple to picture what you would need to do. Try looking at http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-9/405221/SLAAR.gif

I don't think I'll waste any more time on this unless it becomes a 'proper' topic.

zaqzaq1
October 19th, 2003, 11:51 AM
Thanks for you

But I want more nformation about it.

chokingvictim78
October 19th, 2003, 02:47 PM
It is most likely not going to be even remotely conceivable for you to build a mil-spec recoiless shoulder-mounted launcher, especially taking into consideration your desire to just be spoon-fed the information. The schematic that Anath posted will probably be the pinnacle of your possible acheivements. A simple SC would be much more effective, because it could be much larger/carry more shrapnel than a shoulder-lauched rocket could. An electronically activated SC mounted on the bottom of a bridge the target will pass under would be the best way to go about it, IMO. Build a cheap trip-wire setup out of a clothespin, foil, a battery, and some wire. Use a plastic spacer tied to a string to open the circuit, and set up the string so that the tank will run into it and pull it out. Someone operating a bigass tank will most likely not be looking for a thin string, more likely they will be looking for someone with a homemade rocket launcher hiding somewhere.

Edit: I will be off the forum and net for a week. Not allowed to give details.

vulture
October 19th, 2003, 05:13 PM
<start shaking head in utter disbelief>
WTF happened to the forum spirit when NBK started his hiatus? Did everybody suddenly turn into feel nice bearhuggers or what?

The dude is specifically asking to be spoonfed and you guys even help him?! :eek:
Tell him to fill the launch tube with tabasco and stuff it up his ass!
</continue shaking head in utter disbelief>

DBSP
October 19th, 2003, 05:24 PM
zaqzaq1 you was very recently told NOT to ask for information bu rather to SEARCH for it, and what do you do? You still ask for it, stupid!!

Now NBK might not be here right now but I'm sertainly not going to become any bearhugger, I like this place nice and orderly, and we can sertainly cope without these constant annoying interuptions from stupid little KEWLS.

Lets all just be happy that this particular kewl isn't going to be bothering us anytime the nearest future, HED...:D

Anath
October 20th, 2003, 06:27 AM
Hah, sorry about helping him out, but it's an interesting topic for me, particularly as I used to design and build similar things for a living :)

I'm certainly no 'bearhugger'. I don't feel I should be chastising people until I have 50+ posts up though, I get irked by people with 8 posts screaming "your gonna get banned when a mod comes n00b!!".

as this hasn't been locked, will it become a proper topic for large (non-firework) Spin Stabilized Recoilless Rifle / Barrage Rockets with HE payloads?

knowledgehungry
October 20th, 2003, 08:30 AM
I believe the term is treehuggers;). I too have noticed an exponential increase in retards and new posts since NBK took his absence, it would appear his mere presence stopped KEWLS in there tracks, the current mods are doing a good job though. Where is Anthony? I haven't seen him for a while.

vulture
October 20th, 2003, 03:55 PM
IMHO:

Bearhugger: Person that advocates the feel nice/be nice idea in to the extreme. Will do everything, including complying to the enemy to avoid any trace of conflict.

Treehugger: Person that has an insane compassion for vegetables, even if they're a piece of weed in the grass.

knowledgehungry
October 20th, 2003, 04:30 PM
The intelligence level of the recent N00Bs resembles that of vegetables, and they are defintly weeds in our garden of knowledge... So treehuggers it is :p

Anthony
October 21st, 2003, 01:03 PM
Fuck me, this has *got* to be a troll! Or are people really capable of being that stupid? Worrying thought...

"as this hasn't been locked, will it become a proper topic for large (non-firework) Spin Stabilized Recoilless Rifle / Barrage Rockets with HE payloads?"

It can if you want it to be! Considering your experience, it could well be an interesting thread. So if you want the challenge, you can make it your personal mission to make this thread rise from the ashes like a veritable pheonix :)

"Where is Anthony? I haven't seen him for a while."

Making a 5mi hike to the sodding petrol station at 9am :mad:

Still, at least I'm subsequently not at work today :D

Tuatara
October 21st, 2003, 06:11 PM
Has anyone here actually fired one of these things? When I worked for a mil company making simulators we had a Carl Gustav (with a big hole drilled in the side :mad: ), as well as a number of used, single shot anti-tank launchers, and it always seemed to me that the poor sucker firing the thing would get singed by the backblast as the missile left the launcher. So I'm a mite curious as to how one retains ones eyebrows when firing one of these things.

Anthony
October 21st, 2003, 07:18 PM
A short websearch would probably bring up a definite answer, but I'm just going off the top of my head here. I think there are two ways:

1) have the motor burn all its propellent before exiting the launch tube, obviously this would require a very high burn rate, and might severly limit projectile speed.

2) have a small ejection charge to lumber the projectile from the launcher and then ignite the main motor a few yards away. This is definitely used, I remember a thread a while back where a member was involved in developing such a weapon using a hydrazine based fuel and were using this technique to make sure that user was clear of the rocket exhaust when the main hydrazine fuel ignited. The ejection charge burns completely before the rocket leaves the launcher.

There was also a video clip kicking about somewhere (possibly the FTP) demoing an anti-tank launcher. When fired, the rocket jumps out of the launcher with a small "bumpff", starts falling the ground a few yards away and then the main motor ignites and it streaks back skywards and off to it's target. The video is recognisable by the complete flattening of a tank when the rocket strikes, so much that you wonder whether it was a real tank...

zaibatsu
October 25th, 2003, 08:13 AM
Or none of the above ;) in the case of recoilless launchers, like the Carl Gustav. Basically a frangible plate on the end of the cartridge lets pressure build up and then shatters, pushing the gas through a venturi, and the shell out the other end. Then there is the countershot system, where you throw a shell of, say, a kilo out one end of a tube, and something weighing 500g out the other end twice as fast. Or, something like the German Armbrust system, which uses a couple of opposed pistons with the propellant between them. No flash, bang or smoke, some plastic flys out the back, which soon slows down, and the shell goes out the front.

McGyver
October 26th, 2003, 10:25 PM
Related to both improvised weapons and rocket luanchers, interesting tactics...current events (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/3216141.stm)

Alot different from this chain of suicide bombings, those bastards are becoming clever. This is deffinetly an improvised device, they had to sight the rockets and modify the RPG luanchers for the attack. I wounder if they are going to use these same tactics in the future, maybe add a RC to the multiple rocket luancher.