View Full Version : AC556 vs mini 14

stu460
October 23rd, 2003, 08:09 AM
hi all,i posted a little while ago about how does one tell if the mini 14 had been converted,well i pulled the firing mech apart and it still has the second sear so thats good,ok guru`s,what is the difference between the FA ac556 and the semi auto mini14,what is the difference in firing mechanisms,does the full auto style selector switch hold back the sear so its fully auto,is that why taking out the sear would have to be same effect,but you guys reckon the full auto had problems anyway,someone enlighten this lamer,i was given this gun off a deceased relative,its shortened with a pistol grip,silenced,and also has a red dot scope,30 shot mag,looks like an assassins former weapon,these guns are new to me,this site has been helpfull..

grandyOse
October 23rd, 2003, 11:41 AM
IIRC there is a factory version of selective fire mini-14 for LEOs. Of this I know nothing. There is only one conversion of which I am aware for selective fire, and it involves a makeshift rod connected (on the right side) between the trigger group and the receiver. This should be obvious to the most casual observer. Several years ago I read the instructions, and it looked like a good way to detroy a rifle, and spend many frustrating hours in the process.

If you have a FA mini, then you have something rare.

stu460
October 23rd, 2003, 07:15 PM
i wish it were an ac556,i just wanted to make it clear that im interested in the firing mechanism difference,i dont plan to convert it,as someone on here once said,its probably better in semi mode anyway,its just an interest i have at the moment,i was curious to know how the factory did it,for all i know the fa mechanism may be totally different..ive never seen any information on
them.

JDAM
October 26th, 2003, 01:38 AM
True factory ACs have a small lever on the right rear of the reciever that needs a slight scallop of the stock to move. Factory FA M14s are very similar. No lever no FA. Aside from the fact shooting FA is fun, for most weapons and people it is a total waste of money (ammo) and a quick ticket to a fed prison for un-liscened maker or user of said weapon.

JDAM

MP5Guy
November 9th, 2003, 01:36 AM
As you can see a good bit of difference between the Mini14 and the AC556. I hope this helps you out.
http://www.hunt101.com/img/069839.jpg

stu460
November 9th, 2003, 10:26 AM
yeah now i can see why its a lot more than just turning the secondary sear around or modifying it,thanks for that pic,i couldnt find one anywhere,theres a major difference in the two firing mechanisms,i was starting to wonder if i posted a stupid question..thanks.

MP5Guy
November 9th, 2003, 02:00 PM
That used in the Select Fire M14's and is reliant on way too many small parts and springs to be reliable. Simplicity is the key to a system that can be maintained by the user without sending the weapon back to the manufacturer as seen here in a M16 Auto Sear.
http://www.hunt101.com/img/066541.jpg