View Full Version : I need a receiver diagram!

xmarinevet
October 25th, 2003, 12:24 AM
I was wondering if anyone could help in finding a receiver diagram for a sten sub. I've found like twenty that look like they were drawn by a twelve year old kid and the ones n the pmjb book series suck. I want something that I can print out and paste on a piece of tube, cut with a torch, drill holes, sand, and put on my parts kit. If any body has any links to any cheap homemade subguns that would be helpful too. I have the one by luty and metrel, I hope to atempt them soon. Thanks

irish
October 25th, 2003, 12:49 AM
Mod's,
is it ok to post a link to a gunsmithing forum here ? I remember NBK going through someone for posting links to other forums.

xyz
October 25th, 2003, 02:19 AM
I beleive there are receiver diagrams for all kinds of pistols, rifles, and SMGs on the FTP.

Irish, I think NBK was only doing that because they were advertising the other forum and their post was solely for that purpose. You should be OK posting a link for the purpose of spreading information.

Ammonal
October 25th, 2003, 06:36 AM
Hey xmarinevet, I had these plans on my hard drive, they look like it would be feasible to make a sten from them. I might one day but I got no 9mm ammo so...

http://www.biggerhammer.net/manuals/sten_mk2_complete_machine_instructions.pdf

xyz
October 25th, 2003, 07:27 AM
IIRC even if you do have access to 9mm ammo (unlikely in Australia) there is a very slight difference between the 9mm ammo for pistols and the 9mm ammo for SMGs.

Before anyone starts an argument, I know that pistols and subs both fire the 9mm parabellum round but I have heard on this forum that 9mm pistol ammo will cause jams in SMGs and I have also seen a handgun manufacturers website where there were specific safety instructions not to fire 9mm SMG ammo in that manufacturer's handguns.

The only way that I can think of for you to get 9mm SMG ammo in Australia is for you to buy once fired SMG brass from the military or someone else, then reload the ammo yourself.

I know that to buy 9mm ammo you have to have a license with a 9mm weapon recorded on it but do you need this for buying 9mm reloading components? You would need a license for buying the reloading components of course but I am not sure if you need a license with a 9mm recorded on it.

You could always buy a rifle chambered for any small pistol round so that you can buy primers and powder, buy once fired brass, and cast your own bullets.

zaibatsu
October 25th, 2003, 07:36 AM
Check www.roderuscustom.tzo.com I think this is probably the group Irish is referring to, it's very good although I don't have enough time for it at the moment.

blacktalon
October 25th, 2003, 07:15 PM
I have heard people talking about SMG ammo a lot. The difference is the powder used. Long barreled SMG's can make better use of a slower burning powder. Pistols and short barreled SMG's need to have as much powder burned in a very short time however, so they require a faster burning powder. (duh) There is no real difference in jamming however. If you have a Jam-O-Matic like a Mac-10, it will jam with pistol or SMG ammo.
Now to the origional topic. Why do you need precision blueprints for a Sten? It is a crude gun. Your precision blueprints would be about the only precision part of the firearm. They were made in bike shops during WWII. Most people make their Stens with a Dremal and they work fine. Why put the extra effort into it?

xyz
October 25th, 2003, 10:36 PM
blacktalon, yes, the SMG in question was a MAC-11:)

So you should be alright with using 9mm pistol ammo in a sten then, especially if you were to shorten the barrel.

xmarinevet
October 25th, 2003, 11:31 PM
Yeah I have to agree stens are pretty crude but I have enough parts kits that I can make some serious dough if I can make some impressive guns. SMG's just arent the type of thing that you see around here everyday and I've had some pretty good offers made by some local yokals. If anybody knows any better recievers for cheap parts kits I would really appreciate it. I've heard an AK is about the simplest buy I cant find blueprints.

xyz
October 25th, 2003, 11:55 PM
There are several sets of AK blueprints on the FTP along with a detailed guide on assembling AK and RPK weapons.

xmarinevet
October 26th, 2003, 12:07 AM
I tried to get on the ftp but i put the wrong user number or something and told i was denied for lieing.

JDAM
October 26th, 2003, 01:02 AM
I hope that you are actually ignorant of the federal law against making machine guns without being a licensed manufacturer, even then anything made after 1986 is not legal for pvt ownership...Its not like us legal gun owners need people making it tougher to keep the feds and shit off our backs. It only takes one dumb MFer to open his trap or go flashing it and there it is on the news and in the paper with anti's spewing how we need confiscation and registration. Not to mention anything done illegally with said weapons would also make you involved in additional charges.

JDAM

irish
October 26th, 2003, 01:53 AM
zaibatsu, that is the forum I was referring too they have some very good info on there.
As for reloading components, in Australia you don't need a licence to buy them but some places may be a bit funny about selling powder and primers, there are no records kept for anything exept for gun's so you will be ok buying components or live ammo with or without a licence (if you can find somewhere that will sell to you without one) you will not go on record as having got a lot of 9mm ammo :) .

xyz
October 26th, 2003, 01:21 AM
Irish, from a what a friend wtih a firearm license tells me, you not only need to have a license for buying ammo, you also need to own a licensed weapon of that calibre (all the weapons you own are recorded on your license).

But I think that all you need to buy reloading components is a firearm license of any kind.

But all this may only be for my state of course.

If what you say is true about ammo without a license, you may be able to order your ammo online from somewhere else in the country.

xmarinevet
October 26th, 2003, 01:35 AM
Send me a money order and a list and I'll mail the ammo to you. Or the powder, primers, and lead. It must really suck living in a place with gun control that strict.

Ammonal
October 26th, 2003, 09:29 AM
In 7 days time there is a local sports store / gunshop that is closing. Because of this they have excellent discounts on ammo and reloading equipment and are not "in the mood" for asking lots of questions. I can see myself not running short on ammo in the short term if I jump at the opportunity ;)...

xyz
October 26th, 2003, 09:35 AM
xmarinevet, no thanks. Trying to post 9mm ammo or components to Australia is just asking for trouble. A form is needed for importing ammo or ANY components of it (be it primers, powder, cases, or projectiles, even airpellets) and you also have to seek approval from the firearms branch of the police.

I am willing to bet 10Kg of RDX that the recipient of the ammo would have ASIO, customs, and the local cuntstabulary bashing their door down in a matter of days.

irish
October 26th, 2003, 05:28 PM
xyz, Sorry I didn't make it very clear what I was saying (big night saturday night :D , what your friend told you is correct but to buy ammo you only have to show them your licence to prove you have one they don't make any sort of record as to who bought what etc.
They may not sell pistol ammo if you only have a A or B licence though some of them are a bit suss about that.

Components you don't need a licence for, if you do reload go to a pistol range and get a bag of once fired 9mm shells (single flash hole only) they will cost next to nothing also get a good reloading manuel don't improvise with powder loads til you know what you are doing as far as pressure goes.
You will be able to improvise everything exept for the powder measures (unless you weigh every load one at a time)

xyz
October 26th, 2003, 07:09 PM
irish, I am not the one who was wanting 9mm ammo anyway, I was suggesting ways of obtaining it to Ammonal.

There is plenty of good reloading data available online at powder manufacturers websites. Go to www.adi-limited.com for loading data for ADI powders, which should be available almost everywhere is Australia.

If you want to buy pistol ammo with an A or B license, just get a lever action cowboy rifle or a TC contender chambered for pistol calibres (you can have a contender with multiple barrels chambered for multiple pistol calibres).

Spartin13
October 26th, 2003, 07:36 PM
Hi please forgive me for asking this question (I'm new to this board and have tried to watch to learn) I was wondering what is FTP that has been refered to in this thread? Thank You

xyz
October 27th, 2003, 05:12 AM
The FTP is a service provided to some forum members that is now hosted by chemwarrior (it used to be hosted by Ctrl_C), where members can upload, share, and download books and information about explosives and weapons.

There is a form to apply for an FTP account that can be filled out on the main roge science page, but you have to have been a member for a while and proven your worth before you will be granted access.

xmarinevet
October 28th, 2003, 02:51 AM
Thanks to everyone who contributed. The damn things do jam. I even half loading the magizine but after 5 or 6 shots it usually jammed. I say piss on it. Any body got any idea how to make one semi auto. If I can figure out how I guess I'll just sell the parts or make a bolt action or something.