View Full Version : Pgp

klassasin
October 28th, 2003, 10:01 AM
Does anyone have a good tutorial on setting up PGP? I have just downloaded PGP 8.0 and I would like to know if anyone knows what I need to do to set it up. I have already made my Pub, Pri Keys. Any help is greatly appreciated.

- Klassasin

DBSP
October 28th, 2003, 10:34 AM
NBK has written a good one. I think it was on the old FTP, and it should be on the new one. If it isn't there yet, could someone uppload it please, I can't find mine right now.

wrench352
October 28th, 2003, 11:30 AM
Got it,I'd love to return the favor.I also have U.S Navy Seal Sniper manual,want it?
problem:I've never been on the FTP before,do I need cutefix to upload?Sorry I did not anticipate this.
Until I get an answer I'll stick it in my shared folder on Kazaa...this text has been very popular this week:) !

Sparky
October 28th, 2003, 11:04 PM
To access the FTP upload account you are best to have an FTP client like cuteftp. I use WSFTP. I think you can use your web browser but it will probably cause you more difficulty than you have to deal with. If you don't have an FTP account you can still use the upload account. You can find more detail in the FTP thread.

megalomania
October 29th, 2003, 04:34 PM
Nbk2000 did wright a tutorial, but I don't know if he intended it for the general public. I have a copy, but it was meant for the staff of The Forum to use. I don't know if he edited it for general release. The original tutorial contained personally indetifying information of nbk and the staff that precludes its release to the general public. He was supposed to re-release it, but I don't know if he ever did. Let's wait for the man himself to chime in eh?

wrench352
October 29th, 2003, 05:06 PM
whoops,sorry about that.I dont recall there being any sensitive info on it.
Hmm, I see what you mean now.I cant keep myself out of trouble here can I?
I had gone over it several times and didnt think there would have been a problem,after all it had made it to me and was a really good walk-thru.
I was under the assumption(yeah,I know) as long as I kept the authoring straight it would'nt be a problem.
NBK,I apologize,I hope there isnt a problem.

Rhadon
October 29th, 2003, 05:29 PM
I dont recall there being any sensitive info on it. Mega wasn't referring to the version you have but to the one which was only given to staff. If it had been published, the information wouldn't be a secret anymore anyway.

klassasin
October 30th, 2003, 12:26 AM
Just to clarify everything, to encrypt a text file with PGP I just right click it goto PGP -> and select Encrypt (8.0). Then do I just select who I want to receive it and then I select okay and I then give that person the encrypted file who can decrypt with their own private key?

Also in addition to the above I have a question. I have a couple of people's public keys on the forum and have noticed the size of their keys is 4096 while mine is only 2048. Does this somehow relate to the level of security involved? If yes, how do I increase my level of security? (Passphrase length?)

Rhadon
October 30th, 2003, 02:14 AM
...to encrypt a text file with PGP I just right click it goto PGP [...] who can decrypt with their own private key?Yes.

Does this somehow relate to the level of security involved? If yes, how do I increase my level of security? (Passphrase length?) Yes, it does affect the security PGP gives you. You can only set this value when creating a new key, it's an option of its own and has nothing to do with password length (although the latter does also affect the security of your key, obviously).

Lil_Guppy
October 30th, 2003, 06:48 AM
To increase your key size (to 4096), when you create a new key, click the 'Expert' button on the new key screen, and change the Key Size box to 4096 (or whatever you want)

nbk2000
November 2nd, 2003, 11:22 PM
God takes pity on the mortals. :p

klassasin
November 3rd, 2003, 09:48 AM
Why have thee not been gifted with God's grace?

Thank you for the PDF file. ;)