View Full Version : AN Fertilizer -Archive File

megalomania
September 29th, 2002, 06:58 PM
Detonator
Frequent Poster
posted January 25, 2001 09:09 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I got some kinda of fertilizer it says 20% N
I don't know what is it...!
It looks like Ammonium Sulfate (Brown-gray)
How can i find if it's AN??
It doesn't burn anyway...maybe they added some Ammonium phosphate...
Any help?

wantsomfet
Frequent Poster
posted January 25, 2001 09:36 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Pure AN fertilizer will say 32% N, and by the way it won't burn even if pure...

Anthony
posted January 25, 2001 01:57 PM
"Nxx%" would indicate the total amount of nitrogen in the fertilizer

firebreether
Frequent Poster
posted January 25, 2001 03:03 PM
Pure AN is 35 % Nitrogen! look for a 35-0-0 on the bag

ALENGOSVIG1
posted January 25, 2001 07:06 PM
ITS 34 ISNT IT?
------------------
Explosives Archive

Smartguy
A new voice
posted January 27, 2001 09:28 AM
Dissolve some in water. If it gets REAL cold, it may be AN.
The ammonium ion can be identified by adding NaOH or KOH to the solution. If NH4+ is present, you will smell ammonia.
Nitrates can be identified by what used to be called the 'ring-method'. Dissolve some of the solid to be identified in water. Add the same amount of sulphuric acid. Now make a solution of FeSO4 in a testtube. Using a pipette, place some of your samplesolution into the testtube under the FeSO4 solution. When nitrates are present, a brown ring will show separating the layers of liquids. (Any nitrate will be reduced to nitrite. The FeSO4 will be oxidized to Fe2(SO4)3. Together with the nitrite, this will have a dark brown color.)

Rhadon
Frequent Poster
posted January 27, 2001 10:28 AM
You can't be sure that you have pure ammonium nitrate even if you've got 35% nitrogen content. My fertilizer contains 35%, but half of it is potassium nitrate. The brownish color is made by a small amount of CaCO3 which has to be removed first, after doing so it's white.

Mr Cool
Frequent Poster
posted January 27, 2001 01:49 PM
What you have is very probably nitrate chalk, which is NH4NO3 and CaCO3. Dissolve it in boiling water to make a saturated solution and filter it to remove the CaCO3, and then evapourate the water off the solution to get hydrated NH4NO3. Then dry this in the oven at 90-100 *C for a few hours. When I buy nitrate chalk, it's always in little balls, 4mm or so in diameter. Is this what you have?

Smartguy
A new voice
posted January 29, 2001 06:50 PM
Mr. Cool is right: that's what I buy too.
(By the way, Detonator: there is no phosphate mixed in, or it would have stated so on the bag.)
A friend of mine didn't want to 'clean up' his fertilizer on one occasion. He just mixed the prills of nitrate chalc (chalkammonsaltpeter it's called overhere) with the appropriate amount of nitromethane. Detonated just fine!