View Full Version : Skin Windows!

The ALL-MIGHTY
November 4th, 2003, 10:47 PM
I don't know how many of you know of this program, but for those of your that don't you missing a lot. There's this program out there called WindowBlinds ( www.windowblinds.net ), and I have to say it rocks! I'm not advertising this or anything just passing on the word. With this thing you can download I think 2000+ skins for windows. When I say "skins", I mean it skins your window and your start menu, and even if you want too I think they have a program where you can make your own skins. Just look at the screen shots! It cost 20$, which isn't that bad for what this thing does. My god I thing this program rocks...

chemwarrior
November 5th, 2003, 12:50 AM
This is pointless... no one is going to waste their money on something as non-useful as that, unless they are looking to pawn it off to some other idiot for more than they bought it for...

The program doesnt do anything. Its not work 20 bucks... hell, its not worth 2 bucks.

T_Pyro
November 5th, 2003, 07:16 AM
Not really. Developing utterly useless software is a great way to fight back unemployment.;)
Besides, these are the kind of software that are the best candidates for "reverse engineering", (if you know what I mean), so that you can find out exactly how good you are at assembly language!

Anthony
November 5th, 2003, 02:20 PM
I wouldn't install it if it was free, probably not even if I was paid.

megalomania
November 6th, 2003, 12:37 AM
I had this program some months back, and it was good for a while… until the novelty wore off. The damn thing was so buggy that it crashed half the time. It really sucks down the ol system resources I suppose. I used a warez copy, and it was worth every penny ;) I don’t use it any more.

wrench352
November 6th, 2003, 01:29 PM
The program is a great concept,but it is a shitty program,I have a state of the art machine and it bogged down terribly and crashed often,didnt stay on my machine for a day

Spudkilla
November 6th, 2003, 07:53 PM
Ha. WindowBlinds is pretty much useless unless you are LAN gamer and want to impress all your buddies. If you really wanted to do something with Windows, you would install and customize your own shelled based account, like I did. For me, I have no more Windows GUI or interface. I don't think I'd even have to use PGP to make my computer unaccesible for the piggies :D ;)

I will include a screenshot if anybody is interested in seeing my desktop.

IDTB
November 6th, 2003, 09:45 PM
I'd love to take a look at it, Spudkilla. :)

vulture
November 7th, 2003, 04:54 PM
Look, everyone knows GUIs (Graphical User Interfaces) pretty much killed the usefullness of computers. NASA flew several men to the moon on the computing power of a 486, do you think that's still possible with a P4 Wintel machine??

So, applying another GUI on an OS (that's right! A big scary OS! Run! :eek: ) GUI is just asking for too much trouble!

Spudkilla
November 7th, 2003, 08:10 PM
My desktop, picture one (http://www.angelfire.com/alt2/countminuso/desk1.jpg) . (623k)

My desktop, picture two (http://www.angelfire.com/alt2/countminuso/desk2.jpg) . (609k)

Sorry for the large image sizes, I wanted you to have the full feel of it. The second picture shows the command bar hidden.

Vulture, my computer has been fine with the modifications I have done with it, and I have encountered no problems.

xyz
November 7th, 2003, 11:18 PM
Angelfire have deleted the images (before anyone asks, yes, I have tried copying and pasting the link).

Upload them to the FTP.

T_Pyro
November 8th, 2003, 03:22 AM
Originally posted by vulture
Look, everyone knows GUIs (Graphical User Interfaces) pretty much killed the usefullness of computers.

Isn't that too much of an exaggeration? I mean, imagine using photoshop/pagemaker/Cakewalk etc. on a command-line interface!

If I remember correctly, even the Hubble Space Telescope uses an on-board computer based on the 486, but such computers cannot be compared with a normal desktop PC. Computers used in the space program have specific programs stored in them, which perform several pre-defined tasks on-demand, or repetitively. The hardware being used is specific, so there are no driver hassles.
Such an architecture is worlds apart from the normal desktop PC, where the OS has to have an array of drivers to manage the different types of hardware beneath it, and at the same time provide a standard API which a plethora of applications can utilize. Making the OS compatible with a few thousand-odd types of hardware, as well as providing a standardised API for the programs is no mean feat, as is evident from the performance hit to a desktop PC loaded with the latest OS.

I don't mean to be offensive, but how many of you out there, who have stated the disadvantages of a GUI, still use a GUI? If GUI's have killed the usefulness of computers, why do you still hang on to them? Go ahead, revert back to surfing the net with the command prompt!

vulture
November 8th, 2003, 07:28 AM
Ofcourse I'm using a GUI...

You guys really have a hard time identifying humerous rants from angry rants...:confused:

Anyways, I use the dos command line alot. Beats the heck out of all those crappy config tools in windows. IP address renewal for example....

HORNYwithPANDAS
November 10th, 2003, 06:09 PM
I had this program for a while and it turned out to be a dissapointment. My major issure with it was that there was very few skins which I liked. This is pretty sad considering they have over 2000. It also seems to be a comlpete waste of space.