View Full Version : AP manufacture..risk factor? -archive file

megalomania
October 7th, 2002, 02:56 PM
Whats the risk at these stages? Say a 1-10 scale OR a "Wont blow", "May blow" etc.
1) mixing chemicals

2) letting sit

3) filtering

4) letting dry

Edd
Frequent Poster
posted December 21, 2000 11:20 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1) won't blow
2) won't blow
3) won't blow
4) won't blow (unless you're dumb and dry it with a blow torch)

DarkAngel
Frequent Poster
posted December 21, 2000 01:56 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HaHaHaa!!
But look out for sparks it`s very flammable
------------------
Go to Section1 <a href="http://www.section1.f2s.com" target="_blank">http://www.section1.f2s.com</a> Alot off Bombs/Explosives and Homemade Weapons!!

SofaKing
Frequent Poster
posted December 22, 2000 10:02 AM
You left out WASHING, if you don't wash it your asking for big trouble in step 4. And dry it nicly not in the sun or the oven it's heat sensetive !!!!

Bubba
Frequent Poster
posted December 22, 2000 10:07 AM
Whats washing involve?

Edd
Frequent Poster
posted December 22, 2000 11:02 AM
the easiest way is to just pour a whole bunch of water through your filter. if you don't wash it it's -very- sensitive, and you can't put it in anything metal, as any traces of acid will react with it.

Arthis
Frequent Poster
posted December 22, 2000 11:47 AM
Don't frighten newbies. If your AP is acid, you'll have problems with metals, but if you put it in a glass you may not have any. And the stability is not bad, I think of the 150g which have stayed on my desk for two weeks..

Lost
Frequent Poster
posted December 22, 2000 09:15 PM
Better to frighten them then to let them think its not dangerous, and die because of it.
------------------
-Lost
<a href="http://www.noneinc.org" target="_blank">http://www.noneinc.org</a>

SofaKing
Frequent Poster
posted December 23, 2000 11:04 AM
Yeah copious amounts of cold tap water work fine, I would add a bit of baking soda for an added mesure.

blackadder
Frequent Poster
posted December 30, 2000 05:29 PM
This may sound a bit stupid, but its better to be safe than get my arse blown to shit.
When one adds baking soda as a safety measure, why does it make the mixture safer?

[This message has been edited by blackadder (edited December 30, 2000).]

PYRO500
posted December 30, 2000 06:02 PM
the baking soda (being a base) neutralizes the acid and makes the ap less acidic so that certain things like metals dont react with it

Anthony
posted December 30, 2000 06:07 PM
The sodium bi-carbonate is a base and will neutralize any remaining acid left in the AP.

Cricket
Frequent Poster
posted December 30, 2000 06:10 PM
So if I wash my AP with water and baking soda, will it react with metals?

PYRO500
posted December 30, 2000 09:29 PM
I would think not, but just to be on the safe side dont mix ap with metals!

Anthony
posted December 30, 2000 09:39 PM
I'll second that, AP corrodes steel badly. Whats's better, wash the AP in a bicarb of saod solution, or mix dry bicarb into the wahed and dried AP?

Cricket
Frequent Poster
posted December 30, 2000 10:02 PM
I think the soultion would be the best to be sure it gets ALL the AP neutralised. And if you mix the Baking Soda and AP (dry), itl be less powerfull.

PYRO500
posted December 30, 2000 10:44 PM
I mix ap with baking soda to keep it from detonating and use it like gunpowder

blackadder
Frequent Poster
posted December 31, 2000 06:15 AM
If you are having trouble putting your AP in pipes, then you should wrap the ap in clingfoil first, then put it in the pipe.

Anthony
posted December 31, 2000 11:34 AM
Or a plastic baggie with the fuse sticking out the top.
For pressing AP for blasting caps, I was think of pressing it into a paper tub that fits inside the metal cap casing. It would be safer if it went off during pressing and would also keep it out of contact with the metal.

PYRO500
posted December 31, 2000 02:20 PM
I dont think it is a very good Idea to store ap in a glass container (incase of accidents)

Cricket
Frequent Poster
posted December 31, 2000 02:47 PM
When you mix your AP with baking soda, does it poof like in small quantites, or like Pyrodex?

PYRO500
posted December 31, 2000 03:15 PM
when I mix my ap with baking soda it poofs, and is like very fast burning gunpowder, I have not tried it in too lare quantities yet so experiment with caution

Cricket
Frequent Poster
posted December 31, 2000 03:20 PM
What % do you use?

PYRO500
posted December 31, 2000 03:22 PM
somewhere around 25% baking soda by volume

Microtek
Frequent Poster
posted January 05, 2001 01:44 PM
Come on! The great thing about AP is that it
is a high explosive, so if you want a safer charge then pack it tightly. If you are afraid that it may react with the metal in your pipes or detonators, coat the inside with varnish. You could also mix the AP with another, more stable explosive such as picric acid or TNT (if you have access to these). Finally there is the AP/NC putty. Or you could work on a plasticizer.
But please don't use it as gunpowder.