View Full Version : Constant Powder/Granule reaction addition

THe_rEaL_dEaL
November 8th, 2003, 08:57 AM
Today I was dreaming up some picric acid via the KNO<sub>3</sub> Sulfuric Acid process.

During the tedious step of the nitrate addition to the solution, it constantly fumed as I became impatient and also because I accidently poured too much nitrate into the beaker at one time. (result: SH IT *running from the fuming beaker grabing a deep breath of fresh air running back stirring.....face goin red...running to get some air*) by then the fuming had stopped and I had mixed all of the added nitrate.

Got me thinking there must be a constant way of adding this shit over a long semi-supervised period (watch the reaction from safe location, while addition and mech stirrer do their thing = less potential N0<sub>2</sub> exposure :cool: )

My idea is to chop an hourglass in half, above the middle and seal a filter funnel (- long tip) or some sort of container with funnel shape at the bottom to the half eggtimer.

An eggtimer could be choosen which has the satisfatory flowrate and could be supported above the picric/whatever reaction vessel with a retort stand and some clamps and the reaction watched to completion while a magnetic stirrer constantly stirs the beaker/flask.

This is assuming the KNO<sub>3</sub> or the applicable powder needed for addition was in granular form in a finely divided enough state to pass through the small end of the hourglass.

If the powder is too large to fit through the small hole some ball milling, if safe, could be done to the powder or a larger ID holed hourglass could be substituted.

This way a costant flow of the powder granules could be facilitated and the reaction with the aid of a stirring device could go to completion ready for the next step with the absence of close supervision. The person could stand in a safe area and escape potential NOx,S0x etc. gas exposure during the solid addition.

Cheap hourglasses can be obtained from cooking stores where I live

Tuatara
November 9th, 2003, 04:54 AM
Nice idea, but I've noticed that fine powders tend to jam in narrow openings. Getting powders to flow freely is not always easy.

How about something like a small Archimedes screw, driven by a slow motor, to lift the powder from a reservoir up into your reaction vessel?

Even a small conveyor belt might work.

blindreeper
November 9th, 2003, 06:46 AM
I was thinking along the same lines. Getting one of those large drill bits for drilling holes in fence posts for barbed wire to go go through. Then having a pice of PVC pipe that would fid snugly against the drill bit. Then have the reservoir at one end and the other end where the powder is being ejected hanging over the beaker or what not. If you wanted it to go slow you could put a big flywheel on the end of the drill bit and then have a windscreen wiper motor with a small cog driving it. Makes it turn REALLY slow; I know this because its how I do my spit roasts :)

If you are adding liquids you could have the reservoir full of the liquid with a string of some sort coming out of the bottom of the container. The liquid will drip down the string oto the solution and vola! I think that was mentioned by a forum member, maybe nbk...

Tuatara
November 9th, 2003, 05:18 PM
Hell yes! An auger bit would work brilliantly! Heck, if you couldn't find the right size pipe you could simply use the auger to drill an exact size hole in something suitable.

THe_rEaL_dEaL
November 10th, 2003, 10:49 AM
This auger idea sounds hell good but would be limited to powders that arent friction sensitive.
Still sound like great idea.

This idea has been used by pyros to crush up solids or pelets and etc coarse powders bigger than the thread gap in the auger

A sive or filter of some guage/mesh could be placed under the crushed powder trail of the auger.

A vibration aparatus of some sort could be utilised in a funnel closed at the bottom to move the larger fragments to the top of the pile. The bottom of the auger could be set to only reach to the height of the large pebbles. A sort of recycling process could be setup with the raised powder falling into the funnel.

Some mods to this Idea: A funnel shaped sive of a set mesh could be used for the auger to draw out of and this way the large parts that fail to fit the mesh are drawn up and further crushed to fall onto the sieve and either fall through or be drawn up for further crushing.

This device could be left and a desired mesh of powder could be achieved with little to no supervision. The sleeve for the auger could be a filter funnel and the auger a drill bit or a screw.

Just unleased my imagination then so its raw info
What do you all think of this idea?
Deffinetly need some tweaks but I'm gonna try this some time

As you can see english was never my best subject :D