View Full Version : PGP Disk- More than 1 password

peterthesmart
November 8th, 2003, 08:29 PM
Does anyone know how to assign a PGP disk more than 1 password, each leading to a different section of the file? This would be useful since 1 password would lead to "normal files" or things related to banking that you wouldnt want other people to get their hands on. The other password would lead to information on explosives and such, which could be incriminating to yourself. This could be useful in fooling people you have nothing to hide.

Rhadon
November 8th, 2003, 11:35 PM
I don't think that this is possible. The way I solve that problem is to create several PGPdisks which works fine. Perhaps you could even set the same drive letter for all of them so it would pretty much be like what you wanted to do. As long as you do only mount one of them at a time this should work fine.

Jacks Complete
November 16th, 2003, 07:17 PM
peterthesmart,

That would be a great trick, sadly, PGP won't do it.

There are other programmes that let you do things like this, (called "stenography") and it lets you hide text inside a picture, for example. Obviously, hiding a 200k pyro text inside a 2K gif isn't smart, but you know...

Anyway, have a look around.

Ideally, you would be able to hide it in a load of different ways, so that two different keys would show the different things you want to hide. I could see a way to do it with something like text files, but since most things these days are videos, pdfs or jpg images, they are already quite well compressed, and anything else you wanted to encrypt (Finance info, for example) would be in something bloaty like Excel or M$ Word, so would compress down tiny. Since most encryption systems compress as well, you would get caught when the investigators looked at the 20Gb partition, and realised that ten Gb was missing!

Of course, if you wrote it just right, it would "hide" that part of the listing, and if they scanned the physical disk, well, what is the difference between nothing, and random bits, and encrypted data? A file, it would be obvious. On an encrypted disk partition, nothing! On the disk partition the size never changes!

Sadly, though, this is beyond (way beyond) my programming skill!

If you do find anything like I discribe, please tell the forum, as I'd buy that for a dollar!

James
November 21st, 2003, 02:10 AM
PGPDisk might not handle it correclty, but any RFC compliant openPGP program shouldn't even blink. Mounting it as a filesystem could be tricky. Boring tech. details, openPGP files are made up of chunks. the chunks contain usefull bits of information. For example a message from Bob to Alice, would contain a symetric key encrypted message chunk, and a chunk containing the symetric key encyted by asymetric key(s). A PGPdisk variant would work, if you could get it.

Darkbloodpriest
November 22nd, 2003, 06:57 AM
I swear to all that is holy(and some that isn't)...
IF I HAVE TO EXPLAIN STEGANOGRAPHY ONE MORE TIME.... :D
*sigh*
HEY! If someone wants hidden files that are encrypted
check out encrypted magic folders at www.pc-magic.com
Not sure on the strength of the current encryption though...
I'm sure it would be good enough for anything short of missile codes...

jelly
December 3rd, 2003, 11:31 PM
peterthesmart:

I highly recommend BestCrypt 7.x. It's one of the best encryption programs and
has exactly the feature you are looking for!

..."BestCrypt v.7 also allows the creation of hidden containers - containers not
evident to an intruder. You can simply create another (hidden) container inside
already existing (shell) container. Data stored inside shell and hidden containers can
be completely different, passwords for the containers are also different, and it is not
possible to determine whether the shell container has a hidden container inside it, or
not. Version 7 help documentation contains detailed information on the creation and
management of hidden containers...".

BestCrypt Homepage: http://www.jetico.com/index.htm#/bcrypt7.htm

Jacks Complete
December 4th, 2003, 10:00 AM
Is it on the FTP?

I really don't want to blow any more money this month.

Are you using BestCrypt, then? Is it as good as the site says?

jelly
December 4th, 2003, 01:50 PM
For me it's the best program of this sort. I have been using it for many years... without any problems!
Note that it's an european product. There's no NSA backdoor in it :)

Download the evaluation version of BestCrypt and try it out. If you don't want to pay
for the program you can find cracked or serialized versions on eDonkey or similar P2P networks.
But it's worth the money ;)

"..... Fully functional versions for evaluation purposes will function for 30 days from
the date of installation. A Help-file is included. At the end of the trial period all
containers become accessible in read-only mode, so you will only be able to read your data.
After purchase registration is simple - we will email you a serial number which you enter
in the registration area in the Help Menu and previously created containers will
once again be fully accessible. Your data is always safe and accessible....."