View Full Version : Thermite Bullets

anarchist666
November 8th, 2003, 10:01 PM
Thermite is a power packed substance and it would be great if a thermite payload could be delivered in bullet form.

An idea I had was to drill a hole 7mm in diameter inside a 9mm bullet... then fill the hole with thermite and cap the hole with a magnesium plug. The bullet will turn into molten lead and iron inside the victims body. However, Im not sure if gunpowder is hot enough to light magnesium.

What are your thoughts?

+++++++++++++++++
We'll keep the color of our posts to white, will we?
Rhadon

irish
November 8th, 2003, 10:36 PM
I don't think smokeless powder will set off magnesium, (I'm presuming that you are talking about drilling the hole in the back of the slug?). Also it's going to be far to small an amount of Thermite to do anything worth the bother of putting it in there, if it was .50 or a 12 gauge slug it may have some use for starting fires, setting of fuel tanks etc. but I can't see any point in small incindery (sp) rounds for anti-personell use.

PS. the red type in your post looks awfull ;) .

xyz
November 8th, 2003, 10:42 PM
Military .50 cal API rounds contain a thermite core and an impact sensitive ignitor.

You would want to mix a strong oxidiser with the magnesium (powder it), this should ignite from the smokeless and also be hot enough to ignite the thermite.

Jacks Complete
November 9th, 2003, 06:36 PM
As it happens, I was doing this at the bonfire party I was at last night! After setting off the shop fireworks, I tried this.

Using lab grade iron oxide (red) and aluminium powder, mixed approx 3:2 by volume (could have been 2:1), I failed to get ignition when using smokeless propellant. It was slow stuff, a mix out of pulled Eygptian army ammo (which is cheap and crap!) with a bit of Bullseye thrown in for bulk. I thought it was the Thermite, as it was mixed at least three years ago, but it went fine when I touched a sparkler to it.

So no, it won't work. Pehaps with more powder, or a faster powder? I didn't have much smokeless, and I was setting it up in near darkness. I tried it because alt.pyro suggested that it was quite good, but there you go.

From memory, I used to have fun getting Thermite started. The best way I ever came up with was either potassium or sodium chlorate and sugar mix. Make a pile of your Thermite, stick a few bits of magnesium ribbon in it, sticking out like a fuse, then pour some KClO3/Sugar mix on it. Then light it by throwing on a match. It would go really easy, and the Thermite would go from the Mg fuse, which went from the chlorate mix.

As an aside, we wanted to try to get it so we could set it up so it went of when it rained, using sodium to light the chlorate mix, but we couldn't get it to work. Probably a good job, thinking about what it was going to be used for!! (It was very silly)

NickSG
November 9th, 2003, 07:58 PM
Unless you reload, dont even try. Prying the bullet out with plyers severely damages the bullet, and trying to put it back into the casing and making it fit into the chamber of a gun would be nearly impossible.

Look for tracer bullets. They come in just about ever caliber out there, and would give reults similar to what you suggested. They are pretty expensive, so its not a bullet you can take to the range every week.

Arkangel
November 10th, 2003, 08:33 AM
My thoughts are that you don't really understand thermite any more than you understand bullets.

I'm not going to grace your idea with any more "on topic" remarks, but I DO want to say that it's a sad reflection on the forum today that a dullard newbie like you can make an idiotic thread like this his first post and doesn't get shown the door immediately.

Rhadon
November 10th, 2003, 09:37 AM
I considered banning him when I saw his post, but that was at about 04:30 AM and I was so stoned that I was in doubt whether I could judge that case appropriately :). So he has a second chance, let's see if he makes use of it. Experience shows that they never do, but let's wait and see...

Axt
November 11th, 2003, 09:03 AM
Every fucking new post seems to be a newb with something stupid to say. Start banning people, Starting with the twit above, then going on to every other newb with 1st post new topics.

Make them scared again. :mad:

DBSP
November 11th, 2003, 09:09 AM
Done....:D