View Full Version : War on information?

Wild Catmage
November 10th, 2003, 06:35 AM
After reading through the news on teletext (UK TV based text news) I noticed that the law has screwed over an Algerian guy for possessing information likely to be of use to terrorists. Sure, he's Algerian and probably a terrorist :D , but what happened to free speech and my right to read what I want? What happened to my right to privacy and protection of that privacy by law? Freedom of thought, conscience, and religion?
Freedom of opinion and expression?
***End whining rant***

I found related articles on the web:

A police spokesman earlier said the man was being questioned about "possessing information likely to be of use to terrorists". "It does show that Northern Ireland is not exempt from an international terrorist dimension," Orde said. "What we've proved by this arrest and this dimension is that we are determined to fight terrorism at every level, not just local terrorism."
http://www.muslimnews.co.uk/news/news.php?article=6166

There's also an article on the Guardian's page at http://www.guardian.co.uk/Northern_Ireland/Story/0,2763,1078803,00.html

I guess I'll be needing a good lawyer, for when the pigs kick in my door at four in the morning and haul my ass off to the cop shop.

grandyOse
November 10th, 2003, 01:45 PM
can' find the quote text button "but what happened to free speech and my right to read what I want? What happened to my right to privacy and protection of that privacy by law? Freedom of thought, conscience, and religion?
Freedom of opinion and expression? "

I didn't even know limeys were supposed to have any rights. Here in the land of the free, they have criminalized emotions, hence the hate-crimes laws. I guess if you murder someone out of love, you get rewarded? Of course possession of substances and objects has long been illigal. It won't be long until information is illigal, then the thought police will come a'knockin'.

ah, the inevitable slide into tyrany once complacency sets in. It is now a couple of generations too late to take back this country, and it's the last one, too. Too bad, world; you had a chance and you fucked it off.

Australia really went in the shitter when the people turned in their firearms. Now it's our turn, amerika. Time to join the rest of the world in poverty and slavery.

zeocrash
November 10th, 2003, 02:42 PM
yeah us brits are actually not garenteed(sp??) any freedom of speech, unlike the US where it's a constitutional right, as demonstrated in the recent injunction placed on the newspapers about prince charlie's homosexual activities.

grandyOse
November 10th, 2003, 03:25 PM
You probably are already aware of this, and it is easier to use the word, "gaurantee" (I can't spell it either). But our constitution does not gaurantee rights to individuals. The fist ten ammendments (the Bill of Rights) to our constitution are an admission by the government that the people (individuals and groups) have certain rights granted by God by simply existing as humans. It also admonishes government not to usurp those God given rights. The second amendment suggests our only means of gauranteeing our own liberty.

I will stop being a soap-box whore at this time. thank you.

knowledgehungry
November 10th, 2003, 05:16 PM
To a certain extent I would imagine they wouldnt care too much about people like us, if we were arabic or northern irish then theyd lock us up for knowledge, but they have no reason to suspect we would use it against others.

chemistr1
November 10th, 2003, 08:04 PM
FolKs,
Dont be nieave, everyone that is registered in forums like this is logged and traced and then placed on a list somewhere. Thats democracy lol. The goverments know that some of its citizens have the study or practice of pyro subjects as a hobby. They will let us be up until we get a Michael Ryan type situation ( for foriegn members, he was a nut that was legally registered as a firearms holder that went on a rampage and killed about 13 people and toatally screwed up UK gun laws) with homemade pyro methods, before coming for all of us. We are all on an easy to collect target list to prove to all the worried citizens that the gverment is on top of things when something goes wrong.This isnt paranoia I was questioned 15 years ago by the AT branch Scotland Yard (for something I never did) and I am still on the list, my mate is in the security forces in NI and a few years ago I was going to visit but when he did a security check on me for base entry permits it came up as flagged as a PT. Which I guess means potential terrorist. Needless to say I wasnt going to get no base pass. Yet Osama is still at loose?:confused:

Wild Catmage
November 11th, 2003, 05:53 AM
Some bastard vandalsed my city's war memorial :mad:

There's now several silhouettes of an ape wearing an apron on it. This has really pissed me off, especially as it was on Rememberence day.

Oh well, shit happens and there's not much I can do to change it.

Nevermore
November 11th, 2003, 06:59 AM
Originally posted by chemistr1
FolKs,
.This isnt paranoia I was questioned 15 years ago by the AT branch Scotland Yard (for something I never did) and I am still on the list, my mate is in the security forces in NI and a few years ago I was going to visit but when he did a security check on me for base entry permits it came up as flagged as a PT. Which I guess means potential terrorist. Needless to say I wasnt going to get no base pass. Yet Osama is still at loose?:confused:

well i agree with you, we are all on the list, the paranoia of the government is controlling everything everyone in every moment.. remembers me orwell's 1984, we will soon end up like that.is a pity they spend so much forces to do stupid things like tracking all the forumites, instead of fighting the crime..

tmp
November 22nd, 2003, 08:43 PM
If we are to regain our civil rights, we have to get the liberals voted out of office.
They are the enemies of the CONSTITUTION, not the defenders they claim to be.
In fact, this is what liberals want: control of the masses, disarmed crime victims,
dependence on government, police states, create special rights for society's
bottom-feeders who commit crimes to support their existence or fantasies.
The liberals, of course, invoke the BILL OF RIGHTS in the CONSTITUTION to
save the bottom-feeders from imprisonment and execution when society wants
it as justice for their crimes.

The liberals don't give a shit about the rest of us until election time, and then they
try to get our votes by claiming to be a man/woman "of the people". After the
election its back to the same punitive taxation and regulation used to control us
and to buy votes from the bottom-feeders by giving our tax money to those assholes.

EDIT: Anthony, you're right. I can't blame one group for all of these problems.
THE PATRIOT ACT OF 2001 is a good example where conservatives acted badly.
However, from personal experience, I can blame liberals for most problems.

Blackhawk
November 22nd, 2003, 11:49 PM
"Some bastard vandalsed my city's war memorial
There's now several silhouettes of an ape wearing an apron on it. This has really pissed me off, especially as it was on Rememberence day."

Heh, that sucks, wild catmage, most of what is sprayed on stuff is pure crap, what the hell is the point of spraying an ape with an apron, if you wan't to annoy people at least do it saying something worthwhile, and in tune with the times. One good piece of grafiti I have been told about was in Northan Ireland, saying

"Is there life before death"

Which I thought was quite good, especially in tune with the conflict going on there.

ronald
November 23rd, 2003, 05:28 AM
1) An Algerian should have no rights in UK or whatever european nation, sadly, they have.
2) Ive heard that the lack of freedom of speech is a more bigger problem in the US than UK
3) Banning an article discussing about Prince Charles homosexuality is not a matter of no freedom of speech, but a matter of good freedom of not getting lynched by some shitty yellow newspaper that only idiots read. I think its better to have some kind of govermental "big brother" knowing what you are doing, than those yellow newspapers. The sad thing is that they dont need to know anything to publish a story, they think it up.

Anthony
November 23rd, 2003, 09:13 AM
tmp, you can't assign all governmental problems to one party - they're all the same, they telll the same lies, they're all as bad.

vulture
November 23rd, 2003, 01:44 PM
Anthony, you could have put that MUCH shorter.

Let me show you how it should be done:

Q:Why does the government suck?
A: It consists of politicians.

:p