View Full Version : Bird Bombs for signal guns?

Macgyver
November 13th, 2003, 09:40 AM
I recently aquired a box of them after quite a lot of searching around.

Mine are red and about 5-6 cm long, 15mm diameter. Haven't tested one yet, but they are supposed to be something like a M80 fired from a signal gun.

Anyone else have experience with these fun things?

Wild Catmage
November 13th, 2003, 09:56 AM
I saw them being used on the airfield that I flew from. I asked the instructor who was with me why the guy was firing them, and he replied that they were used to scare birds away from the arifield to reduce the chance of a birdstrike happening during takeoff and landing. They were loud enough to be heard over the noise of the engine when we were inside the plane. I'd judge that they reach a height of about 30 metres before going "bang".

They're probably not of much use in an urban environment, except for scaring away sheeple and causing other trouble, which will cause the armed response unit to turn up. :D

Arkangel
November 13th, 2003, 11:47 AM
They normally have a bright star, which explodes after a second or so of flight. They are generally a 12 gauge cartridge, although they shouldn't be fired from a shotgun - be carefull with them, they might fuck your gun and/or hurt you. The most common way to fire them is from a 38mm signal pistol, with a 12gauge sub-cal adapter, although it would be fairly easy to make yourself a slam bang device, since accuracy isn't really an issue anyway.

If you look around, you can also find some quite cool "smoke puff" cartridges, although they are normally just in 38mm - they don't have the flare or star, just a decent size cloud of smoke.

PHAID
November 13th, 2003, 06:57 PM
The 12 gauge bird bombs work quite well in a shotgun and they do sound about as loud as an m-80.

They are not that hard to find around here and have a range of around 30-50 meters.

I havnt taken one apart yet to see what type and amount of charge they use.

try these sites.
http://www.deer-busters.com/bird-control-pyrotechnics---launchers.html
http://hometown.aol.com/ramlasers/ammo.html

Macgyver
November 13th, 2003, 09:59 PM
Originally posted by Arkangel
They normally have a bright star, which explodes after a second or so of flight. They are generally a 12 gauge cartridge, although they shouldn't be fired from a shotgun - be carefull with them, they might fuck your gun and/or hurt you. The most common way to fire them is from a 38mm signal pistol, with a 12gauge sub-cal adapter, although it would be fairly easy to make yourself a slam bang device, since accuracy isn't really an issue anyway.

If you look around, you can also find some quite cool "smoke puff" cartridges, although they are normally just in 38mm - they don't have the flare or star, just a decent size cloud of smoke.

I do have the proper means of firing these suckers. 9mm signal pistol with an adaptor for flares and such.

Arkangel
November 14th, 2003, 05:31 AM
That sounds odd.......

Can you post any pics?

Ta

Macgyver
November 14th, 2003, 08:10 AM
Originally posted by Arkangel
That sounds odd.......

Can you post any pics?

Ta

Pictures coming up on the same site as the pumpkin movie was on shortly.

Just got to reboot to Windows and transfer them from my digital camera, got photos of both birdbomb + gun used to fire them.

http://www.imagestation.com

id: theforum
pass: viewingpics

Look in the folder "Birdbombs"...

Damn! Seems they didn't approve of the exploding pumpkin, that account is closed. I'll get back with the pictures as soon as I have uploaded them somewhere!

Jacks Complete
November 14th, 2003, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by PHAID
[B]The 12 gauge bird bombs work quite well in a shotgun and they do sound about as loud as an m-80.

I haven't ever heard an M-80, being from across the pond, but my 12 is easily heard from a half a mile away, more if it is quiet. So why do you need a special cartridge? Just use a BP saluting blank. Very loud and a big cloud of BP smoke.

On a related note, has anyone ever played with any other fun cartridges for a 12? or Should I search/start a new topic?

PHAID
November 14th, 2003, 07:02 PM
The actual firing of the shotgun with a bird bomb gives a mild report.
The blast from the bird bomb is louder than the normal report of the shotgun.

If you look around you can find them linked in a chain with fuse for lighting as well.

Ive tried a few of the oddball 12 ga. rounds, what would you like to know?

Great thing about here is we have a semi anual machinegun shoot at Knob Creek shooting range and you can find about anything you like there.:cool:

dana_m_h
November 14th, 2003, 07:22 PM
shoot your bird bombs outta one of these 12 ga improvised pipe pistols http://www.roguesci.org/theforum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=575&highlight=screw+action

FrankRizzo
November 14th, 2003, 07:43 PM
I believe that Macgyver is talking about bird bombs for 15mm flare guns. I bought a couple of boxes before they became an "agricultural use only" item here in the US. They're basically a 2" red tube containing 1.5g of flash powder with a yellow plastic stopper in one end, and a black powder based fuse pellet crimped in the other. The blank cartridge used to propel them, lights the fuse and sends it about 75'.

The report on these things is fairly impressive to someone who has only heard 50mg crackers (ie. most kids born after 1980) , but they aren't 3.5g M-80 caliber :)

Here's a picture of 'em:
http://www.gemplers.com/pix/prod/P12218.jpg

Macgyver
November 15th, 2003, 01:09 AM
Originally posted by FrankRizzo
I believe that Macgyver is talking about bird bombs for 15mm flare guns. I bought a couple of boxes before they became an "agricultural use only" item here in the US. They're basically a 2" red tube containing 1.5g of flash powder with a yellow plastic stopper in one end, and a black powder based fuse pellet crimped in the other. The blank cartridge used to propel them, lights the fuse and sends it about 75'.

The report on these things is fairly impressive to someone who has only heard 50mg crackers (ie. most kids born after 1980) , but they aren't 3.5g M-80 caliber :)

Here's a picture of 'em:
http://www.gemplers.com/pix/prod/P12218.jpg

That's exactly like those I have!

Jacks Complete
November 15th, 2003, 09:01 PM
PHAID,

I was wondering about starting a thread on exotic 12g cartridges. Some of them are really rather cool.

There are the various slugs, tracer, different shot sizes, and so on, and we could do a "show and tell" kind of thing. I heard of a rather neat improvised slug, and I am sure others here do some cool stuff too.

I seriously doubt if UK subjects could ever get anything like these crow-scarers. Slugs are section 1 (firearms certificate, which means *very* strictly controlled - you have to have type approval!) as is anything over .36 diameter shot, or with fewer than 6 bits of shot. We can get a type of tracer, though.

Anyway, I have just started it, in this section. :)
http://www.roguesci.org/theforum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3350

Does someone want to add a "review" of these crow-scarers?

Macgyver
November 16th, 2003, 08:33 PM
Originally posted by Jack's Complete
Does someone want to add a "review" of these crow-scarers?

I will do that as soon as I get time to go outside of town to test them.

Don't think my neighbours would appreciate me firing a 9mm blank gun with crow scarers flying all over the place :D

Macgyver
November 25th, 2003, 09:06 AM
Okay, I've tested one of them now.

It was quite loud, not as loud as a homemade M-80, but not far from though.

It's a pity that they're not available without license over here, but hopefully I can get a few more if I ask nice enough again :D